Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Co.com over $2,000 more expensive than expedia.com??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Hi all,

Wondering if someone out there could offer any assistance.

I'm looking to do the following:

Oct 31-EWR to DEL
Nov 18-MUC to EWR

When I do that as a regular search on co.com, it comes to over $3100. I was actually hoping to do the EWR to DEL leg as a B fare (so I could upgrade with miles without putting out too much cash), but that brings it up to $3700. It appears that it's the European legs that are killing the price, as only Y class is coming up (and I won't be upgrading, so I have no concern about these return legs).

Now when I enter the same thing on expedia, I get $883. The Delhi flight is the same, but the return is MUC to Zurich to EWR. That option doesn't even appear on co.com. When I tried to force the option (i.e. EWR to DEL, MUC to Zurich, Zurich to EWR), it says that CO doesn't operate the Zurich to EWR flight on that day. When I tried just EWR to DEL and then Zurich to EWR, it suddenly does operate (about $2500, but then I'd still need to get to Zurich).

I'm tempted to just buy the expedia flights, but I don't really like expedia and with that, you don't know what fare class you're getting. I REALLY want to upgrade to Delhi (without shelling out a month's pay, lol), so I'd much prefer to book directly with CO.

I haven't tried calling an agent yet, but will do so.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:05 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

What is the operating carrier for the return? I'm sure Expedia is pricing out two one-ways (CO on the way out & the other carrier on the return). Can you do this, or book it all on the other carrier's site?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

it's LH to Zurich, then CO. That's what is so confusing...
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Hmmm, Kayak doesn't find that at all, so it's weird!

I get the same results on CO, but I think it's a programming issue on their end: They obviously operate the ZRH-EWR on a Wednesday, but they don't sell seats from MUC to ZRH, which might be what the error should say. Hopefully one of our resident experts will be able to help!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Hmmm, Kayak doesn't find that at all, so it's weird!

I get the same results on CO, but I think it's a programming issue on their end: They obviously operate the ZRH-EWR on a Wednesday, but they don't sell seats from MUC to ZRH, which might be what the error should say. Hopefully one of our resident experts will be able to help!
Thanks for looking...I was starting to think it was just me. Then I started to think it was some weird cookies on my computer or something, so I tried for the 10th time on the 10th computer before I posted this, lol.

$3000+ is WAYYYYYYY too much to pay for these two flights, so perhaps someone out there has a brilliant plan for me!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do you need to buy it from co.com? If either flight is in WESTNL fare buckets then the answer is yes, and at $883 I'm guessing that is the case. Assuming it is, book the EWR-DEL and ZRH-EWR flights on co.com. Choose the pay with cash option. Call the co.com support phone number, feed them the PNR (reservation number) and ask them to add the LH MUC-ZRH flight and reprice the itinerary. They should end up with the same $883 price and you'll get the 100% EQMs.

If the WESTNL fares do not come into play just buy it from Expedia and be done with it.

Also, did you get all the way through the flight selection process at Expedia without it repricing? It might be a phantom fare that doesn't really exist.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Assuming it is, book the EWR-DEL and ZRH-EWR flights on co.com, using your preferred fare class, e.g. B. Choose the pay with cash option. Call the co.com support phone number, feed them the PNR (reservation number) and ask them to add the LH MUC-ZRH flight and reprice the itinerary. Now, it won't end up with the same $883 price, because that almost certainly isn't a "B" fare that you're seeing on expedia, but it'll be less than co.com is currently quoting.
+1 ^

(and after the res agent reprices it, she'll say, "Wow! Adding that LH segment really changes the price!")
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:33 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
A way to do it is, as said, have the filght segments ready and call and spoon feed the res agent.

I needed to get a BC ticket for my wife EWR-LYS. CO.com would only price out EWR-CO-CDG-AF-LYS and return for 4100. When I searched expedia or orbitz, I got a 3000 price with EWR-CO-LHR-BA-LYS and return. I called reservations and after spoonfeeding the flight numbers, they came up with the same 3000 price, which I booked.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 6:39 pm

My personal experience with CO.com and Expedia was like this :
I needed a one-way fare IAH BKK...CO.com gives me a full Y fare quote at something like $2525 connecting in NRT either to NH or NW...
After I checked on Expedia, it quoted me the same one-way using CO and NH at $1300 some.
I then called CO and asked : would it get me 100% EQM and was told as long as the CO segment is booked in Q class and above, YES. So I booked it on Expedia and called CO to upgrade with copay and miles.
Many times even for simple domestic flights, check on Kayak first and compare the fares to CO.com when the CO.com fares seem too high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.