Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels not dropping prices

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Hotels not dropping prices

checking hotel prices for Marriott and Hyatt hotels in Miami, New York and Cancun for mid-March 2020. Hotels are not dropping their prices despite many people cancelling business and personal travel due to the outbreak. What gives ?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:10 pm

Right now hotels know that most travel happening is essential and dropping prices won't likely spur additional travelers.
Sjoerd and drewguy like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:49 pm

It only makes sense to drop the prices if you think it will lead to additional rooms being sold. As above, most travel happening now is probably essential and not very price sensitive.

There probably does exist a price below which you would convince people to travel, but it’s probably below the line of profitability.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Agreed... whatever demand for travel remains is quite inelastic. I’m sure a few bargain hunters would bite but on the whole dropping prices would hurt what little business they’re still getting, rather than drive much more business.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:42 pm

i have to say i can't wait until coronavirus passes and hotel occupancy will be down in the dumps still - good deals then!
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:47 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Not true for my hotel, I'd say it is discounted 20-30% of what I stay last Nov/Dec and even Jan/Feb.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Disagree. I am getting great rates in San Francisco the past week and for next week. So perhaps it depends which city you are in. Deals are across board (IHG, Hilton, and Marriott) although I do agree - it's only at some properties, not all. Specifically, check properties that have conferences... they likely cancelled leaving great deals behind.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Because you don’t buy demand.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:29 am
Suspended

There is always a minimum price at any hotel. As the demand goes up, the price goes up. Right now, there is very few demand, so the price stay at the minimum price level, and this is a good deal. You will not see $50 for a 5 star hotel, period.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Mama
There is always a minimum price at any hotel. As the demand goes up, the price goes up. Right now, there is very few demand, so the price stay at the minimum price level, and this is a good deal. You will not see $50 for a 5 star hotel, period.
I doubt the price is at the "minimum price level", even if a hotel has that. Pricing is set according to the conditions. If people were not travelling because they had no money (e.g. an economic depression, such as what may follow the coronapanic) then prices would absolutely come down further than they have, because lower prices would encourage travel. In this case, lower prices will not encourage (much) travel, so reducing prices further would simply reduce revenue.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: LH M+M
Hotels in Japan: -20 to -40% (even central tokyo at main cherry blossom time)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Hotels in Japan: -20 to -40% (even central tokyo at main cherry blossom time)
-20 to -40% off the peak rate or the lowest rate?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by Mama
-20 to -40% off the peak rate or the lowest rate?
I dont know when/what peak rate was. I booked mid-January for 660 EUR, now it's down to 349 (6 nights in shinjuku)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
The price action will be on the consolidator sites and finding good BRGs. I was considering a holiday to take advantage of the situation and found a few BRG opportunities so that would be my recommendation.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
for what it is worth ( well my 2c worth ) my prediction for hotel prices is that after ( may take six to 12 months to clear ) the virus travel situation, there will be a global recession,, and that's when the hotel / flights / travel prices will become lower, but not by much. Its not a good trade to get lower prices ......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.