Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Is COPA pricing high in all markets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP

I know we've discussed this on other threads, but I think this deserves its own.

I was a dedicated CM flier for four years, then in the beginning of 2014 their pricing got so out of hand in the market that I fly (MDE - USA) that there was no way I could continue. Are others seeing the same thing with CM pricing, or are they just crazy with Colombia - USA?

I received an email last week that offered a 50K RDM bonus if I flew ten segments by the end of September. As I have my AA PLT status pretty much locked in for the year, I was ready to give my new PP status on CM a try.

For the itinerary I want to fly the week after next, CM wanted $1,000 +. I booked on AA for $530. I'm beginning to fear that the only value of my CM status will be to give me lounge access on my occasional UA and AV flights through February 2017.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
They've gotten better on some routes out of Mexico City. They were good in 2011-12, but then their fares seemed to get out of hand, so I stopped flying them.

Now, we do seem to have good fares on a regular basis to PTY, BOG, MDE, and at the moment, LIM. I also sometimes see good deals to UIO. However, where they used to be competitive to Central America, they are in fact much more expensive now than the competition (AM, AV, Interjet).
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coolcoil
I was a dedicated CM flier for four years, then in the beginning of 2014 their pricing got so out of hand in the market that I fly (MDE - USA) that there was no way I could continue. Are others seeing the same thing with CM pricing, or are they just crazy with Colombia - USA?
I had a $500 CM e-cert that expired unused earlier this year because every time I looked at flights from US to either PTY or Colombia, the fares were just offensively high.

Do they even watch their competition? I can consistently book UA SFO-BOG in lie-flats for around $1200. CM wants over $2K for an inferior product.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:01 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation More Like Insane!!!

J Class:

COPA: GYE>LAX via PTY, $2,893.49
AV: GYE>LAX via BOG*, $1,473.05

*The BOG>LAX leg is on the A330

COPA wants 2x MORE than AV, seriously???
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
I had a $500 CM e-cert that expired unused earlier this year because every time I looked at flights from US to either PTY or Colombia, the fares were just offensively high.

Do they even watch their competition? I can consistently book UA SFO-BOG in lie-flats for around $1200. CM wants over $2K for an inferior product.
Hmm : ecert? something lke UA appreciation?? do tell, please
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Hmm : ecert? something lke UA appreciation?? do tell, please
Partial compensation for when they stranded me in CTG in October 2013 due to their flight control system at PTY shutting down for two days. I had to buy a $1200 M fare on UA ex-BOG to get back home.

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 7, 2015 at 2:26 pm
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
For full fare J from Canada to Central America Copa is less than 50% of the equivalent AA fare.

I quit comparing to TACA/Avianca when TACA went to the dumbest schedules in the airline business. All arrivals outbound at 10 or 11 p.m. and all departures at 6 a.m. There go two full days each trip.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:28 pm

Post Maybe North To South, But...

Not South to North;

Have a trip from UIO>YVR in late May:
Business Class
Copa, $1970.91
AA, $1567.00
AC, 2513.79
Old Nov 7, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Copa has been having some really good sale fares from LAX and SFO to South America (less than $450 RT).. When sales occur its time to strike
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I guess that depends much on destination. I flew PTY - BOS, me + wife + kid. All for around $900

I wonder if they are realizing they are expensive and are starting to take measures?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Not South to North;

Have a trip from UIO>YVR in late May:
Business Class
Copa, $1970.91
AA, $1567.00
AC, 2513.79
All three fully refundable at those prices? I doubt it.
AA has non refund tickets for routes I fly for Copa's C refundable fares.
For example YYZ SJO in refundable J is over $4,000 on AA and around $2,200 on Copa.
You have to compare apples to apples.
AC especially is gravely overpriced and sometimes is their rubbishy Rouge service. That price quoted for FF J would be remarkable.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:10 pm

Non Refundable...

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
All three fully refundable at those prices? I doubt it.
AA has non refund tickets for routes I fly for Copa's C refundable fares.
For example YYZ SJO in refundable J is over $4,000 on AA and around $2,200 on Copa.
You have to compare apples to apples.
AC especially is gravely overpriced and sometimes is their rubbishy Rouge service. That price quoted for FF J would be remarkable.
Business class fares (they were booking into P, I, D class fares).
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:59 am

I usually fly LAS-PTY or reverse, flexible on which way. Late november they had the las-pty fare 281 rt with wide range of dates (some VERY close to xmas/new year were out). This included a dec 19th departure from las that had been pricing over double that price prior.

The trick with copa seems to be, if you can schedule ahead, wait for a sale and book everything you can at once.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Woofdog123
I usually fly LAS-PTY or reverse, flexible on which way. Late november they had the las-pty fare 281 rt with wide range of dates (some VERY close to xmas/new year were out). This included a dec 19th departure from las that had been pricing over double that price prior.

The trick with copa seems to be, if you can schedule ahead, wait for a sale and book everything you can at once.
CM Sale Fares are quite good. I normally strike when they have a sale going on.. Happy Holidays and Safe Travels..
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
CM Sale Fares are quite good. I normally strike when they have a sale going on.. Happy Holidays and Safe Travels..
I have found some amazing fares on CM this year: ORD-PTY-BAQ-PTY-ORD over Labor day for $255, and more recently ORD-PTY-ORD for $213.50 (a weekend trip in January).

I'm not sure about regular fares but these sale fares seem pretty darn good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.