Search

PTY Lounge Access Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM
PTY Lounge Access Question

Hi everyone:

I am traveling in business on CM 425 from TGU to PTY. My connecting flight from PTY to IAD is in economy.

Will I be able to access the Copa lounge in PTY if my onward connection isn't in a premium cabin? Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I would think maybe yes, like say Cathay in Hong Kong but did you read the lounge admit rules on Copa or Star Alliance to find out?

I think they will say, hmmm.. cheap short J flight and then economy flight for a long way, no way Jose.

How did you book a J ticket for 45 minutes followed by coach for three hours?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I purchased an instant upgrade for the TGU-PTY leg of the trip.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jm6886
I am traveling in business on CM 425 from TGU to PTY. My connecting flight from PTY to IAD is in economy.

Will I be able to access the Copa lounge in PTY if my onward connection isn't in a premium cabin? Thanks!
It's not clear from the Copa Club rules whether you need a departure from PTY in J (those are the *A rules), or whether your same day arrival in CM J will work. Give it a try, see what they say.

If they don't let you in, you're not missing much.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not clear from the Copa Club rules whether you need a departure from PTY in J (those are the *A rules), or whether your same day arrival in CM J will work. Give it a try, see what they say.

If they don't let you in, you're not missing much.
Given the paucity of anything else remotely entertaining it has at least the benefit in a crummy spot and drinking for free, instead of a crummy spot and paying money.

I suspect time of day will bear a lot on their sympathy but a J upgrade arrival from a few hundred miles away with no actual J outbound ex-PTY I bet they say no. If it is packed like mid-afternoon can be then they will find any excuse, like they do with Priority Pass.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
a J upgrade arrival from a few hundred miles away with no actual J outbound ex-PTY I bet they say no.
That has nothing to do with it.

It's unclear from the published rules whether CM grants access to arriving J pax on their own metal. Many airlines do, including UA.

This club sucks, especially during the morning rush hour. I've left it many times to spend time in the terminal, where you can at least find a quiet area away from the large families and people video chatting without headphones.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:12 am

If the published rules do not say arriving J (like, say CX) then they don't do that, one would think.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information everyone, I appreciate your time! I'll be sure to report back- I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask and at the worst they can say I am not eligible to enter. Thanks again!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:08 am

If the published rules do not say arriving J (like, say CX) then they don't do that, one would think.
If you had actually read the rules, you would see they are ambiguous. They just say "international boarding pass for a flight departing on the same day." Whether the flight must be departing from the airport where access is sought is not stated.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you had actually read the rules, you would see they are ambiguous. They just say "international boarding pass for a flight departing on the same day." Whether the flight must be departing from the airport where access is sought is not stated.
I didn't read the rules since I fly J to J and thus get in all the time (as much as that's worth - SJO is no great shakes either but less crowded on the Copa side of things) . If they are ambiguous is that Star Alliance ambiguous or Copa ambiguous?

If it's Copa they will probably use it to their advantage where they need or want to.

But in all honestly in the context I am here at a lounge in airport X you would think the intent is my international J flight would be leaving from airport X not in his case, Honduras aka airport Y.

Well Star Alliance is not ambiguous at all:

International Business Class Customers are entitled to access member airline Business Class Lounges. You will need to show your boarding pass in International Business Class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight departing from the local airport. You are not entitled to bring any guests.

You have to be leaving the local airport vs. where you arrived from.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone- just reporting back after my trip. I was able to get into the lounge in PTY (using my incoming J boarding pass (from TGU)).
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:45 pm

Did you ask if they do that as a rule, if they were being nice, or if they were really quiet?

The OW rules seem to say you have to leave in J, whereas you arrived in J.

Did you enjoy it? Get a seat?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Hi:

I did not ask- I simply handed over my J boarding pass stub from Tegucigalpa. The attendant then asked me for my onward boarding pass (in Y). She gave me the WiFi password and indicated I could enter. Very little verbal interaction.

It was nice to be in there and I did get a seat. Everyone is right that the selection is limited though in drinks/food.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by jm6886
Hi everyone- just reporting back after my trip. I was able to get into the lounge in PTY (using my incoming J boarding pass (from TGU)).
^

Thanks for confirming that it was worth a shot.

Well Star Alliance is not ambiguous at all:

International Business Class Customers are entitled to access member airline Business Class Lounges. You will need to show your boarding pass in International Business Class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight departing from the local airport. You are not entitled to bring any guests.

You have to be leaving the local airport vs. where you arrived from.
No the Star Alliance rule is not ambiguous. But we're not talking about *A rules, we're talking here about CM rules. And based on OP's report back, it appears that CM does in fact apply a more generous rule for passengers traveling on CM metal.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:22 pm

So I wonder what would have happened if he arrived on United or Avianca? Maybe a big no. He got a seat which is more noteworthy than getting in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.