Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Award Routing Rules

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

CO Award Routing Rules

Hey all... looking to use some miles down to Australia... is routing JFK-ICN-SYD on KE valid for award redemption? How about a stop over in Seoul? Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is for now. After October 24th it will not be a valid redemption option.

I believe the only other option right now is LAX-CAN-SYD/MEL on China Southern or on Qantas at the extortionate rates.

And, yes, stopovers are still permitted.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12

I believe the only other option right now is LAX-CAN-SYD/MEL on China Southern or on Qantas at the extortionate rates.

Sweet! Thanks for the quick response.

After October 24th, is the routing no longer valid even with Asiana instead of Korean Air?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold
There is one thing to be aware of. I sent an email to Continental asking if we would be able to get reward tickets on *A carriers on October 27th when they officially join or if that would come later. The response was that they're still working on it and to keep checking the updates on the website for further information. Hopefully it will happen quickly.

That being said I did a quick search on ANA's reward booking site where you can look for availability on most *A airlines. From JFK to SYD or MEL they were only giving flights on UA or AC. From LAX/SFO they listed flights on UA or NZ. No Asiana for any of those routes. Though that doesn't necessarily mean you can't do it. Like many things you may have to make a phone call to get it.

Last edited by DaveSFO; Sep 26, 2009 at 10:20 pm
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:46 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by fly2nrt

Sweet! Thanks for the quick response.

After October 24th, is the routing no longer valid even with Asiana instead of Korean Air?
It should be, but no guarantees. CO hasn't mentioned anything about changing the one stopover + one open jaw rule and I would have thought they would with the release of the new chart if they were going to do so.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveSFO
There is one thing to be aware of. I sent an email to Continental asking if we would be able to get reward tickets on *A carriers on October 27th when they officially join or if that would come later. The response was that they're still working on it and to keep checking the updates on the website for further information. Hopefully it will happen quickly.

That being said I did a quick search on ANA's reward booking site where you can look for availability on most *A airlines. From JFK to SYD or MEL they were only giving flights on UA or AC. From LAX/SFO they listed flights on UA or NZ. No Asiana for any of those routes. Though that doesn't necessarily mean you can't do it. Like many things you may have to make a phone call to get it.
Yeah - the ANA tool usually only shows the "typical" routings... you have to use multi city to come up with your desired routing.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It should be, but no guarantees. CO hasn't mentioned anything about changing the one stopover + one open jaw rule and I would have thought they would with the release of the new chart if they were going to do so.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see... AA and UA don't allow you to route to Australia via Asia but US does.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Yeah - the ANA tool usually only shows the "typical" routings... you have to use multi city to come up with your desired routing.
agreed, from experience, OZ wont show up TPAC unless the route is put in, but the ``flight search`` option is excellent for multicity. I think ANA also has a limitation or certainly tends to not to display routes with more than one connection
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
Different route, but same subject

Does anyone know if I can book a North America to North or South Asia via Europe with CO miles? (For instance, IAH - FRA - NRT). I remember I was able to book a RT ticket with miles going to India through Europe, but wasnt sure if that routing was acceptable to the rest of Asia.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by drnp
Does anyone know if I can book a North America to North or South Asia via Europe with CO miles? (For instance, IAH - FRA - NRT). I remember I was able to book a RT ticket with miles going to India through Europe, but wasnt sure if that routing was acceptable to the rest of Asia.
Currently all Eastern Asia (basically anything past India) routings require TPAC. If you go TATL you get charged US-Europe + Europe-Asia. I have no idea if that will change with the new rewards.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
Thanks sbm12!
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Gold
I have read before that for *A, people were able to book reward travel from North America to Asia via Europe. Don't know if it required more miles or if there were any special conditions, but it can be done.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold

I love this and it's true. I wonder if this was changed in the recently issued Award Chart by CO.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Hey all... looking to use some miles down to Australia... is routing JFK-ICN-SYD on KE valid for award redemption? How about a stop over in Seoul? Thanks.
I did this earlier this year to SYD, stopover in ICN, and open jaw from BNE.

Plus once before I did a trip to BKK on KE with stop over in Tokyo.

DL ATL-ICN opened up in BC both ways so I switched to DL from original KE flights but still KE to Australia from ICN.

Ticket were:
DCA-ATL-ICN-SYD, BNE-ICN, stop, ICN-ATL-DCA.

Again you need to be ticketed before Oct 24.

The 1st time I did:
DCA-LGA on DL
JFK-ICN-BKK on KE
BKK-ICN-NRT on KE
NRT-DTW-DCA on NW
All for 150K BC per ticket.

Note that KE has two flights from JFK to ICN. The 1am flight is usually the one that is available. That being the case you will have a 10 hour lay over in ICN. There is a hotel inside the terminal with rates for 6 hour blocks.

Note: you can include segments on KE, DL and NW (but not CO BF).

Last edited by cova; Sep 27, 2009 at 7:44 pm
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by blueslip
I love this and it's true. I wonder if this was changed in the recently issued Award Chart by CO.
No, the extortionate QF rewards remain as they are for now. It is quite likely that they will disappear completely once the *A integration is complete since CO's new BFF UA has non-stop service that we will be able to book into. This has been implied by some CO folks but not stated outright.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.