Wiki Posts
Search

Direct TV on CO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
Direct TV on CO

Flew CO 611 yday AM and was pleasantly surprised to find Direct TV installed! Nice change CO and enjoyed it immensely. Now if you can only get rid of those lousy "Bud Earphones" it would be a better experience overall.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:00 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
I am still batting 0 on getting a flight with DTV, but as far as the earphones, I live and die by my sharper image noise canceling headphones. I don't know how I would survive without them. Best money ever spent! And the come with the handy 2 prong adaptors for airplanes.

BTW, what is up with the two prong earphone connections?? Anyone know the technical reason why? It seems to me that they are just sooo unnecessary.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by carvalh2
BTW, what is up with the two prong earphone connections?? Anyone know the technical reason why? It seems to me that they are just sooo unnecessary.
When it was a revenue source they did it fo force you to buy thier headphones and ensure their revenue. Now that the revenue comes from the CC swipe on the LiveTV system they are no longer using the dual-prong headphones. All the new systems are just a normal plug.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:25 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by carvalh2
I am still batting 0 on getting a flight with DTV, but as far as the earphones, I live and die by my sharper image noise canceling headphones. I don't know how I would survive without them. Best money ever spent! And the come with the handy 2 prong adaptors for airplanes.

+1 all around... I've flown a lot of 737's lately (a mix of all of 'em) and have yet to find one with DTV. I have a pair of Sony NC headphones and love them. My only issue is with the 2 prong adapters, too. I use the 2-prong adapters that they give you with the new buds, but keep breaking them when I get up to let someone out of the row.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:28 am

I went to a local Radio Shack and bought an adaptor for about $5... money well spent... I can use my own headphones, and the fidelity is 100 times better....
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by raiachat
Flew CO 611 yday AM and was pleasantly surprised to find Direct TV installed! Nice change CO and enjoyed it immensely.

Ditto! Flew EWR-DEN on 9/11 - free DTV in First Class
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by galeaoguy
I went to a local Radio Shack and bought an adaptor for about $5... money well spent... I can use my own headphones, and the fidelity is 100 times better....
Well you could have bought the earbuds on board for $1 which come with the two prong adapter. That is what I did and use them with my NC headphones.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by unicon
Well you could have bought the earbuds on board for $1 which come with the two prong adapter.
Or taken them for free on the LiveTV flights. :-:
Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL GM
3 flights with DTV so far.

Flight 1: FC, was losing signal for at least 40% of the flight. Glad I didn't pay $6 for it
Flight 2: FC, worked great while I was awake
Flight 3: FC, the entire system was disconnected because it was triggering some circuit in the cockpit and they had to disable it. This included the in-seat power.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, Hertz, Avis, Marriott, Hilton HH
Originally Posted by Laughable
3 flights with DTV so far.

Flight 1: FC, was losing signal for at least 40% of the flight. Glad I didn't pay $6 for it
Flight 2: FC, worked great while I was awake
Flight 3: FC, the entire system was disconnected because it was triggering some circuit in the cockpit and they had to disable it. This included the in-seat power.
DTV=Disabled TeleVision
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:03 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
I had my first flight with the Directv today from IAH to LAX and it made the flight so much more painless!!!!
Is there anyway to know from the equipment listing whether the flight is a 737-900ER that has it? My trip today had 2 737-900's but only one was the ER.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PWP Postmaster General, :rolleyes: Sapphire, UA GS, and Marriott Plat
Check under In Flight Amenities on either the PDA site or co.com/info
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Aisle 16 Tray Table or TV ??

As per Seat Guru's "suggestion", I've selected 16C on my 739 flight with DTV service. I notice that it says the tray table is in the seatback for these seats. If that's the case where is the DTV screen ?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by mauld
As per Seat Guru's "suggestion", I've selected 16C on my 739 flight with DTV service. I notice that it says the tray table is in the seatback for these seats. If that's the case where is the DTV screen ?
above the tray table, just like every other seat on the plane with the exception of F and bulkhead seats.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by raiachat
Flew CO 611 yday AM and was pleasantly surprised to find Direct TV installed! Nice change CO and enjoyed it immensely. Now if you can only get rid of those lousy "Bud Earphones" it would be a better experience overall.

Flew PHX-EWR last sunday in F. Free DTV. Liked having the choice of different programming.

HATE the earbuds too! they really hurt my ears. Guess I'm going to have to break down and buy myself a set of headphones, even thought I'm probably the only human being who doesn't own an iPod or iTouch or any form of music player.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.