Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double EQM Offer posted to CO.com

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
This doesn't really help me since i qualify on points and im a short haul flyer. But, this will be a nice bump in the EQM but will be silver in April and now will have the miles to match it.

On another note, im thinking of doing a PHL-IAH-SAT-IAH-FLL-CLE-PHL run on 4/29 overnight in SAT and 4/30....anyone up for it? ~9700 EQM'S with this run based on 500 mile minimums.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, United Premierl Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Ok, I just want to clarify something...

If I book a discount fare (W,E,S,T,N, or L) on continental.com, will I get double the 100% EQMs, or double the 50%?

For Example, on a flight to vegas booked in a "w" fare would I have

2227 + 2227 = 4454?
or
2227 + 1113 = 3340?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: CO-Nothing
we've got a san-ewr-hkg and back next month so we would already be close to silver but with this promotion, we can totally try for gold and maybe even platinum for myself if I can scrounge up enough time/money to fly. so excited!!!

I heart continental!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by westtexas
...I will fly on them more and possibly get Gold rather than Silver.....
Yes, but for how long? Are you now a loyal CO customer, or will you jet back to AA after making Gold on CO and try to hit higher status on AA before the end of the year?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Toog4me
I know we have a MR forum, but it's pretty mixed. In relation to this new promotion, does anyone have a good mr from lax? Considering $300 will get you ~9868 to ewr and back, is there really something that much better?
How about a trip to DUB.

This is great. I thought I would have to make several European MR but we can now cut our crazy two day European MRs to an actual vacation. We will be in DUB twice in May. I guess we will be back to PLAT soon. Thanks CO!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Hey I am happy about this...I have been a regular GOLD for the last 10 years except for 3 years when I was plat (2 from BIS & 1 from the 2x promo post-9/11)...with the downturn in the economy and my company reducing the number of trade shows we are doing this year, I was BARELY going to make Silver...now silver is in the BAG and I should make a GOLD again (and I can probably get my wife back to Silver) and I may even get Gold by 6/15 and with the rest of my flying try for plat....

Hey, I was not planning on adding any flying in the next 3 months...now I will...more revenue for CO when things are very thin...(got my wife as a GOLD companion upgrade FLL-EWR last week....that's how thin it was an a silver was battlefield upgraded after us!).

- HF

Even better that I just booked my vacation to Jamaica for May...now I am bumming I didn't route through IAH!
Old Mar 21, 2009, 3:49 am

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by USFreak
On another note, im thinking of doing a PHL-IAH-SAT-IAH-FLL-CLE-PHL run on 4/29 overnight in SAT and 4/30....anyone up for it? ~9700 EQM'S with this run based on 500 mile minimums.
Have you gotten this to price out on a weekend?
Old Mar 21, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by jottoson

If I book a discount fare (W,E,S,T,N, or L) on continental.com, will I get double the 100% EQMs, or double the 50%?

2227 + 2227 = 4454?
or
2227 + 1113 = 3340?
All fares on CO.com are booked at 100% EQM. Its when you book those select fares outside of CO.com you get 50% EQM.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by jottoson

2227 + 2227 = 4454?
or
2227 + 1113 = 3340?
Yesterday, I emailed OnePass cust svc asking that very question. I'll post reply when I receive.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
This promotion is really about OnePass (or any decent FF program) doing what it does best -- stimulating revenue by encouraging pax to fly the airline more often.

I'm sufficiently convinced that concerns over some sort of massive expansion/dilution of the Elite ranks are somewhat myopic.

From the standpoint of travel, we're in a Depression, folks - if there were hoardes of flyers out there who would go from base to Plat solely on account of a promo, there wouldn't be a need for this or any sort of systemwide promo in the first place. Rather, the legacies are facing double-digit declines in traffic and yields on a systemwide or near-systemwide basis, and a failure to slow or reverse that trend within a few months will almost certainly result in some of the most unsavory network and/or service changes ever seen in recent times.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by rkkwan
The current offer is double EQM, not OnePass miles. With a B fare, you should earn 250% EQM (150% for B fare, 100% for the bonus).
Now that I have read everything, I am going to do something unusual.
(Rant on)

The customer who is going to really get screwed is someone like me. Most of my fiights are short (300-400 mi) and unfortunately very expensive due to lack of competition, etc. So, the customer who flys CLE-SYR and pays $900 for a Y fare gets the usual 750 miles (500 + 250) and another 300 miles total for the bonus. While I never made many miles on these trips, I did make it up in points because I got double points. In this bonus situation, I get nothing additional. Sooo... the passenger who goes on a $100 fare across the country will get 2000 bonus EQMs, and the customer who spends seven times more will get 300 or so miles. However, EQPs will not change. I will get my additional 1 point which I normally get anyway.

