Wiki Posts
Search

Copa to LAX from MDE?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA.AV
Copa to LAX from MDE?

I am getting much less happy with Avianca so for my next trip I'm looking at Business on Copa. I know the plane is smaller but maybe some Copa regular might be so kind as to give me some information on the service via Panama. I would be early out of MDE arriving LAX early afternoon and returning on the overnight flight. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
What information? The schedule is at Copaair.com, connecting in PTY is less horrible than the ganged security process at SAL for US/Canada bound flights, with a separate security check at each gate vs. how it works at SAL. (Assuming it's a SAL and not BOG connection s you did not say the actual route). They are very on time, 2nd best in the world but TBH they pad the flight times, which is fine, because at least you know the times which they often beat. Better than being late and you rely on the quoted schedule.

I imagine in Y both are piteous and in J the service is quite similar, that is on 737 type aircraft with no flat seats. I have flown on Copa 120+ times, in fact I am leaving CA tomorrow through PTY. Other than the decor and one is 737 and one is A320 you'd hardly know which airline you were on, other than it was not AA, UA, DL, etc.

Copa serves a drink, nuts and a hot sandwich on PTY flights of as little as one hour in J, which you won't see on US airlines. It's not great but it's ambitious with maybe 40 minutes at altitude, or less.

PTY lounge is a mess quite often with non Copa flights. May improve with Terminal 2, soon, which is soon in Panama time which means in a while, e.g. not that soon. Too many Priority Pass users though they allegedly limit those when it's really bad.

I choose Copa mainly to avoid the fracas of MIA connections but I have no problem on AA flying south through MIA, with pre-clearance, just refuse to fly north. Avianca, formerly TACA when I flew has terrible schedules, arriving CA late night and departing at crazy early hours.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: UA
The only significant difference is a widebody on AV going BOG-LAX., with a near lie-flat seat, versus a recliner* on a 737 on CM. Food and beverage and service on the plane are equally unimpressive on both. Connecting in PTY is snap. CM is significantly more reliable.

On the return, I'd take AV for an overnight flight and CM if that 10:20 a.m. flight were more convenient.

*I think you'll get the long-haul AVOD "B-version" of the 737, which is a step up from a typical "domestic first" type seat.
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, these are very helpful comments. I may well go Copa to get the early pm arrival into LAX and return on AV for the convenient early arrival in BOG and thence to MDE. I was laughing telling someone the other day about my first long haul flight AKL to LAX via HNL as a graduate student going to the US in 1970. I had no knowledge of First Class but the food in Air New Zealand Economy would put most of today's Business Class meals to shame. So of course all I am really looking for is an on-time flight with a reasonably comfortable seat and I know plenty of good eating places prior to and after the flights. I am lifetime Star Alliance Gold and will ask here, has something changed with Star Alliance baggage rules?? Last flight in Business, BOG-LAX I had a lengthy argument with the check-in person and had to ask finally for a Supervisor, to get my third, supposedly allowed, 50 lb suitcase checked in without a charge. Living most of the year in Colombia, I was wondering if the rules had changed without my being aware of it?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:03 pm

additional star baggage allowance

you mention your third star alliance allowed baggage. please note you do not have an allowance for a third baggage, what star gold allows you is one additional piece of baggage, on top of your normal allowance (which is currently one piece, for most cheap fares)
therefore, 1 bag allowed by ticket plus 1 bag allowed by star gold = 2 free bags, not three
where the confusion might come is that until 2018 both av and cm allowed 2 free bags plus 1 star gold - 3. sadly, no longer so
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by isveres
you mention your third star alliance allowed baggage. please note you do not have an allowance for a third baggage, what star gold allows you is one additional piece of baggage, on top of your normal allowance (which is currently one piece, for most cheap fares)
therefore, 1 bag allowed by ticket plus 1 bag allowed by star gold = 2 free bags, not three
where the confusion might come is that until 2018 both av and cm allowed 2 free bags plus 1 star gold - 3. sadly, no longer so
AV only allows J passengers 1 checked bag?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
AV only allows J passengers 1 checked bag?
No.

It's all quite clear in their website under the topic. https://www.avianca.com/ca/en/before...ggage/checked/
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
No.

It's all quite clear in their website under the topic. https://www.avianca.com/ca/en/before...ggage/checked/
Exactly
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate these helpful comments. Is it just AV that is being stingy? If I fly Copa or United as Star Alliance Gold, would I get the two bags at 70 lbs and 1 bag at 50 lbs allowance in Business?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cymbo
I appreciate these helpful comments. Is it just AV that is being stingy? If I fly Copa or United as Star Alliance Gold, would I get the two bags at 70 lbs and 1 bag at 50 lbs allowance in Business?
3x 32KG for you on Copa, regardless of class of travel. FYI, there are embargo periods (for certain destinations), so you need to inform yourself of those
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Well that is very useful and helpful news. I really appreciate being able to tap into other Forum member's knowledge and experiences.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Mileage plus vs Connect miles A fare

Hello, I just booked LAX - PTY - MDE. I’m star gold on United ( platinum MM) and I drop down to regular member only status on COPA. Which frequent flyer account should I use I’m booking on COPA’s website (Actually reservation is on hold for 24 hours) I’m assuming with my mileage plus I will get lounge access an enhanced luggage. With COPA I guess I get zero unless I show my mileage plus card at the lounges

any complementary upgrades, or any other possibility on an “A” fare

what about advanced seat assignment?

thanks in advance
Old Jul 11, 2020, 9:03 am

To avoid confusion, use your UA FF details. However if you want to start earning miles & points with Copa, then use that

You will get lounge access at each airport due to *G. Extra bag too for the same reason

Next to 0 chance for any comp upgrades, no matter what the fare is

You can choose most economy seats for free ("premium" seats in the first 3 rows of economy and exit row seats are not free). If its the MAX9, then you will have slightly more restrictions for seat selection, but will still be able to choose some for free
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
To avoid confusion, use your UA FF details. However if you want to start earning miles & points with Copa, then use that

You will get lounge access at each airport due to *G. Extra bag too for the same reason

Next to 0 chance for any comp upgrades, no matter what the fare is

You can choose most economy seats for free ("premium" seats in the first 3 rows of economy and exit row seats are not free). If its the MAX9, then you will have slightly more restrictions for seat selection, but will still be able to choose some for free
Thanks, yeah I think the school around I’ll probably credit to UA. I was platinum and COPA for quite a while and then in the last two years I went to zero status. It was fun while it lasted, because the upgrades were plentiful… As an aside, if I credit to COPA can I show my mileage plus card to gain access to the lounge in the future. For some reason I believe so, I also have Priority Pass
Old Jul 11, 2020, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
As an aside, if I credit to COPA can I show my mileage plus card to gain access to the lounge in the future.
Yes you can, and it is fully permitted as per the rules. However, I did write before "to avoid confusion". Hopefully you will gain access to all lounges without issue (and also get an extra bag as you are entitled to, if needed), but you might have to deal with a couple of agents before someone who fully knows the rules will grant everything
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.