Community
Wiki Posts
Search

38 minute connection in Cleveland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Are the United Express flights spread across two terminals? Even when it's a tiny plane and a slightly-less-tiny plane?

I was thinking we'd check baggage as much as possible and avoid having to planeside-check anything. That way we can bolt off of the first flight without hanging around waiting for bags.

I care somewhat less if our baggage makes the connection. Kansas City area is home...if we get there ontime and the bags show up at my house the next day, I can live with that in the grand scheme of things.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
Are the United Express flights spread across two terminals? Even when it's a tiny plane and a slightly-less-tiny plane?

I was thinking we'd check baggage as much as possible and avoid having to planeside-check anything. That way we can bolt off of the first flight without hanging around waiting for bags.

I care somewhat less if our baggage makes the connection. Kansas City area is home...if we get there ontime and the bags show up at my house the next day, I can live with that in the grand scheme of things.
Yes I've done roc and buf connections in cle en route to mht on q200/400s and had to connect from d to c to get on rj's

If going d to c or c to d then at least 15 min will be necessary (ESP if gate checking and they aren't quick getting them to you but cle ground crews usually are efficient)
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
I have a similar scenario as the OP of this thread, but 4 years later...

I fly from YUL to CLE and with a recent UA schedule change, I now only have a 48 min connection go get to my CLE-SFO flight. They will be in different terminals given one is UX and the other UA. Is the airport still setup such that this connection time is enough?

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:41 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I just did a CLE UX-UA connection yesterday where I arrived at D2E and departed from C3. The walk took me 10 minutes but worth noting for my flight was that everyone was kept on the UX plane until all the gate checked bags were off loaded and placed on the cart for planeside pick-up and that took a good 10-15 minutes. Didn't matter to me as I had carry-on only and a 1:15 conx but some on the flight were getting antsy as they had a tight conx.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
I just did a CLE UX-UA connection yesterday where I arrived at D2E and departed from C3. The walk took me 10 minutes but worth noting for my flight was that everyone was kept on the UX plane until all the gate checked bags were off loaded and placed on the cart for planeside pick-up and that took a good 10-15 minutes. Didn't matter to me as I had carry-on only and a 1:15 conx but some on the flight were getting antsy as they had a tight conx.
Thanks for the info! Is that normal operating procedure to do that? (hold people till gate checked bags are off loaded) That seems pretty weird.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinerd
Thanks for the info! Is that normal operating procedure to do that? (hold people till gate checked bags are off loaded) That seems pretty weird.
tends to be the norm for many (not all) UX providers when dis-boarding by stairs -- never seen it done for jetway dis-boarding.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
tends to be the norm for many (not all) UX providers when dis-boarding by stairs -- never seen it done for jetway dis-boarding.
Thanks - is there a pattern who gets stairs vs jetway at CLE? I'm on a 145 from YUL to CLE.

I figure I have a 48 min connection which means I only have 28 minutes (given 20 minute cutoff time). So if goalie's 10 min walk + 15 min bag wait = 25 - I could barely make it.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:06 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thanks - is there a pattern who gets stairs vs jetway at CLE? I'm on a 145 from YUL to CLE.

I figure I have a 48 min connection which means I only have 28 minutes (given 20 minute cutoff time). So if goalie's 10 min walk + 15 min bag wait = 25 - I could barely make it.
I'm not an expert on CLE by any means but keep in mind that you could also arrive into Terminal C. Yesterday's flight for me was a Q200 IAD-CLE into Terminal D but 3 weeks ago, I departed CLE-IAD on an Er145 out of Terminal C
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:21 pm

CLE has only one terminal. That terminal has four concourses. C & D concourses are very close to one another. A person of normal mobility can probably get from the extreems of D to C in about 10-12 minutes. One can go from extreems of airport - that is from D to the end of A in about 15-18 minutes.

Many - perhaps majority of regional ops are on concourse D remainder aer on concourse C.

Unlike MCI no need to re-clear through security.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:48 pm

Thanks for the tips. Here's hoping that my inbound flight isn't delayed...or the next SFO flight is 9 hours later...
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:42 am

Thanks for the tips. Here's hoping that my inbound flight isn't delayed...or the next SFO flight is 9 hours later...
If you do miss, you'd be better looking for CLE-ORD-SFO or CLE-DEN-SFO.

Although, Cleveland is a nice city to visit. Take the Rapid Transit downtown.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:33 pm

What happens if you miss the next flight

We do not fly often and we have a 45 minute connect time in SFO, so I was wondering if our first flight gets delayed and miss our next flight what happens then. I really hope that doesn't happen to us, but would like to know what to do if something like that happens.
Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by muskie_one
We do not fly often and we have a 45 minute connect time in SFO, so I was wondering if our first flight gets delayed and miss our next flight what happens then. I really hope that doesn't happen to us, but would like to know what to do if something like that happens.
Thanks
You will be routed by the next flight with available space. If some UA controlled reason created the mis-connect, there might be some compensation if the delay is long enough (and if overnight, lodging). If WX delay, ATC or some other item outside of UA's control, probably nothing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2013 at 12:53 am
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Generic question about MCT's. I had a schedule change a couple days ago and it got me thinking...

Originally booked a domestic connection with about 1 hour between flights. Now changes have happened and it's only 1 minute over the MCT for that airport. Midweek flight, morning flight, I'm flying solo and I can move fast if I have to...not too worried about it myself...but...I wonder if UA would show any mercy to someone who called in and requested a change to something with a longer connection time?

Assuming someone simply wanted to fly a bit earlier, would UA let them do it? Or stick to the exact MCT and say they need to pay a change fee to switch?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
... Assuming someone simply wanted to fly a bit earlier, would UA let them do it? Or stick to the exact MCT and say they need to pay a change fee to switch?
While there may be some waiver rule, a "legal" MCT is what it is. In my experience there is some agent discretion (whether that still exists ??) and I would not be surprised if you might find an agent willing to make a change (and neither would I be surprized if some said no, it meets the MCT). The website will provide choices that are right at the MCT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.