Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Breaking News: CO jet accident at DEN [20-Dec-2008]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking News: CO jet accident at DEN [20-Dec-2008]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
9News has a video up now at www.9news.com - with an assistant fire chief.

A report that some pax had broken bones.

Some pax reporting that the nose had just lifted up when the incident occurred. (Must have been a heck of a jolt back down to the ground, which might explain all the reports of strained necks and backs.)

Sounds like all physical injuries; no smoke inhalation or burn injuries at this point.

Runway was clear - no snow.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
9News has a video up now at www.9news.com - with an assistant fire chief.
Thanks for posting.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Live press conference now on 9News.

Looks like DIA is operating okay with arrivals and departures.

Now saying the aircraft was about 2000 feet down the runway when it "veered off the runway" - so it may not have exited the end. DIA's runways are all long (12000 feet) and I'm thinking it would normally take more than 2000 feet to get a 737 up to V1. Pilots?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Hartmann
It appears they have removed seatmap and upgrade information from the PDA site.

The "status" message urges customers to call Continental for status updates: http://pda.continental.com/PDA20/Fli...b0369&gInfo1=1
SOP for any airline when there's been a "major" incident.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:03 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Live press conference now on 9News.

Looks like DIA is operating okay with arrivals and departures.

Now saying the aircraft was about 2000 feet down the runway when it "veered off the runway" - so it may not have exited the end. DIA's runways are all long (12000 feet) and I'm thinking it would normally take more than 2000 feet to get a 737 up to V1. Pilots?
Not a pilot, but 5-6,000 feet sounds about right and probably more in the thin air at DEN
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:15 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Continental Airlines Statement Regarding Flight 1404
HOUSTON, Dec. 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) tonight confirmed that flight 1404, a Boeing 737-500 aircraft carrying 107 customers and five crew members, exited the runway at Denver International Airport following a scheduled 6 p.m. MST departure to Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport. Continental and Denver International Airport are providing assistance to the passengers at this time. A number of injuries have been reported and authorities are transporting passengers and crew to area medical facilities as necessary.

The company is in the process of collecting additional information and will communicate additional information once it is known.

SOURCE Continental Airlines
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strong crosswinds now reported: 31kts/36mph at 9News website; 36kts/41mph reported live on air on channel 9.

(Odd at DIA because there are E/W runways to use - 8/26, 7/25.)

Last edited by DenverBrian; Dec 20, 2008 at 9:32 pm
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL Silver - 1MM, UA Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Denver METARs

Colleagues:

Here are METARs (weather obs) from FAA weather observers at KDEN around 6:18pm MT (0118z).

... 5:53pm MT ...
KDEN 210053Z 28011KT 10SM FEW040 SCT100 M06/M16 A2997 RMK AO2 PK WND 29027/0000 SLP202 T10561161

... 6:38pm MT ...
KDEN 210134Z 29024G32KT 10SM FEW040 SCT100 M04/M18 A2998 RMK AO2 PK WND 28036/0123

Note strong crosswinds very close to time of accident....
Peak wind of 36 knots.. from 280 degrees... 5 mins after accident!!
Remember.. runway was 34R (I think).

Need help reading METARS... see the NWS LZK website....
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lzk/html/metar.htm

tk

Last edited by AustinWeatherGuy; Dec 20, 2008 at 9:37 pm Reason: further info (again.. again.. again)
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
Glad that it's not sounding too serious.
I"d say it was pretty bleedin' serious from the early evidence:

Originally Posted by bspencerco
Apparently, a fire started on the right wing, and did enter the fuselage.... The plane... does have a crack in the wing, fuselage, and a small hole in the fuselage.
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
a passenger... looked out the window and all that he could see was fire.
It sounds like a highly competent execution of emergency procedures by the flight deck and evac drill by the FAs. Many congratulations to CO. Truly a disaster averted.

BTW, FT and a.net are streets ahead of the DEN media reporting this story online... the Denver Post has about five garbled sentences posted, three hours after the incident. Thanks to all who are relaying info.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: CO 1k. Still proudly carry PSA Executive Flyer smile not the fake USAir "grin!"
AP report

AP report:
http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pn...ne+topnews&ck=

Appears to be in stark contrast to the Air France flight that went off the runway while landing at YYZ a while back. In DEN, by all accounts none of the flight crew "surrendered" individually to a passing motorist and none left passengers behind... Then again, that's not a surprise for a CO crew is it? ^
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:54 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Gleaned from a posting at a.net:

New News Conf is just starting, Fire chief says all slides deployed and all 4 fire stations on the field went to the scene and one person listed as serious, and the entire right side of the a/c on fire and overhead bins were reported as melting onto the seats all pax taken to fire station 4 and all accounted for, 36 transported to hospital.

NTSB is already on site and starting investigation
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a reminder to everybody -- keep your shoes on for take-off and landing, don't change into your PJ's/sleeper suit until after takeoff and PLEASE, don't pop your Ambien until you're well in the air!
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Just a reminder to everybody -- keep your shoes on for take-off and landing, don't change into your PJ's/sleeper suit until after takeoff and PLEASE, don't pop your Ambien until you're well in the air!
This is a good reminder. I've seen so many people pop the Ambien on the red-eyes to the Mainland just before push-back. And then not keeping shoes on at take-off/landing.

Hope everyone on that flight has a speedy recovery.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Marriot Plat Prmr (Plat Life), Hilton Dia, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by rkkwan
From co.com's status page, it's 737-500 #611, N18611, delivered in 1994.
I am very glad to hear every one is essentially OK. I checked my Flight Memory logs and I have flown on that ship at least twice, although not recently. That is a little sobering.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:05 pm

Programs: Welfare
Originally Posted by ijgordon
PLEASE, don't pop your Ambien until you're well in the air!
I take Ambien at home and just a couple days ago I was picking up my refill and another customer at the pharmacy was telling me how she takes her Ambien while boarding so she is out by takeoff. I told her that was a crazy idea because something may happen during taxi or takeoff that required emergency exit and she laughed at me saying she was fine and nothing would happen. I hope she sees this story tonight and thinks of that conversation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.