Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Chicago - Lima (though Panama) - how does Copa Business class stack up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I am planning a trip from ORD to Lima. We are United global services. So, woudl take United. But connection is really bad.
How is Copa? How doe business class seats compare on those routes? Anything I should know?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The service is better than most US airlines on their LatAM routes (example AA) and the seats are no different than say AA 737 J seats that are not lie flat. Connection in PTY is just plane to plane, no formalities at all other than second security at gates for USA and Canada bound flights, which is lackadaisical for Canada anyway - it would be better security if they actually looked at the x-ray machine screen as they scan your bag. There's always food even on very short flights like the ones I take a lot, SJO MGA or MGA PTY which are barely an hour in the air - hot sandwich, drinks and nuts. For the most part very good on time record, partly due to schedule padding like Avianca and partly due to the scoop and go when full approach. I have left 40 minutes early when they counted heads and saw everyone was boarded so no reason to hang around. They managed to transfer bags on a 15 minute connection. And they will land in weather that would make Chuck Yeager pucker up.

The lounge is often jam packed depending on time of day with snack food only but a good bar. Study the map in the in flight magazine because the signage for where it is in the terminal is nil. Crowding depends a lot on arrival time because they have a lot of large capacity departures on partner airlines that crowd the lounge until they depart. Keep the connection under an hour or so and it won't matter.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I'm assuming you are comparing United from ORD - IAH - LIM?

In this case the ORD - IAH route is in United First with a standard recliner seat. IAH - LIM has a fully flat bed.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I just wanted to point out the difference.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:27 pm

Assuming timeframe is October or later, another option is Avianca. AV is launching ORD-BOG, with a J seat on an A319 similar to CM. BOG-LIM would be flat bed on widebody. Also, AV is going to be in joint venture with United, so perhaps reciprocal elite benefits?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by medellinfein
Assuming timeframe is October or later, another option is Avianca. AV is launching ORD-BOG, with a J seat on an A319 similar to CM. BOG-LIM would be flat bed on widebody. Also, AV is going to be in joint venture with United, so perhaps reciprocal elite benefits?
I actually think of the AV product on board superior to that of CM. Crews are nicer too but both still a bit sassy
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Redwood839
I actually think of the AV product on board superior to that of CM. Crews are nicer too but both still a bit sassy
Agreed on service. I would say that 738 with footrest is greatly superior, but the J product on this route for Copa is Imho roughly comparable to A320 Avianca. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.