Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Offers Double EQM, Will Continental?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:00 am

And unlike UA and AA, CO appears to be applying this to pre-existing bookings!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Reptile
Sorry Continental but you were warned by us.
exactly.....wallet candies time.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:09 am

Hold on: does this:
Originally Posted by co.com offer
Double Elite Qualifying Miles in this offer is defined as two times the actual base flight miles posted to your account for qualifying flights taken during the promotional period.
mean the 50% co.com bonus is not doubled, so this is really only a 50% bonus on discount economy fares and 100% only on higher fares? The whole 50% EQM thing means CO needs to be clearer on what is being doubled than do AA or UA, and they aren't being real clear here.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by yellow77

mean the 50% co.com bonus is not doubled, so this is really only a 50% bonus on discount economy fares and 100% only on higher fares?
if you are on a 50% fare...it doubles it, so you get 100% then. By my reading of it.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Steph3n
if you are on a 50% fare...it doubles it, so you get 100% then. By my reading of it.
The problem is the base flight miles (ie RDM) are posted at 100% on cheapo fares - it's the EQM that are 50%. (But I think I agree that you're right and cheapo fares booked on co.com will earn 150% for the duration, while cheapo fares booked elsewhere will earn 100%.)

What about sub-500 miles flights flown by elites? Double the 500, or double the actual distance? (Or 500 plus the actual distance?) Some details need filling in here.

But still, this probably means I'll book a trip to Korea using CO (as far as NRT) rather than doing what I would have done otherwise and switched to UA or AA, which I guess is the point here. (I'll also cancel an award booking or two and fly paid tickets instead.) So CO will get some extra $$ from me thanks to this.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Steph3n
That's how I read it, too. Interesting. That does decrease the value of it a bit, though probably not enough for me to pass on it completely. I guess we need to wait until someone on a WESTNL fare flies today and then gets the miles posted at the end of the week. It'll probably be next weekend before we know for certain unless CO Insider weighs in on the topic.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
That's how I read it, too. Interesting. That does decrease the value of it a bit, though probably not enough for me to pass on it completely. I guess we need to wait until someone on a WESTNL fare flies today and then gets the miles posted at the end of the week. It'll probably be next weekend before we know for certain unless CO Insider weighs in on the topic.
Hm... Need to figure this out soon. A "G" fare IAH-EWR-HKG is about $150 higher than the "T" fare my parents paid for travel during the period. Wonder if it's worth buying up to the "G" fare for the extra 18,950 EQM. Or if it means just getting 50% more, or 9,475 EQM for a r/t.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold

mean the 50% co.com bonus is not doubled, so this is really only a 50% bonus on discount economy fares and 100% only on higher fares? The whole 50% EQM thing means CO needs to be clearer on what is being doubled than do AA or UA, and they aren't being real clear here.
It definitely is ambiguous. I initially read it as meaning a doubling of base RDMs because it did not specifically mention base EQM's.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:35 am

I guess this helps me in my quest for lifetime miles, right?

otherwise, just means more competition upfront which sucks.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:38 am
Suspended

Ok not everyone is in my shoes but now having registered and with my PHL-SAN trip Mon where I was suppose to need another 6600+ for renewing Plat it will be down to 687

Thusly I could jump on an ElCheapo offered by DL or NW even at 50% EQMs as long as the flight is 687 miles 1 way and Bingo Plat again for '10 w/o even giving CO another dime I gave it to DL or NW (I know DL/NW wont earn me 2x on the EQMs I dont need it to).

as I said before its DUMB
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by craz
Ok not everyone is in my shoes but now having registered and with my PHL-SAN trip Mon where I was suppose to need another 6600+ for renewing Plat it will be down to 687

Thusly I could jump on an ElCheapo offered by DL or NW even at 50% EQMs as long as the flight is 687 miles 1 way and Bingo Plat again for '10 w/o even giving CO another dime I gave it to DL or NW (I know DL/NW wont earn me 2x on the EQMs I dont need it to).

as I said before its DUMB
Yes, not very smart for ones in your situation where you are already close to requalifying. However, in my situation I was going to concentrate on UA during this period and then get back to CO afterward but with them matching the promo it throws a wrinkle into my plans which is what CO ultimately wanted to do.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Just booked DEN-LHR for May plus upgrade on the outbound...CO just snagged an extra $1050 from me.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
And unlike UA and AA, CO appears to be applying this to pre-existing bookings!
I hope so. Earlier this week, I booked two flights EWR-BRU and one EWR-SFO. I expected to be in the 60K EQM range this year. I need to do some calculations, but this could get me back to Plat for 2010.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
I have a question on this disclaimer:

This offer does not apply to Elite Qualifying Points, class-of-service bonus miles, class-of-service EQM, elite bonus miles, redeemable bonus miles or promotional EQM.

<Emphasis Mine>

So, would BF be 2X 150% or 2X 100%? It seems to be 2X 100%, but I can't tell for sure.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by CO 1E
It definitely is ambiguous. I initially read it as meaning a doubling of base RDMs because it did not specifically mention base EQM's.
the offer says "base miles", and base miles are the actual mileage, no matter the fare class. I would read that to mean that a 1,000 mile in distance trip would get an extra 1,000 EQMs. So if you book a cheap fare, you'd get 1,000 EMS (double the base miles), plus the 50% you were entitled to already, for a total of 1,500 EQMs. If you book the same fare on co.com, you'd get 2,000 EQMs. If you book the seat in full Y or in First, you'd get 1,500 EQMs that you'd get anyway, plus the 1,000 EQMs due to the base miles promotion, for a total of 2,500 EQMs on that particular trip. Do I sound like I have a clue or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.