I have lots of flights scheduled in the second quarter of the year, and many are in high fare catagories (no choice of mine), but because they are short segment trips, this bonus will have minimial impact on me.
(Rant off)

So, this is my suggestion, to be fare (pun intended) to the best customers CO has. Award an extra bonus point to those of us flying the bonus fare catagories. I believe this would be fair to all, and will show CO's appreciation for their most lucrative customers.

Originally Posted by fozz
This totally sucks. I was hoping CO wouldn't do this and that we'd actually thin out the elite ranks this year. Seems like that won't happen and we'll have a glut of elites as usual. Joy.

Business must be really bad if they decided to do this.
I wlll make plat no matter what, so I agree with the above. This will make upgrades for everyone much harder, and we will be hearing about it by the third quarter of this year on this site, just wait!!
Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:14 am

Programs: -UA 1K-Hilton Diamond-
Thanks for heads up !

Perfect timing for me.

Next month trips:

Round trips From Cleveland

Seattle

Portland

Orange Co.

Atlanta

^^^^^

TOP NOTCH !
Old Mar 21, 2009, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
EWR-HAM has now dropped to $370 all-in if you go nonstop. If you want a few more EQMs, or to sample the service of soon-to-be partner Lufthansa, or want to buy some Swiss chocolate, EWR-ZRH-HAM-EWR prices out at $420 all-in, with ZRH-HAM on LH and a 60 minute connection in ZRH.

Last edited by HeathrowGuy; Mar 21, 2009 at 8:46 am Reason: price change on flight via ZRH
Old Mar 21, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: CO Plat,AF Plat,SAS Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
This promotion is really about OnePass (or any decent FF program) doing what it does best -- stimulating revenue by encouraging pax to fly the airline more often.

I'm sufficiently convinced that concerns over some sort of massive expansion/dilution of the Elite ranks are somewhat myopic.

From the standpoint of travel, we're in a Depression, folks - if there were hoardes of flyers out there who would go from base to Plat solely on account of a promo, there wouldn't be a need for this or any sort of systemwide promo in the first place. Rather, the legacies are facing double-digit declines in traffic and yields on a systemwide or near-systemwide basis, and a failure to slow or reverse that trend within a few months will almost certainly result in some of the most unsavory network and/or service changes ever seen in recent times.
I'm going to have to figure that CO know what they are doing here. As noted elsewhere the last time this was done was just post 9/11 another time when flying was curtailed which it certainly is now and so they have some experience in looking at what this does to the numbers and behaviours.

My own gut feel is that it probably does not get people to fly more, but does get them to stick with an airline in order to get status providing that prices are at least in the ballpark. The drive to 1MM (or 2M or 4MM) combined with the double EQM will probably also help loyalty. There will always be exceptions, many of whom are in this forum. The prime exception being those of us who like to get plat on multiple carriers for various reasons. The upcoming switch to *A will drive many of us to lock up a Plat with a SkyTeam member in addition to getting our Plat on CO and hence *A. With the double EQM I will have my CO 1MM and my 2010 plat basically sewn up by end Q1 and I will focus on my AF Plat which I have not really started yet.

Now at least until the switch some of my AF miles will really be flown on CO so its not really so bad for CO and shows how confusing this all can be to keep track from our vantage point. What a carrier wants is passengers on their own tickets on their own operated planes and ideally ticketed through their own (online) agents. Thats what the CO double EQM program very clearly aims for. If a flyer booked with a CO ticket, on a CO flight, from co.com is getting AF miles rather than double EQM, well thats probably even better for CO. COs challenge is to keep me off the AF flights.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
EWR-HAM has now dropped to $370 all-in if you go nonstop. If you want a few more EQMs, or to sample the service of soon-to-be partner Lufthansa, or want to buy some Swiss chocolate, EWR-ZRH-HAM-EWR prices out at $390.33 all-in, with ZRH-HAM on LH and a 60 minute connection in ZRH.
Where are you booking the ZRH routing? Would you call it in to co.com support to get the 100% EQMs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.