Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Breaking News: CO jet accident at DEN [20-Dec-2008]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking News: CO jet accident at DEN [20-Dec-2008]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I fly out of DEN Monday morning, wonder what the mood will be like on CO?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by boat9781
I hate the 735's...

Hope everyone is OK!

Shame this had to happen over the holidays, or any at any time for that matter.

So does this seem like pilot error or is it far to early to tell?
Pretty sure it is far to early.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by CObigtimefan
Hopefully thankful that no one was injured in a life threatening manner and proud that they have a well trained team that made that happen.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Just a reminder to everybody -- keep your shoes on for take-off and landing, don't change into your PJ's/sleeper suit until after takeoff and PLEASE, don't pop your Ambien until you're well in the air!
Good advice generally, but if you're wearing hard-soled or heeled shoes, you need to remove them prior to sliding out due to the potential for tearing the slide, injuring yourself, and leaving other passengers stranded.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by lille11
don't forget that 34 r is the monster dia runway, at 16,000 feet.....there would have been plenty of time to abort
34L is the monster. 34R is 12K. Regardless, it appears to be a superb job by Continental's crew. Well done!^
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:56 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CObigtimefan
Not sure about the mood @DEN but I'm sure FA's are going to be extra diligent about the exit rows being unobstructed for taxi, takeoff and landing.

I'm in 14F on a 738 tomorrow. Havent flown in Y all year and I hope my laptop roll-a-board will fit if I can't find overhead space.

Originally Posted by texd
Good advice generally, but if you're wearing hard-soled or heeled shoes, you need to remove them prior to sliding out due to the potential for tearing the slide, injuring yourself, and leaving other passengers stranded.
I don't think removal of shoes prior to evacuating on the slides is necessary anymore. Perhaps the slides are being made of more durable materials?

Glad to hear everyone made it off the aircraft and that there were no life-threatening injuries.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:07 am

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
Frankly, this is a serious incident.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6175524.html
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Good job to the FA's for the evacuation. I does sound like some of the passengers may have made the situation bad by climbing over the seats. I could guess some of the injures could be from sliding off the wing as there is no slide at the window exit of 737's.

Based on the news it seems the FA's had to deal with a lot of what they train for in the simulator. Here's some photos from the inflight simulator of some of the situations the passengers and crew were dealing with.

One main landing gear collapsed

Smoked filled cabin with light out.

Smoked filled cabin with lights on
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:25 am

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: Pre Merger - CO Plat/1MM/STAR. Post Merger - UA 1K/2MM.
I was on CO498 out of DEN at 2:50pMST. Winds were stout out of the WNW but nothing excessive. Skies were clear, all runways were free and clear of ice and snow. We departed out of rwy 25 without issue.

I've heard one unconfirmed rumor regarding the incident, but have not seen any mention of same yet in either this forum, on a.net, or various news sources, so I will withhold propagating that further until I can get more confirmation.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:01 am

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
here's some more detailed info. w/ pic

still sounds serious...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...9/detail.html#

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/20/col...ire/index.html
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Definitely dark in that area of the airport; likely too windy to put up a helicopter and DIA wouldn't allow it anyway. We won't see the extent of the damage until daylight tomorrow.
I think DIA would be a little more willing than previously thought to get aerial footage of the scene. I think we've seen a lot different approach to helicopter news gathering and access to airports from controllers in recent years. LAX with their numerous emergency landings covered live so controllers could use the choppers as a tool to give info to pilots. Similar incident with a COEX jet at IAH. Granted daylight aerials may give investigators better video, but the sooner the better.

DEN's probably better equipped to safely allow access to the scene than most airports in that situation to accommodate a news ENG helicopter crew's request after an incident like that.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum Premier; HH Diamond; Hertz President's Circle; Avis PS; AMEX Plat
News Releases
Continental Airlines Responds to Flight 1404 Accident
HOUSTON, Dec 21, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- HOUSTON, Dec. 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) tonight confirmed that flight 1404, a Boeing 737-500 aircraft carrying 110 customers and five crew members, went off the runway at Denver International Airport following a scheduled 6 p.m. MST departure to Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport. Continental and Denver International Airport are providing assistance to the passengers at this time. A number of injuries have been reported and authorities are transporting passengers and crew to area medical facilities as necessary.

The company is in the process of collecting additional information and will communicate additional information once it is known.

Continental Airlines is cooperating with all authorities responding to the incident.

"The care of our passengers, crew and family members is our highest priority and they will receive any assistance necessary," said Larry Kellner, Continental Airlines' chairman and chief executive officer. "We are deeply concerned by this accident and will do everything we can for the passengers, their families and our co-workers."

Relatives and friends of those traveling on flight 1404 who want to give or receive information about those on board may telephone Continental at (800) 621-3263 or go to our Web site at continental.com.

SOURCE Continental Airlines

http://www.continental.com
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:13 am

First and foremost, I'm grateful that there were no deaths or lifethreatening injuries in this accident.

On another note, flight 1404 is still in the system and available for sale in the future. You can bet that it will be retired as a flight number starting tomorrow.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:55 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
On another note, flight 1404 is still in the system and available for sale in the future. You can bet that it will be retired as a flight number starting tomorrow.
IIRC airlines generally retire a flight number only when there is an incident involving fatalities.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
IIRC it was Men's Health that reviewed various sleep drugs a few years ago and referred to Ambien as "like getting hit in the head with a shovel".
Does absolutely nothing for me. I had a prescription recently and didn't finish it. Benadryl does more for me.

Glad everyone seems to be okay-ish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.