Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin abuse

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2009, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold
Overhead bin abuse

Hi everyone, I have been enjoying all the posts on this forum for a long time. I fly LAX-EWR-LAX 10+ times a year. I have enjoyed being a CO elite because it allows me to board the plane before most passengers. I am 6'6 and need all the space in economy. Recently I had a situation in which I would like to have some input. On my last EWR-LAX trip, I placed my laptop bag in the overhead bin. As I watched the passengers board the plane, there was a particular single passenger that had a very large backpack and an even larger suitcase. I was really surprised that they let him board with all that luggage. Anyways he was having trouble finding a place for all his stuff. A flight attendant tried to find space around his seat area which was 3 rows in front of me. As she made it backwards, she open the overhead bin above my row, rotated a suitcase, and took out my laptop bag. She asked whose bag this belong. I raised my hand and she said you need to place this bag under your seat. Now my knees are already touching the the tray table so the space under the seat is very valuable to me. Would it have been OK to decline? I did not want to make a scene but it is a long flight.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I thought this was going to be a thread about the "abuse" of the overhead bins during CO DO IV

Anyway, I definitely would have declined! They have no more 'right' to the overhead space than you do, especially sinc you were already boarded and situated. I would have complained about it and not let them move my bag.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I thought this was going to be a thread about the "abuse" of the overhead bins during CO DO IV

Anyway, I definitely would have declined! They have no more 'right' to the overhead space than you do, especially sinc you were already boarded and situated. I would have complained about it and not let them move my bag.
then you probably would have been ushered off the flight for not listening to a Crew Members Instructions

although I do wish ALL the Carriers would clamp down on the size of what they are letting on board
Old Apr 26, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by craz
then you probably would have been ushered off the flight for not listening to a Crew Members Instructions
I would have been scared to say anything for this reason as well. Which suggests that the only solution is to take a bigger laptop bag that she wouldn't assume would fit under the seat (which is silly of course).

I too have a smaller than the average sized bag but although it actually can fit under the seat in front, which is one reason I got it so that I know I will always be able to fit it in on a flight (no gate checking), it isn't obvious to other people that it can since it does look bigger, so no one tries to take it out of the overhead.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would have pointed out that I only have one bag in the overhead (which sounds like is the case for you; otherwise you don't have a really strong case) and thus feel like the bag should stay where it is.

I'm sure they thought it was someone's second bag (though I don't see why the other person's second bag is any different than yours).
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
I feel this particular situation (such as the OP's) often occurs when the flight is almost completely boarded. At that time, the gate-check luggage have all been taken care off. And someone boards at the very end,....the FA"s think its just more work to get the gate check people. So, they just find the nearest, smallest bag and ask that person to stove it under the seat.

I strongly feel that if that small laptop bag is the only piece being carried, then, that person should be allowed overhead space for his/her one item.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:33 pm

Yeesh...do you guys really think this would happen if the passenger's response is civil?

Seriously...we're all working together here. We don't want to gate check anyone's things if there's a workable solution on board. All you have to do is politely say it'd be best if we can find space for it since I have such long legs. I'm willing to bet that 95% of the time, there is space to be found for a small laptop bag if everyone is willing to work together and be accommodating. A little civility and professionalism (from ALL parties) goes a long way.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold
I checked in my other bag so the laptop bag was my only bag with me. Maybe I will take the advise and bring a bigger bag on board.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:57 pm

1 - welcome op
2 - can't believe you scored that handle
3 - bin abuse is my pet peeve and i have bruises to prove it. (partners elbows my ribs telling me to shut up already and myob)
i shake my head in wonder when passengers stuff all their earthly (travel) belongings into the overhead; briefcases, coats, purses, dinner, laptop bags, etc and worst of all... the sideways rollaboard...arrgghh. inevitably, on full flights, the last bags are gate checked and lots of pax are disappointed. i carry a fairly large shoulder bag (notebook, cameras, flash, bose headphones, books, etc) and it fits under the seat. once underway i move it under my legs and the seat space in front of you is free. you may want to try this. someone told me here on ft years ago and it really works great. especially when you have a window seat and don't want to get out to unpack all the stuff you put in the overhead.

- one other advantage... when boarding you just throw your bag under the seat and sit down. not blocking the aisle trying to organize your belongings.

- this may not work with the miniature space on the coach aisle seats.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
The only thing that you are not entitled to store is your coat, technically. Pre-boarding is not just a privilege so you can sit down first; if you are there first it should be your space. It was nice that the FA was being proactive to try to accommodate passengers, but if the guy is cheating with carry-on he should be subject to the consequences associated with breaking the rules.

You could have tried explaining that you are an elite and that you are already did your part to be considerate, by only having only one tiny bag. I don't know if you would have gotten you anywhere, especially between LAX and EWR, but it is always worth a try.

One more thing, you are gold, 6'6, and you did not reserve an exit row?
Old Apr 26, 2009, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flymeaway
Yeesh...do you guys really think this would happen if the passenger's response is civil?

Seriously...we're all working together here. We don't want to gate check anyone's things if there's a workable solution on board. All you have to do is politely say it'd be best if we can find space for it since I have such long legs. I'm willing to bet that 95% of the time, there is space to be found for a small laptop bag if everyone is willing to work together and be accommodating. A little civility and professionalism (from ALL parties) goes a long way.
I was replying to what IAH said in post #2, and from their tone it didnt sound to me like they would have settled for anything except the FA leaving their bag just where it was and how it was.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
Next time, politely explain no there is not room under your seat, it's your only carryon, and the other passenger's baggage is clearly OUTSIDE CO's stated carryon rules. If they try to push the topic, politely mention you happen to know Scott very well

Or say, "sure if there is a seat for this gold elite to move to in the front cabin, you can have all the bin space you want!"
Old Apr 26, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
Which suggests that the only solution is to take a bigger laptop bag that she wouldn't assume would fit under the seat (which is silly of course).
It's ridiculous, but a simple solution that works. I carry a backpack that fits under the seat, even in a puddlejumper. On long flights in coach, especially without an exit row, it's uncomfortable to lose underseat space even for my 5'4" frame.

The "put all small items under the seat in front of you" punishes those of us who carry only small items. If you want a place to stretch out your legs, bring a rollaboard. :P
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:24 pm

Just reading your responses I'm wondering would you feel the same if you were that last minute passenger? Would you be ok with me checking yours bags?
We try to encourage small bags to be place under the seats so we can place larger bags in the OHB, that way we can get as many bags as possible in the cabin.

As far as refusing to move your computer bag from the bin because you need the space under the seat, that is fine by me. Once again just keep in mind you will cause someone Else's luggage to be checked and placed in the cargo bin. Now they are going to have to go to baggage claims and wait for it.(and Like I said this could be you) they most likely will not be too happy with you, so when they start some beef with you, don't come running to me for help. Just tell them you know Scott and see if they care.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I was replying to what IAH said in post #2, and from their tone it didnt sound to me like they would have settled for anything except the FA leaving their bag just where it was and how it was.
Sorry if my post came across as harsh, it wasn't meant that way. If an FA requires something, yeah, we'll have to comply. I would remain civil (as always on an airplane), but would have been somewhat persistant in asking if my bag could remain up top since it's the only one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.