Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Breaking News: CO jet accident at DEN [20-Dec-2008]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking News: CO jet accident at DEN [20-Dec-2008]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I just heard the breaking news on the local CBS affiliate--I knew I'd get the details on FT. I am glad no one was hurt. co.com is showing that the flight is now schedule to leave DEN at 11:15 p.m. It sounds like another plane was ferried to DEN to get the passengers.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL Silver - 1MM, UA Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Denver TV now reporting..

14 injuries...
smoke seen coming from aircraft..

tk
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AustinWeatherGuy
14 injuries...
smoke seen coming from aircraft..

tk
Fox31 news just reported about 26 injured pax that have been transferred to local hospitals, but again, nothing serious.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I am so glad everyone is okay!

Last edited by BlissWorld; Dec 20, 2008 at 7:56 pm
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
From co.com's status page, it's 737-500 #611, N18611, delivered in 1994.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dimramon
Fox31 news just reported about 26 injured pax that have been transferred to local hospitals, but again, nothing serious.
CBS just said 36 injuries...
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
Apparently, a fire started on the right wing, and did enter the fuselage. 26 injured have been transported to area hospitals so far. The plane is basically intact, but does have a crack in the wing, fuselage, and a small hole in the fuselage. Zero fatalities, all injuries were reported as mostly minor (sprained necks and backs)

This is all directly from a statements by an asst. fire chief on the scene, interviewed live on Fox news.

The uninjured folks were all taken to the President's Club.

Edit: Runway ice was stated to definately not be a factor, which with our weather the past few days, I would never have suspected to have been an issue.

Last edited by bspencerco; Dec 20, 2008 at 7:55 pm Reason: added info on runway conditions
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I hope everyone is alright.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:15 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Sounds like an emergency aborted take off! Good thing the aircraft didnt lift! ^ And its a good thing that DEN has acres and acres of flat run off area for such instances. At some airports going off the runway consists of going into water or across highways

Last edited by ANC; Dec 20, 2008 at 8:27 pm
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:16 pm

I hope everyone will remember that the media's reporting of "facts" within the first few hours of an event such as this are subject to gross error. I just got done looking at the sites for the three major network stations in DEN, and the info is all over the map. One says it was an IAH-DEN that was landing. Another says (appaently correctly) that it was a DEN-IAH departure. One station says it happened at 6-something, and another says 7-something. It's way too early to discussing anything as "factors", nor is the media in any way qualified to do so with any credibility.

The only sure thing is that an incident/accident occurred, and it appears that there were injuries and (thankfully) no fatalities. Local NTSB may have some authoritative comments sometime this evening, and a NTSB Go-Team will probably (as per standard protocol) come in the next day and takeover the scene.

Last edited by OPNLguy; Dec 20, 2008 at 8:27 pm
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
The local ABC affiliate was interviewing a passenger who was seated on the exit row over the wing. He stated that he looked out the window and all that he could see was fire. Scary stuff. Glad to hear that everybody is okay. It doesn't sound like the passengers are in the President's Club; but, rather, a hangar still out on the runway.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
a local GRB station just showed the "scene"
It was dark so all you could see were the flashing lights from rescue vehicles.
Its fortunate to hear that no one was seriously injured and everyone made it out alive.
Now, the real question... did they ferry in a bartender for the PC?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
It appears they have removed seatmap and upgrade information from the PDA site.

The "status" message urges customers to call Continental for status updates: http://pda.continental.com/PDA20/Fli...b0369&gInfo1=1
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by ANC
Sounds like an emergency aborted take off! Good thing the aircraft didnt lift! ^ And its a good thing that DEN has acres and acres of flat run off area for such instances. At some airports going off the runway consists of going into water or across highways
Yeah, I think about that sometimes when taking off at some other airports.
Hope everyone is fine on this flight.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Glad to hear that everybody is okay. It doesn't sound like the passengers are in the President's Club; but, rather, a hangar still out on the runway.
I'd want a nice stiff drink in the PC if I had walked off that plane. Glad to hear the few injuries seem to be minor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.