Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Other Useful Threads
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011652-entry-restrictions-per-country.html
Metrics Math Explained
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:52 pm

I have a flight to Colombia on Monday from Miami. I'm just hoping airlines are still flying at that point in time with how things are accelerating.

Return is booked on May 15th. Hope that flight still exists in some form at that point too.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
The strategy the world is doing now is to flatten the peak - stretch out the infections so the medical systems will be less overwhelmed. I think we all have the responsibility to help with that.

Some cultures/people think more in term of the group while others are more individualistic When this is all done, it will be interesting to see how a nation's culture affected the behavior and outcome.
I think the individualism of the USA and to some extent Western Europe is great for a lot of things, including encouraging innovation and taking economic risks that lead to great discoveries. I think it is terrible for stopping the spread of a virus as is quite obvious by many of the “damn the torpedos” posters here.

The more collective based cultures in the Far East, like China and Korea, have had a better time of getting cooperation from society to stop the virus spreading.

At least that’s how it looks like it will play out at the moment.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by davistev
I do not believe the numbers released by the mainland Chinese government lately. It seems that only 20-30 new cases each day in a country of 1.4Billion people. China must really think the world is stupid to believe that crap. They are not telling the truth or they have just stopped testing - you decide! To go from 1300 new cases a day to 20 would imply that China has found a cure.
I find those low number of cases incredulous too but let's not forget, the situation in China is clearly not worsening and has improved from a total crisis before. Just look at the fact that they are able to close all the temporary hospitals in Wuhan. Even if those numbers are off by a factor of 10 or 50, the number of new cases is still low compared to other countries like Italy or Korea.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
I understand what you're saying but I just can't live my life like that. Life is too short and you need to enjoy while you can.
As many others have pointed out, the problem is not about protecting you or how you want to lead your life. It is about protecting other people that you come into contact with and can potentially infect. When your freedom encroach on other's right to live or not to get sick, then it need to be curtailed. No different than drunk driving or requiring a driver's license before you can operate a vehicle. Travel ban is designed exactly for these irresponsible and ignorant behaviors.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
As many others have pointed out, the problem is not about protecting you or how you want to lead your life. It is about protecting other people that you come into contact with and can potentially infect. When your freedom encroach on other's right to live or not to get sick, then it need to be curtailed. No different than drunk driving or requiring a driver's license before you can operate a vehicle. Travel ban is designed exactly for these irresponsible and ignorant behaviors.
They can't ban travel within the USA. It simply isn't feasible unless martial law is imposed.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Poker2012chu
...Now, I know that the US and Italy are different countries, but if things get out of control, we will likely see more restrictions state-side as well.
I don't see that happening in the USA for 2 reasons. 1) Political and 2) Size. The USA is simply too big to implement those sorts of restrictions.
Let's hope we don't get to that point in the US. If things get ugly in the US, for example, food shortages, I can see the government implement drastic measures to maintain order. Would it have a choice?

It won't be country-wide because the country is so big. However, if that is the only way to maintain order and keep people safe, I don't see why the government won't/shouldn't do it.

We live in interesting times.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:34 am

Let's hope we don't get to that point in the US. If things get ugly in the US, for example, food shortages, I can see the government implement drastic measures to maintain order. Would it have a choice?

It won't be country-wide because the country is so big. However, if that is the only way to maintain order and keep people safe, I don't see why the government won't/shouldn't do it.

We live in interesting times.
What do you mean by "drastic measures?" Are you suggesting martial law? You know Trump would be out of a job quite fast if he did that so we know he won't do it.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you mean by "drastic measures?" Are you suggesting martial law? You know Trump would be out of a job quite fast if he did that so we know he won't do it.
I don't know - keep an open mind. If things get really bad and the government needs to get things under control, then they will have to do whatever it takes. Hopefully we don't get to that point but we are in uncharted territory already.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:41 am

I don't know - keep an open mind. If things get really bad and the government needs to get things under control, then they will have to do whatever it takes. Hopefully we don't get to that point but we are in uncharted territory already.
Do you live in the U.S.? There is an election in November. I'm telling you, no matter how bad things get, Trump will NOT impose martial law. It's not going to happen.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you live in the U.S.? There is an election in November. I'm telling you, no matter how bad things get, Trump will NOT impose martial law. It's not going to happen.
You are the one who keeps saying martial law. I don't even know what that means in practice in the US.

Would he be reelected if things get out of control? I don't even know if he wants to continue to be the president if this thing does not get better soon.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:51 am

You are the one who keeps saying martial law. I don't even know what that means in practice in the US.

Would he be reelected if things get out of control? I don't even know if he wants to continue to be the president if this thing does not get better soon.
Well you said drastic measures and I don't know what that means other than martial law. I asked you to clarify and you said you don't know. I've never seen martial law so who knows what that would mean in practice but I assume the national guard would be deployed to prevent people from moving from Point A to Point B. That's not going to go over well here. Remember, we are a country of guns. So, people may just decide to overthrow the government if something like this were to play out.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well you said drastic measures and I don't know what that means other than martial law. I asked you to clarify and you said you don't know. I've never seen martial law so who knows what that would mean in practice but I assume the national guard would be deployed to prevent people from moving from Point A to Point B. That's not going to go over well here. Remember, we are a country of guns. So, people may just decide to overthrow the government if something like this were to play out.
I didn't want to bring guns into the conversation as that is a sensitive subject in the US. Before 9/11, almost nobody would have thought people would fly planes into buildings. So, who knows what will happen next.

All we can do is to prepare somewhat (have food/medicine/supplies at home in case things get worse but don't go overboard), stay healthy and help reduce the chance of transmission by limiting our travels and interactions.

What frustrated a lot of people the last few weeks is that US (the government and the people) did not take this seriously. Even now, we have people who say "I am young and healthy, life is short and I will do what I want". Whatever you follow - science, math, Trump, God (whatever religion), sports, movie stars, money - all signs are telling us to do what we can to slow this down.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Just once, I wish my fellow country people would think about the collective good instead of themselves. Right now is not the time to travel.

And if your individual liberties trump the collective good, even if you probably won’t die, getting sick with the thing cannot be fun.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
At the end of this month we come to the end of a 5 month trip and will be returning to the UK. We are presently in NZ and go from here to Singapore, Zurich, Stockholm and then London all ticketed on SQ and because SQ hasn't restricted travel to any of those destinations there's not much we can do but go through with it. I did ask if we could change routes and go directly to Stockholm but the change fees were very expensive so decided to leave it all unchanged.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:12 am

in some places we can hear also good news, people return to work and things go back to normal

Last edited by Jeremiasz777; Mar 12, 2020 at 3:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.