Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 and travel/medical insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19 and travel/medical insurance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:25 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by theplayer
I went with Allianz. They supposedly cover extra hotel costs and just need antigen positive test.

OK update us if you ever file a successful claim.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Perhaps Mike and his team at the Trip Insurance Store could help you find the right insurance policy to fit your needs:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by chanieish
Hi all,

I am shopping for the best travel insurance possible and am looking for one with a very high trip delay coverage (~$50,000). The highest I could find was $7,000

The reason is my fiance and I have saved for a luxury Maldives vacation that costs $4,500 per night. However after discussing with the resort, they said that currently if you test positive a 14 day quarantine is required and they charge daily room rate. You are not allowed to go anywhere else. That would cost us over $60,000! There are other resorts like Joali, One and Only, Soneva who offer comped or reduced rates. We might have to switch to one of those unfortunately. I'm a bit gutted because this was a dream honeymoon and our wedding and honeymoon has been postponed into its 3rd year now.

Thank you very much for your advice.
Have you actually discussed the scenario with an insurance agent? The reason I ask is that trip delay coverage might not actually be the right coverage for this scenario - an insurance company I work with regularly for work covers quarantine costs under the medical portion of their policy, rather than the trip delay portion. However, for that company, you have to have a doctor's diagnosis rather than just a positive test to trigger it. I also don't recall what the daily cap on quarantine costs is, if any. Talking with a reputable agency that sells multiple types of policies will likely be the fastest way to find a solution.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
Have you actually discussed the scenario with an insurance agent? The reason I ask is that trip delay coverage might not actually be the right coverage for this scenario - an insurance company I work with regularly for work covers quarantine costs under the medical portion of their policy, rather than the trip delay portion. However, for that company, you have to have a doctor's diagnosis rather than just a positive test to trigger it. I also don't recall what the daily cap on quarantine costs is, if any. Talking with a reputable agency that sells multiple types of policies will likely be the fastest way to find a solution.
Thank you for your response.

Do you have a recommendation for an online travel insurance agency I can contact? On my brief search it is mostly travel insurance comparison sites that pop up.
hsawaknow likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
We are spending 4 nights in Istanbul in the middle of a Barcelona - Istanbul - Athens - Santorini - home to the US trip in June this year. I am reading that travel insurance is mandatory to enter Turkey and it sounds like that was in place even before covid.

Our trip has very little cash outlay - flights are all booked through ANA's roundtrip + stopover option. The only cash flights are the middle of the trip IST-ATH and ATH-JTR-ATH. Only our Istanbul and Santorini hotels are in cash.

I was originally looking for travel insurance that will cover hotel quarantine if one of us tests positive along the way but now with the Turkish insurance requirement I am not sure what kind of policy to buy. We are 3 adults - 2 women aged 31/30 and 1 woman aged 64.

Thank you for any suggestions/recommendations.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:23 pm
exp
Suspended

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
We are spending 4 nights in Istanbul in the middle of a Barcelona - Istanbul - Athens - Santorini - home to the US trip in June this year. I am reading that travel insurance is mandatory to enter Turkey and it sounds like that was in place even before covid.

Our trip has very little cash outlay - flights are all booked through ANA's roundtrip + stopover option. The only cash flights are the middle of the trip IST-ATH and ATH-JTR-ATH. Only our Istanbul and Santorini hotels are in cash.

I was originally looking for travel insurance that will cover hotel quarantine if one of us tests positive along the way but now with the Turkish insurance requirement I am not sure what kind of policy to buy. We are 3 adults - 2 women aged 31/30 and 1 woman aged 64.

Thank you for any suggestions/recommendations.

Here is one page I found through a quick search.

https://www.squaremouth.com/destinations/turkey

But I would search for Turkey tourism offices and see if they can point you to some sources.

For instance, on other FT forums, there are threads about entry requirements into Thailand, where they also require insurance. But rather than getting insurance from a US or European carrier, they list insurance offered by companies in Turkey. Some of them are divisions of international insurance carriers but they apparently offer policies tailored for visitors to Thailand during the pandemic so that for instance, if you test positive after arrival (they require tests on all visitors now), you would be quarantined for like 10 days or so and these Thai insurance policies cover the costs of the quarantine.

Or they're suppose to.

A policy you get through Squaremouth or Insuremytrip.com or other web insurance brokers may or may not cover those scenarios. They may sound like they do but when you actually have to file a claim, they may find wags to wriggle out of paying.

So besides the tourism bureau, maybe there are Turkish embassies in the US which might be able to answer those questions, whether they know of travel insurance products specifically tailored for Turkey travel requirements.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:34 pm

I bought trip insurance through Allianz and receive an "embassy letter".

4. What’s an Embassy Letter?

Countries that require travel insurance for entry often ask for something called an "Embassy Letter." This is a summary/proof of travel insurance benefits to prove that your plan meets the country's requirements.

If you need an Embassy Letter, click here to request one (please allow up to 48 hours for a response).

To make sure the information provided in the Embassy Letter satisfies the requirements of your destination, we recommend that you or your travel advisor contact the nearest embassy or consulate of that country to confirm.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exp
Here is one page I found through a quick search.

https://www.squaremouth.com/destinations/turkey

But I would search for Turkey tourism offices and see if they can point you to some sources.

For instance, on other FT forums, there are threads about entry requirements into Thailand, where they also require insurance. But rather than getting insurance from a US or European carrier, they list insurance offered by companies in Turkey. Some of them are divisions of international insurance carriers but they apparently offer policies tailored for visitors to Thailand during the pandemic so that for instance, if you test positive after arrival (they require tests on all visitors now), you would be quarantined for like 10 days or so and these Thai insurance policies cover the costs of the quarantine.

