Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Severe turbulence paralyzes woman in CO511 restroom [18-Apr-2009]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, SPG Gold, National Exec

Severe turbulence paralyzes woman in airplane restroom

McALLEN, Texas (AP) — A South Texas woman remained paralyzed Monday after her Continental Airlines flight from Houston to McAllen experienced severe turbulence.
Three people in all were taken to a local hospital Saturday when Continental flight 511 landed in McAllen at 2:17 a.m., said Continental spokeswoman Mary Clark.

One passenger and a crewmember were treated and released, Clark said.

But a 47-year-old woman who was in the airplane's restroom at the time of the turbulence suffered a fractured neck, Dr. Trey Fulp, an orthopedic spine surgeon at McAllen Medical Center told The McAllen Monitor Monday. The woman, who Fulp did not identify for privacy reasons, was thrown against the ceiling.

Read more of the article here.

I'm actually not sure what day this incident happened though. It says the flight arrived at 2:17 AM, but according to the PDA site Sunday's and Monday's flights were not that delayed. Maybe it was Saturday's flight which was delayed to Sunday morning. Mods may want to edit date in title once we can confirm which day it happened.

Last edited by JetSetBen; Apr 20, 2009 at 6:46 pm Reason: Wrong date in title
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Wow, things must have been really bad enroute. Here is the local article.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Confirmed, the aircraft arrived early Saturday morning.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
This is why we all should pay attention to the seatbelt sign:

The flight's departure from Houston had been delayed, but the plane had begun its descent into McAllen when it encountered "sudden turbulence." The seat belt signs were illuminated at the time, Clark said.
From the Houston Chronicle's article on the incident.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ssullivan
This is why we all should pay attention to the seatbelt sign:

From the Houston Chronicle's article on the incident.

I was just reading the same thing and was about to post what you did. There is a reason why the pilots illuminate that sign - for our safety. That being said, my best to those injured especially the women paralzyed.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
I bet the FA's are going to really be strict about the seat blet sign now as they should be and the kettles are going to ignore them anyway.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:17 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
I bet the FA's are going to really be strict about the seat blet sign now as they should be and the kettles are going to ignore them anyway.
Yeah, frequent flyers never ignore the seatbelt sign ...
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
On the other hand, the crew had the seat belt sign illuminated for my ENTIRE 9 hour flight from FCO to EWR a few weeks ago, and we never experienced anything worse than light chop (and it was relatively smooth for most of the flight). Crews like that teach passengers to ignore the seat belt sign.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Beckles
Indeed. I think that there are quite a few frequent fliers who do not think any of the rules apply to them. Willful ignorance is much worse than plain ignorance.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:24 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by smp9778
On the other hand, the crew had the seat belt sign illuminated for my ENTIRE 9 hour flight from FCO to EWR a few weeks ago, and we never experienced anything worse than light chop (and it was relatively smooth for most of the flight). Crews like that teach passengers to ignore the seat belt sign.
Try it for a 15 hour flight from EWR-HKG...the ENTIRE flight...and it was the smoothest flight I have ever been on...
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by smp9778
You're absolutely right. I've had pilots tell me during the briefing that they'll just leave the seat belt sign on on those flights so that they won't wake anyone up with the 'ding' if they have to turn it back on. I always ask that they do not do this for the very reason you mentioned. Lots of people are complacent enough as it is..
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:32 pm

What part of "for everyone's safety, customers are required to follow all crew instructions and observed all posted and lighted sign..." do people still not understand? It her own damn fault if she gets injured because she can't follow a simple FAA regulation. If the seatbelt sign hasn't been turned off for a really long time and there's no turbulence, politely ask the F/A if you can get up.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by Beckles
I can't speak for all frequent fliers, but I do not get up then the sign is on.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by M11Stephen
What part of "for everyone's safety, customers are required to follow all crew instructions and observed all posted and lighted sign..." do people still not understand? It her own damn fault if she gets injured because she can't follow a simple FAA regulation. If the seatbelt sign hasn't been turned off for a really long time and there's no turbulence, politely ask the F/A if you can get up.
Good suggestion.. just have to find an FA to do so and that is not always the easiest thing to do.

Thanks to the OP. I will definitely think twice about breaking the seatbelt sign rule in the future.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
I'm very sorry to hear this and I hope for a speedy recovery for all involved.

This is not a simple situation. While this was a short flight, it was also arriving past 2 AM. This of course implies that that there were lots of delays involved. If the delays occurred in the penalty box, then it could be that they were on the plane for a lot longer than one would expect and the short period inflight may have been the first chance in some time to access the facilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.