Wiki Posts
Search

Expanding Copa Club PTY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Expanding Copa Club PTY

Flying on Sat 2 July 16 I noticed there is construction in the Copa Club. It appears they are expanding the club into the mezzanine of the terminal. Eyeballing it, I'd say it's adding 75% or more of the current size.

Looks like they just started, I'm sure it won't be ready for months.

Let's hope they're adding more restrooms.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:06 am

That is great. It makes sense that COPA would stay in the old terminal. Other non star alliance airlines to the new terminal. How many non star alliance flights per day does tocumen currently have?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
The old terminal needs serious renovation.. and I have found the new terminal pretty disappointing. Compared to other newly built Star hubs, the amenities are pretty lacking.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
Let's hope they're adding more restrooms.
That should be their number one priority. I have frequently been unable to find (or wait for) an open stall in time to depart for the gate. They expanded the club a few years ago, but still have restrooms designed for the original capacity.

Next should be the lack/absence of food. AV, their primary competitor in the region, may have lower service standards and other issues, but they often have some pretty decent food options in their clubs.

IME, SJO has the only Copa Club with real food available for sale, and that was an independent VIP lounge before Copa took over and expanded it. Here at MDE, while better than nothing, Copa's lounge offers the most limited edible options of any I have seen.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Update on PTY Club Expansion Plans

During my last connection through PTY, I asked about added or expanded restrooms being a part of the completed expansion. If the agent with whom I spoke is correct, they are only expanding club space. Same old restroom under-capacity as they have now, only potentially worse when they reduce some of the United Club member restrictions with the expanded club capacity.

What are they thinking??? Or ARE they thinking? That's an unacceptable oversight or decision.

The restrooms for gates 1 through 10 were actually pretty nice when that terminal opened, but the airport management has failed to maintain it. If I don't luck out when I need a stall, I now wait to use the lav on my outbound flight. That's pretty sad when the onboard lav is less unappealing than the public restrooms in the terminal.

A bit off-topic, but relevant to restrooms, I once entered a restroom in the new terminal to be almost choked by the smell of cigarette smoke coming from one of the stalls. I used a different one, and the smoker left while I was there. I came out to find an angry cop insisting that I had been smoking in their restroom. He actually insisted on smelling my hands. That seemed to make him angrier than he would have been if he busted me. News flash: I don't smoke.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:46 pm

Hopefully they ill allow me as a united club member to bring in my wife and both of my twins boys and not just one when flying copa.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
During my last connection through PTY, I asked about added or expanded restrooms being a part of the completed expansion. If the agent with whom I spoke is correct, they are only expanding club space. Same old restroom under-capacity as they have now, only potentially worse when they reduce some of the United Club member restrictions with the expanded club capacity.

What are they thinking??? Or ARE they thinking? That's an unacceptable oversight or decision.

The restrooms for gates 1 through 10 were actually pretty nice when that terminal opened, but the airport management has failed to maintain it. If I don't luck out when I need a stall, I now wait to use the lav on my outbound flight. That's pretty sad when the onboard lav is less unappealing than the public restrooms in the terminal.

A bit off-topic, but relevant to restrooms, I once entered a restroom in the new terminal to be almost choked by the smell of cigarette smoke coming from one of the stalls. I used a different one, and the smoker left while I was there. I came out to find an angry cop insisting that I had been smoking in their restroom. He actually insisted on smelling my hands. That seemed to make him angrier than he would have been if he busted me. News flash: I don't smoke.
Smelly post, I'd say, from beginning to end.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by copaflyer
Hopefully they ill allow me as a united club member to bring in my wife and both of my twins boys and not just one when flying copa.
I can't say much about PTY (both my wife and I were *A gold), but I can assure you that over in Europe on the few occasions (five or six times) when I wanted to enter a lounge (A3, LX and LH) with my children I was refused the favour.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by KLouis
I can't say much about PTY (both my wife and I were *A gold), but I can assure you that over in Europe on the few occasions (five or six times) when I wanted to enter a lounge (A3, LX and LH) with my children I was refused the favour.
United has a very different relationship with Copa than any other airline. For years Copa was half-owned by Continental, and until quite recently shared lounge names + a frequent flier program.

According to CopaAir.com, " United Club members have access to Copa Clubs when they are traveling in a Star Alliance flight and are entitled to one guest. If the United Club member is traveling on a United flight they are entitled to bring 2 guests or wife and kids below 21."
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:14 pm

Pulled into PTY from MDE this morning, and I had to walk almost the entire terminal distance to arrive just before boarding to my BOS departure, so no update on the club situation this trip.

The new terminal seems to be moving in (very) slow motion. It's also not obvious whether or not the new terminal will have a hallway connecting to the existing one.

Either way, that will eventually put those new gates quite a distance from the existing ones. I can't help but wonder if there might be a second club on that end.

That terminal is needed. I saw today that they are still unloading some flights on pods. Getting off of a plane into that heat and boarding a stuffed bus with standing room only is a bit TOO warm of a welcome. It can also negatively impact connections. I have done it in the rain, too, and that makes it even more unacceptably uncomfortable.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
The new terminal seems to be moving in (very) slow motion. It's also not obvious whether or not the new terminal will have a hallway connecting to the existing one.
I agree. In the past 2 years it has looked exactly the same to me. My friend, whom works with the contractor in some way or another, says it is moving along nicely. Perhaps it is my "gringo-ness" coming through but I disagreed.

I haven't set foot in the Copa Club in years as I have been flying another carrier, but will hope to see the improvements come November, as they were sorely needed.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
I "heard" there was a change order to the contract to include a bridge between the two terminals, and it sure looks like it on google earth as well as in person.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zoegksf
I agree. In the past 2 years it has looked exactly the same to me. My friend, whom works with the contractor in some way or another, says it is moving along nicely. Perhaps it is my "gringo-ness" coming through but I disagreed.
And yet, they can put up a 70 story condo high rise on the waterfront in like six months
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Just curious, there are 2 Priority Pass lounges in PTY, the COPA club and Tocumen Royal Saloon, both in international terminal. Which one is better?

We're connecting from SCL through PTY, to YYZ, on Apr. 7/2017, and can use a PP lounge.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
PP with Copa Club is only permitted at certain times - make sure you are in the allowed times

The Tocumen Royal Saloon is landside - so you will need to go thru immigration, go to the club and then back through security again (security takes about 10 minutes max to be fair)

Last edited by pmarrsouth; Sep 30, 2016 at 11:48 am Reason: Apolgies, it's landside

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.