Or they're suppose to.

A policy you get through Squaremouth or Insuremytrip.com or other web insurance brokers may or may not cover those scenarios. They may sound like they do but when you actually have to file a claim, they may find wags to wriggle out of paying.

So besides the tourism bureau, maybe there are Turkish embassies in the US which might be able to answer those questions, whether they know of travel insurance products specifically tailored for Turkey travel requirements.
Originally Posted by theplayer
I bought trip insurance through Allianz and receive an "embassy letter".

4. What’s an Embassy Letter?

Countries that require travel insurance for entry often ask for something called an "Embassy Letter." This is a summary/proof of travel insurance benefits to prove that your plan meets the country's requirements.

If you need an Embassy Letter, click here to request one (please allow up to 48 hours for a response).

To make sure the information provided in the Embassy Letter satisfies the requirements of your destination, we recommend that you or your travel advisor contact the nearest embassy or consulate of that country to confirm.
Thank you both - I'll add this to my list of things to research.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chanieish
Hi all,

I am shopping for the best travel insurance possible and am looking for one with a very high trip delay coverage (~$50,000). The highest I could find was $7,000

The reason is my fiance and I have saved for a luxury Maldives vacation that costs $4,500 per night. However after discussing with the resort, they said that currently if you test positive a 14 day quarantine is required and they charge daily room rate. You are not allowed to go anywhere else. That would cost us over $60,000! There are other resorts like Joali, One and Only, Soneva who offer comped or reduced rates. We might have to switch to one of those unfortunately. I'm a bit gutted because this was a dream honeymoon and our wedding and honeymoon has been postponed into its 3rd year now.

Thank you very much for your advice.
I'm looking for something similar as my flights are on points and miles. I just want to cover the cost of having to quarantine if necessary. I've read in hotel specific forums on here that the hotels are willing to negotiate the rate (although it's still high by most standards). Additionally, there is a govt approved quarantine location Fun Island (I kid you not) which I thought I read was $150 a night. Best of luck.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by hsawaknow
I'm looking for something similar as my flights are on points and miles. I just want to cover the cost of having to quarantine if necessary. I've read in hotel specific forums on here that the hotels are willing to negotiate the rate (although it's still high by most standards). Additionally, there is a govt approved quarantine location Fun Island (I kid you not) which I thought I read was $150 a night. Best of luck.
This article is a year old but WOW... hope they have this fixed.

https://kathrinschuler.medium.com/so...n-ccb9ebe0a5de
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wild, right? Our plan is to stay at a resort and it appears we would be able to stay there and not go to Fun Island in the event of a positive test but it really does appear to be up to the Maldivian government. The folks in the blog appear to have been on a dive boat for their trip. Caveat emptor.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:31 pm
exp
Suspended

What to look for in travel insurance. First check your premium cards.

But if you still think you need insurance, focus on these provisions.

Concerned about testing positive before traveling? Trip cancellation insurance pays back nonrefundable costs if you have to call off a trip because of a serious illness or injury, natural disaster, death in the family, or other major event. Most policies now also cover you if you contract .Covid-19—even if you’re asymptomatic. “They look at it like any other illness or injury,” Moncrief says.

Concerned about getting stuck abroad? Look for a travel delay and trip interruption policy that includes coverage for mandatory quarantine. Travel delay covers the cost of meals and accommodations if you have to be isolated; trip interruption reimburses the nonrefundable costs for any travel you must forgo. Check that your policy provides a high enough payout to minimize your out-of-pocket cost. Some cap quarantine expenses at, say, $7,000 rather than $2,000—.important when extending a stay at that $800-a-night hotel.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-for-in-policy
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:47 pm
exp
Suspended

Washington Post has a story on what some travelers did when they tested positive just before returning from international trips.

They offer the same general advice about travel insurance policies which specifically cover hospitalization if necessary and trip delay and interruptions.

One traveler from LA had to delay his return by a week and it cost him $5000, for which he expects to be reimbursed. But after quarantining for 10 days, the Dubai authorities didn't give him documentation of recovery until well after his scheduled morning departure flight so he missed it.

Another American was in Paris, said she couldn't find a test because she had some symptoms, then finally found a test in Annecy and then had to wait 6 hours in line to get a PCR test there. Her return was actually going to be from GVA so she had to worry about getting into Switzerland, though if she's driving or taking a taxi from Annecy to GVA, how would anyone know to check her docs before she checked in at the airport?

In any event, instead of pursuing a negative test result, apparently she went for a document certifying that she had recovered? So she didn't go see a local doctor, she did a telemedicine visit with a US provider, through QuickMD, which cost her $75, which should be reimbursed by insurance.Read in The Washington Post: https://apple.news/AdKM4ScCsTSiSaRIuzSutDQ
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
This article is a year old but WOW... hope they have this fixed.

https://kathrinschuler.medium.com/so...n-ccb9ebe0a5de
Wow WHAT did i just read. This whole nightmare story sounds like Fyre Fest x Brokedown Palace.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:44 pm

Buying multiple travel insurances

Hi,
Is it recommended to purchase multiple travel insurances to increase maximum limit for trip delay to cover quarantine costs? For example, if I want 10k coverage per person, I would get a policy that covers 7k and another one that covers 3k. Would this make it more difficult to obtain reimbursements if I needed to make a claim?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.