Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya Airways Stopover/Open Jaw

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Kenya Airways Stopover/Open Jaw

Hello,

at the moment I am planning my trip to Africa this summer and found some 23000 One Pass miles which I had already more or less forgotten.

Now, after playing with the nwa website for Japan I would like to know if it is possible to book this connection using 25000 miles: KGL-NBO (4 day stopover)-MBA-LUN or are there any rules I just do not see at the moment? Maybe someone could tell me if this is even possible before I try to book this flights on the hotline which was not very helpful the last time.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bookworm
Hello,

at the moment I am planning my trip to Africa this summer and found some 23000 One Pass miles which I had already more or less forgotten.

Now, after playing with the nwa website for Japan I would like to know if it is possible to book this connection using 25000 miles: KGL-NBO (4 day stopover)-MBA-LUN or are there any rules I just do not see at the moment? Maybe someone could tell me if this is even possible before I try to book this flights on the hotline which was not very helpful the last time.

Thanks in advance.
Generally you are entitled to one free stopover and open jaws are permitted. Have you tried calling the international desk to confirm?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Warning About Bags

Just a warning about KQ flights: they will only check your bags onward up to 2 cities. If your itinerary includes more than that, you'll need to claim your bags there and check them again.

I found this to be a huge hassle on my recent trip in/out of NBO, but after talking to several airline agents, this was their policy. (They don't believe in printers that can print more than 3 cities and/or multiple bag tags.)
Old Apr 15, 2009, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, they were helpful. ( I had forgotten this earlier)
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This is great to know that CO is still offering the 25k award within Africa...Im sure it will be disappearing soon. Sadly, DL/NW has already pulled it off the charts and doubled the amount needed. Does anyone know when this award will be discontinued?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
This is great to know that CO is still offering the 25k award within Africa...Im sure it will be disappearing soon. Sadly, DL/NW has already pulled it off the charts and doubled the amount needed. Does anyone know when this award will be discontinued?
Pretty much the whole award chart is expected to be revised with the move to *A. I have no idea if this particular reward will change or not.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Yes, but in the meantime, will this award stick around until October...DL/NW has revised theirs already so this is now quite the steal within SkyTeam. Too bad KQ is not listed on Continental.com...nwa.com/jp seems to have dropped most of it too
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Yes, but in the meantime, will this award stick around until October.
I believe it will.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Hi there,

Saw this thread and it got me thinking, but not very familiar with using CO miles for Kenya airways.

I need to go NBO - some airstrip in the Mara - NBO - Zanzibar - NBO, IF the airstrip is served by Kenya Airways, can I use my CO miles for this trip? Would it be 25k or 50k because it's essentially two roundtrips?

Oh, plus, this would be for next March, so would CO leaving Skyteam cause any problems?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:17 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Hi there,

Saw this thread and it got me thinking, but not very familiar with using CO miles for Kenya airways.

I need to go NBO - some airstrip in the Mara - NBO - Zanzibar - NBO, IF the airstrip is served by Kenya Airways, can I use my CO miles for this trip? Would it be 25k or 50k because it's essentially two roundtrips?

Oh, plus, this would be for next March, so would CO leaving Skyteam cause any problems?
It is two R/Ts as you have described.

And if you can get the two rewards issued before Oct 24 the it won't be a problem. After that it will not be possible to issue (or change and stay on KQ) the tix.

Last edited by sbm12; Jun 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Perfect, thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: UA
If the flights are only offered a few times a week or you can align it so you won't be able to make the connection, you may be able to get a free stopover even if the rules don't let you.

Just a suggestion, consider using the reward ticket on kenya Airways to get to Seychelles (SEZ), incredibly beautiful place. I used 25,000 miles to get a DAR-NBO-SEZ, SEZ-NBO-LLW ticket. Purchasing this would have priced out at over $2,000. Great bang for the buck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.