Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$150 baggage fee for skis???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, United, American Airlines
The weighed our personal items, carry on bags, everything.

The agent then wrote down all the weights on a piece of paper, and the total was 6kg over the combined weight allowance. That's when she charged me $150.

But, had to go to a back room to complete the charge. The credit card machine wouldn't turn on, until she had a manager come in to turn it on.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Since carry on bags are not part of the weighed baggage allowance on any airline, I think the prediction they had all your chats and attempts at asking for something they don't offer came true and they made sure you paid something, e.g. their regular fee net of all of this faffing about. Or you were at check-in and asked for all the concessions again to the point they felt they had to charge you something.
You have a checked baggage allowance of X pieces and/or weight of pieces and then you are allowed carry-on, with a limit on them (if ever weighed by an airline) above which they won't let them on at all - which is 10 kg, for one piece (2 pieces for J other than to/from North America).
I have flown on Copa maybe 60 times in the last 5 years and they have not weighed a carry on bag. Ever.
A passenger could show up at check in with no carry-on to weigh and then go through security to the gate alter with some bags where there is no scale.
Now for you alone they added up checked and carry-on and then came up with a fee based on how much it all weighed. I call shenanigans.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, United, American Airlines
In the end, we still paid $150 less then we technically should have, so, I consider it a win on our part. The first checked back we put on the scale was the exact limit, the 2nd checked bag was 2kg over, the gate agent looked at our carry on's and asked to weight them (one was overweight, one was under).

I didn't look into the weight limit of the carry on bags before flying, but it ended up being where they got us with charges.

Maybe it's just the Copa people who work at LIR...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I doubt Copa at LIR is adding charges that Copa does not charge for anyone. I guess almost anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.