Copa ConnectMiles - complete scam

Old Jun 24, 19, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ConnectMiles
Angry Copa ConnectMiles - complete scam

We do have ConnectMiles for quite some time. It's rather useless at Tocumen airport since their lounge is usually crowded, sometimes even more than outside of the lounge. But this one beat all idiocity related to the card: I received an email with a great offer of $99 for a second ticket if the ticket price is more than $295. A month later we were about to book the flight for two of us to Guatemala City. So I called ConnectMiles on a phone from the email. The price to buy a both tickets online was $653. And the price with that super-discount offer was ...$664. Do you get it? It was MORE with ConenctMiles discount than without. When I asked the guy on a phone where is a logic of that he ...hanged up on me.
Old Jun 24, 19, 12:08 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PanamaCustomer View Post
We do have ConnectMiles for quite some time. It's rather useless at Tocumen airport since their lounge is usually crowded, sometimes even more than outside of the lounge. But this one beat all idiocity related to the card: I received an email with a great offer of $99 for a second ticket if the ticket price is more than $295. A month later we were about to book the flight for two of us to Guatemala City. So I called ConnectMiles on a phone from the email. The price to buy a both tickets online was $653. And the price with that super-discount offer was ...$664. Do you get it? It was MORE with ConenctMiles discount than without. When I asked the guy on a phone where is a logic of that he ...hanged up on me.
Was the base fare for your 2x flights for $653 <$99 each?

Presuming you would still have to pay taxes etc on the $99 fare
Old Jun 24, 19, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it was $99 + taxes, I know that. But still, what they did is they took their super-high special flight rate which does not exist online and applied it to the "new" ticket price for their calculation. It basically mean you can find lower price on 3 different websites online and when ConnectMiles give you discount, then the price is HIGHER than you just buy it from any other website online. Super ridiculous.
Old Jun 24, 19, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Buy the tickets vs. do this promotion, problem solved and you have $9 buckeroos for a lunch in PTY outside the lounge.
PanamaCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 19, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the problem was that it was super-misleading email and actually lying suggesting I can pay less, while I was asked to pay more. And in consequence I had to spend 10 minutes for nothing. But the response of their support person on a question "where is the logic offering discount, which cost more than regular purchase" was unique: he just hung-up...
Old Jun 24, 19, 2:09 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PanamaCustomer View Post
Yes, it was $99 + taxes, I know that. But still, what they did is they took their super-high special flight rate which does not exist online and applied it to the "new" ticket price for their calculation. It basically mean you can find lower price on 3 different websites online and when ConnectMiles give you discount, then the price is HIGHER than you just buy it from any other website online. Super ridiculous.
How much is the base fare on the normal $653 flights?
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

$653 was a price on line for 2 tickets with all taxes included. ConnectMiles price for the same flight with their "discount" was $664. I thought airlines (or the cards they offer) do not do that type of scam.
I guess they just count that no one will check the price first before calling them, so they just tell the customer on the phone that it is the best price as it is reduced to $99 + tax for second ticket and the customer is happy hearing it and never realizes he was just scammed.
Old Jun 24, 19, 4:01 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Were the tickets identical? Was the + Companion ticket in a higher fare class/more flexible?
Old Jun 24, 19, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CM nada
I can't quote the details, but I definitely remember a similar situation. I believe that with my CM credit card I get one "free" companion ticket a year. But the original fare to which one can add the companion ticket has to be some crazy elevated fare class, and the companion ticket had to be some special class that wasn't available for any of the flights I wanted. The end result was the total with the "free" companion was virtually the same as just buying two tickets off the website, and at worse times. Combine that with the aggravation of having to call in and hope for an agent with a clue.... not worth it. And I admit, I was 'suckered' by the marketing ploy: I was going to take a totally unplanned trip just because of the allure of getting something for free. Instead, I just discarded the whole idea.
PanamaCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Good point. I do receive every single day 15-20 spam emails because of my work online. I thought I knew it all. So that is why I was surprised that my credit card will send to me the one too. But it seems it must work as some of their customers do not bother to check it and are happy to get $99 deal... not knowing they were just scammed.
Old Jun 26, 19, 11:01 am

Well, scammed is not really the word. More like they did no research into what the cost would be for two tickets not using this coupon and maybe paid $9 more. At the end of the day it's $9

Do you shop at Wal-Mart etc., and not look at the price then announce a scam when it fails to meet your expected price?

I think quite a few 2 for 1 or companion certificates at other airlines limit the use to a high-ish fare for person A to use the coupon for person B. Simple analysis will find out if it's worth it or it isn't.
Old Jun 26, 19, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

I understand your logic. But what about that: it was a massive email campaign (all card users received it) claiming that the user can save, while in fact he would have to pay more. How else to call it?
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:32 am

The thing is you have no idea if every fare on every route, every day in the identical class is more with the $99 or if yours was an outlier and there are savings to be had on many other routes. You take one circumstance and make a generalization and call Copa scammers.

And you think all airlines with these 2 for 1 or companion fares/vouchers don't lay on the rules to get top dollar for the paid fare so they are not losing money on these deals.

To be fair for your complaint I think some airlines are a little easier to find a net discount like WestJet but then you have to fly a lot to get to their top tier, or have a $400 a year credit card to get the voucher. So they make money overall because 1 or 2% of people actually redeem the coupons. And they have raked in other fees from a larger group.

End of the day, see if it's a better deal or not and proceed accordingly, including checking identical fares.
Old Jun 28, 19, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

I do not make any generalization based on one circumstance. There was ONLY ONE offer sent to me by Copa ConnectMiles. And when I tried to use it, it turned to be just a scam. So I had 100% of scam rate from ConnectMiles, when out of 1 offer they sent (did not receive any others), it turned to be just failed way to squeeze money from the customer.
Also I am not here comparing it to any other airlines, let's do not mix it up.
Old Jun 28, 19, 1:24 pm

You still have not said what the base fare of the original pair of $653 tickets were. If it was less than $99 each, then I would fully expect the price to be higher when using this offer, as least one of them is now $99

Search this Thread