Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Breaking News: CO jet accident at DEN [20-Dec-2008]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking News: CO jet accident at DEN [20-Dec-2008]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
www.9news.com is streaming their 10PM newscast live now.

Some pax saying the plane's nose was up for 3-4 seconds and then slammed back down, front of the plane "started buckling."
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I always take my redeye ambien just prior to boarding. It usually takes about 45 mins to kick in... flight is too short to do it after we are in the air
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:12 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Here's a link to a photo of the exact aircraft (N18611) involved in the incident:

CLICK HERE

Last edited by MileageAddict; Dec 21, 2008 at 5:27 am Reason: fix dead link
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Greg Feith interviewed on 9News, is interested in the crosswind, thinks it might have caused the right wingtip to drag, involving the right engine nacelle. Also wondering about a catastrophic engine failure of #2 which could have caused the abort.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
One earlier report here in Denver reported that the wing actually broke off. Haven't heard this anywhere else though, so I'm currently chalking it up to erroneous early reporting. Denver fire chief described the scene as told to him by his firefighters as "surreal." Apparently (after all passengers evacuated it sounds like) the overhead bins "melted into the seats." Still no pictures really of the plane. CBS4 and Channel 7 here in Colorado showed a blurry cell pic taken by a passenger, but nothing else as of yet.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:19 pm

Programs: Welfare
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Gleaned from a posting at a.net:
Have the Airbus cheerleaders at a.net called for the grounding of all 737's yet?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
One earlier report here in Denver reported that the wing actually broke off. Haven't heard this anywhere else though, so I'm currently chalking it up to erroneous early reporting. Denver fire chief described the scene as told to him by his firefighters as "surreal." Apparently (after all passengers evacuated it sounds like) the overhead bins "melted into the seats." Still no pictures really of the plane. CBS4 and Channel 7 here in Colorado showed a blurry cell pic taken by a passenger, but nothing else as of yet.
Definitely dark in that area of the airport; likely too windy to put up a helicopter and DIA wouldn't allow it anyway. We won't see the extent of the damage until daylight tomorrow.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

37 people now listed as injured, one severely; all now are listed in "good" condition.

Peeps being advised of delays tomorrow at DIA as the west side will be closed. The two 16/35 runways and runway 8/26 will be available, but this will effectively put DIA at half capacity on a Sunday semi-holiday weekend.

(I'll go out on a limb and say that they'll quickly open all but 34R/16L because DIA's runways are very liberally spaced and activities around 34R/16L shouldn't keep the other westside runways closed for long.)
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
sounds like the crew handled this well and got people off the plane before fire spread to the cabin. Good work.

This got me to tihnking about some of the items I even cary on(or check) on a plane and what I'd do if they were gone forever.......ohhh not good.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:40 pm

Programs: Nw Plat, Delta Dirt, Safeway Club Card, CVS Extra Care Card
don't forget that 34 r is the monster dia runway, at 16,000 feet.....there would have been plenty of time to abort
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:40 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Originally Posted by Steph3n
sounds like the crew handled this well and got people off the plane before fire spread to the cabin. Good work.

This got me to tihnking about some of the items I even cary on(or check) on a plane and what I'd do if they were gone forever.......ohhh not good.
I can't think of anything i'd be that concerned over, rather just happy to not be on the plane with it for its demise.

And about Ambien popping - if i take Ambien i can fall asleep more easily but am certainly not out of it. Does it really put other people in a drug haze?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:47 pm

Programs: Welfare
Ambien does not put me out except for making sleep easier as far as I know but I did cook in my sleep on it once. I did talk a person one day though that compared taking an Ambien to drinking a bottle of whiskey. She said that when she takes it she is useless and out of it for 7 or 8 hours. All it has to do is slow judgment a small amount to cause problems in an emergency. Like all medications they affect people differently. I take Norco for pain which is 10 mg Hydrocodone per tab and I take 2 at a time. They barely affect me whereas some people would be conked out with just 1 or even 1 Vicodin which isn't as strong.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by KNRG
I can't think of anything i'd be that concerned over, rather just happy to not be on the plane with it for its demise.

And about Ambien popping - if i take Ambien i can fall asleep more easily but am certainly not out of it. Does it really put other people in a drug haze?
Just some work related papers and info in other forms I regularly transport and what would need to be done if they were lost forever. Got some plans going on that already.

I am typically so tired when I step on the plane I can sleep without the meds which I am very thankful for, meds are bad for you and keep you groggy when you wake. Not something you want in emergency case.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
IIRC it was Men's Health that reviewed various sleep drugs a few years ago and referred to Ambien as "like getting hit in the head with a shovel".

Good for the crew and the FA's for getting everyone out. Way to go CO. ^

Couple observations: if the bins were melting onto the seats, that IMO can't be anything else but a fuel-involved fire. Crosswind probably dragged the wing, impacted the engine and sparked the right side. Wrong place wrong time for a crosswind gust.

(Other observation: at least it wasn't a newer 737.)
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I hate the 735's...

Hope everyone is OK!

Shame this had to happen over the holidays, or any at any time for that matter.

So does this seem like pilot error or is it far to early to tell?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.