Wiki Posts
Search

Have to fly Delta for the first time...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2008, 12:54 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Delta will match up to Gold status and it should be good through February 10. The process is very, very slow. It can take up to three weeks to honor the request.
Wow. CO did it within a few hours (though this required a phone call). I wanted the Y-up.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by ralfp
Wow. CO did it within a few hours (though this required a phone call). I wanted the Y-up.
CO is fast; when I used status to get matched to Gold on Delta last year. It took over three weeks. I called to find out about the delay as I was getting ready to purchase tickets and was told that they have very few people working on that particular activity. So, if you do try for a status match on Delta, don't be surprised if it takes a long time.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 7:01 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have been very happy with DL. You can compare my upgrade percentages in the signature below.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Delta will match up to Gold status and it should be good through February 10. The process is very, very slow. It can take up to three weeks to honor the request.
Mine took 4 days. They will match up to Gold, and a match now would be good through February 2010.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: Lots
How does one go about this status match with Delta? I'm one segment away from silver on CO, but only half way there on DL, and will start having MQMs drop off in January.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vatraveler
I have been very happy with DL. You can compare my upgrade percentages in the signature below.
You're upgrade percentage on CO is much higher than I have managed in the last four years! Your experience on DL matches mine; in terms of my upgrade experience, EXP on AA matches DL.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DashPilot
How does one go about this status match with Delta? I'm one segment away from silver on CO, but only half way there on DL, and will start having MQMs drop off in January.
I'd check the DL forum to find out if there are ways to get MQMs rather than flying. I haven't paid any attention to the offers this year, but if they're out there, you'll find them on DL. Last year, for example, it was possible to earn 60,000 MQMs without flying.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:02 pm

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
I have had the opportunity (misfortune) this year to earn Platinum status on both Delta and Continental with BIS miles (125k on DL and 75k on CO). This has allowed me to get a very good feel for both airlines.

Both Delta and Continental have excellent hard product. CO has the edge on aircraft 'feel', but DL flies larger planes on my routes.

Staff and Crew have been great for both.

It is hard to argue with 'meals at mealtime' for CO. I end up grabbing food before or after flights with DL.

DL has better schedules for my routes. DL also allows me to book O/W trips without forcing me into H or Y fares.

CO routing is a little better with IAH as a HUB.
the ATL hub for DL makes the red-eye from the west coast feasible (more sleep time).

DL doesn't charge me for SDC standby.

DL has a cheaper change fee.

Upgrades on DL were better as a Gold than CO as a platinum.

I only plan of flying enough next year to get top status on 1 airline. I haven't decided yet which loyalty program I will stay with, but the cheaper change fees, free SDC, and more versatile routings (with better upgrade possibilities) of DL is pretty compelling.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by DashPilot
The wife matched from CO to DL last year. I faxed a letter with the usual niceties about how she wanted to switch her flying, attached a recent OnePass statement, along with a copy of the card (I just printed the one out off of the web page), and the same details from her BA account. I think it took them a couple of days.

The fax number I used was 404-715-9220.

I'd check the DL forum to find out if there are ways to get MQMs rather than flying. I haven't paid any attention to the offers this year, but if they're out there, you'll find them on DL. Last year, for example, it was possible to earn 60,000 MQMs without flying.
The big promo right now is with Hilton. I think it is 1000 MQMs per stay (2-night minimum). The co-branded Amex cards also offer MQMs - I think the 60k MQMs are from stringing together several Amex offers. I don't know much about either offer, as the double MQM promo put me in a position where I didn't need any help - I earned nearly 50k MQMs in a single trip.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by pbarnette
The wife matched from CO to DL last year. I faxed a letter with the usual niceties about how she wanted to switch her flying, attached a recent OnePass statement, along with a copy of the card (I just printed the one out off of the web page), and the same details from her BA account. I think it took them a couple of days.

The fax number I used was 404-715-9220.

The big promo right now is with Hilton. I think it is 1000 MQMs per stay (2-night minimum). The co-branded Amex cards also offer MQMs - I think the 60k MQMs are from stringing together several Amex offers. I don't know much about either offer, as the double MQM promo put me in a position where I didn't need any help - I earned nearly 50k MQMs in a single trip.
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

I'm in Hiltons, but it's always one night at a time. Very rarely do I get a two night stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.