Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Presidential Plus World MasterCard "Elite Privileges" NOT the same as Elite Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Presidential Plus World MasterCard "Elite Privileges" NOT the same as Elite Status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Angry CO Presidential Plus World MasterCard "Elite Privileges" NOT the same as Elite Status

Came up short for Silver Elite status in 2009, so on December 30 I decided to get the $375 annual fee Continental Presidential Plus World MasterCard. I suppose I read the offer on the CO website a bit too quickly:

EliteAccess Priority Airport Services to make your airport experience comfortable and seamless:
* Primary cardmembers get their first and second checked-bag fees automatically waived (a savings of up to $80 per round trip per passenger checking bags).
* Priority check-in lines at the airport
* Express security lines, where available
* Boarding at any time through special lines
* Priority bag tags so your bags are among the first to arrive at baggage claim
I was sailing along nicely through January and February as Silver Elite, until I logged in the other day, purchased a ticket, and the system would not let me select a "premium" coach seat in the "blue" rows. I clicked around a bit and noticed my Silver Elite status had expired (I'm assuming March 1 they purged the system or something...) I called the OnePass customer service number, explained how I had received the Presidential Plus credit card and was informed by the CSR that "Elite Privileges" are NOT the same thing as "Elite Status". I do NOT get to pick premium coach seats any longer, nor do I get put on the waitlist for available first class upgrades. I whined a bit about the somewhat misleading verbiage and the diminished value of the $375 annual fee to me, but she wasn't gonna budge. Oh well, hrrrrmmmph. I can understand not providing the first class upgrades, I guess that's money out of their pocket. But not letting me pick among rows of empty seats in the front of coach and forcing me to a middle seat in the back? C'mon.

As it happens, I'm reading the First Class Flyer newsletter today (March 2009) and there's a blurb about how to earn instant CO elite status:

"Continental's Presidential Plus World MasterCard upgrades you to gold elite status through Feb. 28, 2010."

Huh?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by paule123
As it happens, I'm reading the First Class Flyer newsletter today (March 2009) and there's a blurb about how to earn instant CO elite status:

"Continental's Presidential Plus World MasterCard upgrades you to gold elite status through Feb. 28, 2010."

Huh?

that isn't true.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:52 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by Steph3n
that isn't true.
There was a targeted promo last year - I was targeted but didn't bite (was silver and was pretty sure of making gold anyway). If they offered me plat this year I *might* bite (hint, hint).
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mbreuer
There was a targeted promo last year - I was targeted but didn't bite (was silver and was pretty sure of making gold anyway). If they offered me plat this year I *might* bite (hint, hint).
Trust me, if they offered Plat (even targeted) they'd lose so many BIS Plats it wouldn't make sense.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I don't see anything in the list of benefits which indicates access to the Elite seating area and/or Elite upgrades. Of course, maybe this will incentivize you to requalify for Silver.

Look on the bright side: You will at least have a pleasant place to wait out delays and connections, and can relax with a free adult beverage or two.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:07 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
I *wish* I could buy elite status for $375! BIS miles.... and I do believe you can earn 2K flex EQMs with the card
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paule123

Oh well, hrrrrmmmph. I can understand not providing the first class upgrades, I guess that's money out of their pocket. But not letting me pick among rows of empty seats in the front of coach and forcing me to a middle seat in the back? C'mon.
Well Im happy that CO is doing this. If they allowed those with the CC to get the premium seats then Elites who purchase tkts after non-Elites can find themselves sitting in those middle seats in the back sorry better You then Me
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:12 pm

Here is the thread that discusses this credit card and I think your question should of been posted there. Here it is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-co-chase.html

Has a lot of info. GL
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
you get EA at the airport. you're not an elite.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: CO MM/Pt, SPG Pt, Marriott Au, others not worth mentioning
Given the fare sales to Europe, one might get enough to re-qualify for Silver with only a bit more than $375 out of pocket.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Like someone posted before, there are targeted versions of the card that do come with Elite status (upgrades and all).

If the original poster remembers if they were invited or if they just signed up, that will clear things up.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: Il Postino della PWP, CO, TrueBlue, Priority Club
Originally Posted by entropy
you get EA at the airport. you're not an elite.
I just got this (what I believe to be targeted promotion) and it promises Silver Elite Status, not elite access:
Upgrade to OnePass® Silver Elite today by acquiring the Continental Airlines Presidential PlusSM World MasterCard®. You'll receive Silver Elite status through Feb. 28, 2010, with benefits that include:

* An additional 25% Elite mileage bonus on Continental-operated flights
* Membership in Presidents Club
* Complimentary upgrades when available3
"3" is "Continental flights with a BusinessFirst® cabin, including transatlantic and transpacific flights, flights to/from Central and South America or within and between Hawaii, the Mid-Pacific and Asia are not eligible."
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AMF in NJ
I just got this (what I believe to be targeted promotion) and it promises Silver Elite Status, not elite access:

"3" is "Continental flights with a BusinessFirst® cabin, including transatlantic and transpacific flights, flights to/from Central and South America or within and between Hawaii, the Mid-Pacific and Asia are not eligible."
yes targetted promos include this, others do NOT.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CO_1mm
Given the fare sales to Europe, one might get enough to re-qualify for Silver with only a bit more than $375 out of pocket.

hows that? I just did BDL-EWR-SFO-IAH-EWR-BFS-EWR-SFO-EWR-BDL and got 18k and that cost $600

BTW SFO-BFS on sale was $400 ai $228 fare alone which was 12k
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
hows that? I just did BDL-EWR-SFO-IAH-EWR-BFS-EWR-SFO-EWR-BDL and got 18k and that cost $600

BTW SFO-BFS on sale was $400 ai $228 fare alone which was 12k
the art of exaggeration. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.