Wiki Posts
Search

Italy and India Trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Italy and India Trip

Hi,

I have a ski trip booked next week to South Tirol, followed by honeymoon in India at the end of March. India just issued an advisory restricting entry into India for anyone who has been in Italy since Feb 1st. The ski trip is pre-paid for - about 1500 euros of which very little bit if anything is refundable or rebatable. I reside in the UK and have travel insurance, but that does not cover cancellations unless FCO advises against all but necessary travel, which is not the case.

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

Interestingly enough, as EU member I would not get stamped when entering Italy (via Venice) so not sure how Indian authorities would know that I have been to Italy.

I am looking for options - if any - and am generally gutted about the ski trip I have been planning for ages, but I guess honeymoon is more important.

Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Indian authorities generally wouldn’t have a clue that an EU citizen has been to Italy recently unless they present or otherwise publicly indicate something that reveals that they have been to Italy within the period of concern or have a flown into India on a ticketed itinerary showing travel from Italy.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

My wife is Canadian so she would get a stamp.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Italy seems to be pretty badly hit by COVID-19 at the moment. Even if you can "cheat" and get away with it, do you really want to risk becoming ill on a honeymoon in a third world country? You could be forced to stay in a local hospital (not of your choosing and perhaps not up to UK standards) for a long time.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:49 pm

If found out, I expect he would be forced to stay in a local jail after he gets out of quarantine.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ft101
If found out, I expect he would be forced to stay in a local jail after he gets out of quarantine.
That would make it a very memorable honeymoon.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by pred02
Hi,

I have a ski trip booked next week to South Tirol, followed by honeymoon in India at the end of March. India just issued an advisory restricting entry into India for anyone who has been in Italy since Feb 1st. The ski trip is pre-paid for - about 1500 euros of which very little bit if anything is refundable or rebatable. I reside in the UK and have travel insurance, but that does not cover cancellations unless FCO advises against all but necessary travel, which is not the case.

https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

Interestingly enough, as EU member I would not get stamped when entering Italy (via Venice) so not sure how Indian authorities would know that I have been to Italy.

I am looking for options - if any - and am generally gutted about the ski trip I have been planning for ages, but I guess honeymoon is more important.

Thanks
Just yesterday there was a news that group of Italian tourists end up in quarantine in India. Sure you want to do this?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
We're all gutted at not being able to go on planned trips. I wouldn't lie or do anything that could affect others.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I am off to India tomorrow... talking to a few clients there.. the risk in India is very low at this point.
But, I think , if you were to take that ski trip.. it might cause you an issue when entering India.
You may have to pick the honeymoon over the ski trip...
I know it sucks.. but its better to be alive then sick
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
[Quote from deleted post redacted]

Also be aware.. its wedding season in India.. marriages now, has opposed to before.. are more and more taking place at luxury hotels, where the wedding party books out the whole hotel.
I have seen my confirmed booking being canceled (was offered another hotel)

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 5, 2020 at 5:21 pm
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:22 pm

Risk in India is very low. The way they handled the 3 cases in Kerala state is amazing. Some students from Kerala had returned from Wuhan and every single person was treated and cured.. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/74493702.cms
CharlotteC likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Less-densely populated places in India are probably a safer bet than say DEL, BOM or CCU. Just beware that it's not beyond the realm of possibility that there are more airline route cuts that take place and that the "rebooking" options being granted by airlines for this Wuhan coronavirus situation may leave you locked in to the destination or without an ability to get a refund from some airlines.

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Risk in India is very low. The way they handled the 3 cases in Kerala state is amazing. Some students from Kerala had returned from Wuhan and every single person was treated and cured.. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/74493702.cms
Kerala -- a disproportionately major provider of Indian expat nurses and nuns to institutions around the world -- has a better and more organized health care culture than most of India and is rather different in various ways than what can be expected in the Hindi-speaking Heartland. I wouldn't hold three cases in Kerala as an example of what to expect in the Hindi Heartland and the rest of North India.

And that India is so big on "controlling" "information" nowadays -- using law enforcement resources to crackdown on private communications too -- as indicated in that article is a warning sign that relevant governmental authorities are in a position to mask the extent of the problems and their handling issues and that independent and skeptical examination of the situation in India could be lacking or even be subject to punishment, legal or otherwise.
Transpacificflyer likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 6, 2020 at 5:12 am
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:22 am

Where are you going for honeymoon in India? Because Corona Virus patients are increasing day by day in India. Kerala, Delhi, Chandigarh have corona virus patients. So you have to be very cautious while travelling to India and have to have follow the safety measures issued by WHO.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indian authorities generally wouldn’t have a clue that an EU citizen has been to Italy recently unless they present or otherwise publicly indicate something that reveals that they have been to Italy within the period of concern or have a flown into India on a ticketed itinerary showing travel from Italy.
They wouldn't know, but as part of your Visa application for India you will likely need to sign a declaration attesting to those countries you have recently visited (you do if you are applying from the UK), and I think it goes back ten years. I ran out of space to list all countries visited so I missed off EU ones as they were untraceable and there were no health or other implications in omitting them. Incorrect completion is an offence, so probably not worth the risk.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
No one was cured. The 3 infected patients were held for approximately a month. The infection ran its course, they survived and their respective immune systems cleared the virus. They were then released.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.