Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is it Me or Has EUA Become Almost Impossible Lately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!

Last week, I thought I was going to get EAU'd LAX-IAH when F was more than 9. Upon Check in, I was #6 on the list and 12 people had already been upgraded. That made me Platinum #18.

It was the same for IAH-ORD. 10 people were upgraded and at check in I was #3. The return I cleared at 5 day out for ORD-IAH but IAH-LAX again, 20 people were upgraded (753) and I was #7 on the list. That made me Platinum #27.

For the DO, 6th day out it was F > 9. After EUA, it became F5 and now F3. I didn't clear. All of the exit row occupants but 1 stayed clued to the seatmap. I don't even want to know what number I will be when I check in.

I just checked the return, now F2.

Buh bye First, here comes coach.

Will it get better after March 1, when all the outgoing elites drop their levels?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
It is the BUrP Syndrome.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I got upgraded 5 days out for both my DO flights.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: CO Gold
deleted...obviously my mind is still napping, I was thinking of something impossible hehe
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Last week, I thought I was going to get EAU'd LAX-IAH when F was more than 9. Upon Check in, I was #6 on the list and 12 people had already been upgraded. That made me Platinum #18.

It was the same for IAH-ORD. 10 people were upgraded and at check in I was #3. The return I cleared at 5 day out for ORD-IAH but IAH-LAX again, 20 people were upgraded (753) and I was #7 on the list. That made me Platinum #27.

For the DO, 6th day out it was F > 9. After EUA, it became F5 and now F3. I didn't clear. All of the exit row occupants but 1 stayed clued to the seatmap. I don't even want to know what number I will be when I check in.

I just checked the return, now F2.

Buh bye First, here comes coach.

Will it get better after March 1, when all the outgoing elites drop their levels?
It usually gets marginally better.

I have not noticed any drop-off in EUA's, however - currently 7 out of 8 EUA-eligible flights. The only one I have missed this year was DCA-IAH on a Thursday afternoon on a 73G.

Also, the "Customers Upgraded" list displays Y-up's (and presumably B-up's), so on the IAH-LAX 753 you mentioned, you were not necessarily Platinum number 27 because there could have been several Golds or Silvers on Y's or B's that were upgraded at the time of ticket purchase, but who were still listed on the upgraded list.

IAH-SoCal (especially LAX) can be difficult any time of the year.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
If I didn't know better, I would say that BlissWorld started a "will my upgrade clear" thread.

*grabs popcorn*

Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
West Coast based CO Elites fare very poorly for upgrades. I got 33% last year as Plat, and some of the flights I managed to do well on no longer exist (e.g., SJC-EWR, OAK-IAH). But as of recently, even SFO-IAH doesn't clear anymore.

The worst flight I experienced was a SFO-EWR with 66 Platinums in coach. They had to do boading by status -- Plats, then Golds, then Silvers, then Rows.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:04 pm

I often find its the companion upgrade that kills my chances dead in the water.
I almost always travel by myself.

I often don't care about North American first class (what a joke), unless it's a transcon.

Dragon at the gate told me "Mr. meFIRST, you are not in the running"
When I walked past F, I noticed that half the cabin were kids under 12. Some platinum or LK's friend with a large family?

I hope the catering stocked extra sundaes. This was EWR-SFO.

I was happy to sit at the back. Thank you.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I'm quite happy with my upgrade success after moving some of my business to CO.

Sure, sometimes my upgrades don't clear in advance, but I have a 100% upgrade success this far on both CO and NWA as a Plat. (except for the one flight I got denied boarding and got rerouted on a pretty full Sunday)
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
The worst flight I experienced was a SFO-EWR with 66 Platinums in coach. They had to do boading by status -- Plats, then Golds, then Silvers, then Rows.
I don't EVER want to see when my name shows up as #65 on the upgrade list...
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Also, the "Customers Upgraded" list displays Y-up's (and presumably B-up's), so on the IAH-LAX 753 you mentioned, you were not necessarily Platinum number 27 because there could have been several Golds or Silvers on Y's or B's that were upgraded at the time of ticket purchase, but who were still listed on the upgraded list.
Good point. With CO's generous Y/B-Up policy, you do get a lot of them, especially out of the West Coast.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by channa
West Coast based CO Elites fare very poorly for upgrades. I got 33% last year as Plat, and some of the flights I managed to do well on no longer exist (e.g., SJC-EWR, OAK-IAH). But as of recently, even SFO-IAH doesn't clear anymore.

Yes, CO would not be my first choice of program for top tier if I were based in California. I probably would do 1K as my primary and AS or AA as a secondary program.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommy777
I'm quite happy with my upgrade success after moving some of my business to CO.

Sure, sometimes my upgrades don't clear in advance, but I have a 100% upgrade success this far on both CO and NWA as a Plat. (except for the one flight I got denied boarding and got rerouted on a pretty full Sunday)
That's exactly how I felt last year when I first switched and flew 10 segments with CO and 4 segments with NW. My upgrade was 100%. Now, this year, I'm starting to fly a lot more now and I was stunned by how many Platinums were on my fligth last weekend But then again, it's nothing compared to channa's 66 Plat flight
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CO 1E
Yes, CO would not be my first choice of program for top tier if I were based in California. I probably would do 1K as my primary and AS or AA as a secondary program.
I've been an 1K for 3 years. I still have mixed feelings about UA. I am enjoying CO thus far, but just wish my upgrade rates could stay higher. I've already booked enough on CO this year. We'll see what happens. I guess I can always try AA is this doesn't work out.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I've been an 1K for 3 years. I still have mixed feelings about UA. I am enjoying CO thus far, but just wish my upgrade rates could stay higher. I've already booked enough on CO this year. We'll see what happens. I guess I can always try AA is this doesn't work out.
UA definitely still has its issues with upgrades due to all the 1K's and GS's in SFO and LAX, but it still probably offers the most routing options of any of the legacies to West Coast-based flyers. I would give CO this year and see whether it works out. If not, as you say, maybe try AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.