Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Got a Question? Your very own CO EWR FA is here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got a Question? Your very own CO EWR FA is here!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2008, 8:18 pm

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
Originally Posted by sbm12
That question was also posed by someone who just joined FT. Actually the first two posts on this thread are from people who joined FT on that day and both started posting around the same time (though they are certainly different people). Yes, the question about an AS reward was misplaced......

... In reality, FlyerTalk benefits by having more people involved, not fewer. Suggesting that we limit questions to a single party doesn't make any sense....
Agreed ... to a point ... sbm12. I was gentle in my chiding. Apologies to the first two posters ... I did not see their "dates of joining" when I posted.

And I did not intend to limit anyone from posting questions. It's just that an off-topic post mid-way thru a thread ... and even one that is answered in passing ... might wind up buried amidst an entirely unrelated stream of topically related posts. Thus, the information contained in a non-topical post might be missed by other FT viewers -- because the title and content of the main thread did not attract attention.

In the 2nd poster's case, the query most likely would have received a more responsive set of answers had it been offered in an entirely new thread. (I know! It was a new FT member. I'm just offering a suggestion.)
Old Oct 5, 2008, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
I'm for it. I think we could really use one in this forum, I mean heck even USAir has one.
Does US still have FAs? I thought they were enhanced out of the picture.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I have a quickie about overhead storage:

Overhead space is often very full, especially with the new checked baggage charges. There are always those inconsiderate people who put their luggage in the first available bins of coach, and then meander allllllll the way to their seat in the back rows. This skews the overhead usage and leaves front passengers swimming upstream for their luggage that had to be stowed further back (if it wasn't gate-checked).

I've never seen a flight attendant reprimand a passenger in coach for this selfish behavior. But I regularly see it happening right in front of a FA, so I don't think it's any secret that the guy in 26F just put his gigantic bag over row 6. I've only seen something happen in F about this issue.

Is there a CO policy about this? Do you usually/occasionally/ever stop passengers from doing this?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by adastra

Overhead space is often very full, especially with the new checked baggage charges. There are always those inconsiderate people who put their luggage in the first available bins of coach, and then meander allllllll the way to their seat in the back rows. This skews the overhead usage and leaves front passengers swimming upstream for their luggage that had to be stowed further back (if it wasn't gate-checked).

I've never seen a flight attendant reprimand a passenger in coach for this selfish behavior. But I regularly see it happening right in front of a FA, so I don't think it's any secret that the guy in 26F just put his gigantic bag over row 6. I've only seen something happen in F about this issue.

Is there a CO policy about this? Do you usually/occasionally/ever stop passengers from doing this?
There is no company policy on this matter, we only say something if someone from the main cabin puts the bags in the F/C bins.

I think that the non-frequent fliers want to have the bags right above them. The ones that are putting the bags in the first few rows are people that fly all the time and don't want to take the chance that the bins towards the back are filling up and they somehow think this helps them get off the plane faster.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by adastra

While this does happen when people are downright selfish, it is much more frequent when a person steps on the plane and can clearly see all the bins in the back full. So at that point, if he's in row 26, does it really matter whether he puts his bag in row 6 or 16? When bins in the back start filling up, I include in my announcements that "bins that are closed are bins that are full. Please locate any open overhead bin for your storage." This typically only happens towards the end of boarding, and usually does not affect many people. I also am very clear in my announcements- especially after CO's newest $$$ scam (why they can't just include it in the cost of the ticket, I have no clue)- that we allow two and only two carry-ons... ONE for the OH bin to be place lengthwise (unless you are in F/C where the bins are shallower) and one to go under the seat in front of you. I rarely have to gate check bags.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter
I also am very clear in my announcements...that we allow two and only two carry-ons...ONE for the OH bin to be place lengthwise...and one to go under the seat in front of you.
There's no requirement or policy for bags to go under the seat so no announcements should state such. I'll grant that as a courtesy to fellow PAX, one should place a smaller bag under the seat, but for those that are tall and have to shoehorn themselves into the seat, the under-seat space is precious room for their feet.

OH stowage is on a space available basis, only seats are assigned, not bin space. CO could enforce very strict size rules which would alienate those that push the envelope, or they could keep the rules lenient thus maddening those who travel light. It's a no-win scenario.

Last edited by pptp; Oct 5, 2008 at 10:56 pm
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:51 pm

Once had a guy in FC that reamed me out HARD for a full ten minutes because we were running late. He said that, while he has been on LOTS of flights that were held for other connecting PAX, CO has NEVER held a flight for him. I took it graciously and tried to sympathize with his plight.

Upon parking at the gate I had to grin when the gate agent came on and announced over the PA that: "the following flights are being held for connecting PAX...". Guess who's flight was waiting for him.

Another story:

I was brand new and working a flight on which a PAX was snoring loudly. A PAX sitting close to him asked if I could do anything about it. Being new and a little gun-shy, I just kind of shrugged my shoulders.

A little later in the flight, The snorer came back to use the lav. After striking up a conversation I asked where he was traveling. His reply, "I'm on my way to get an operation that will fix my snoring".

Last edited by pptp; Oct 5, 2008 at 10:57 pm
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Hello FA’s.

I am a very fussy eater and rarely eat the food offered on board. When I am in first class, would you or could you re-heat my meal if I bring something from home?

Thanks, Shawn
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:10 pm

On a recent trip during the last 30 minutes of the flight on a red-eye, all F/A's were in the F/C galley preparing all the liquor paperwork. I looked back into the aft galley and saw a woman drinking straight from the OJ carton that I left on the counter UNOPENED and she set it back down.....I went back there and asked her if I could help her, she said she was thirsty and so was her family, not only did she help herself to the new carton of OJ, she opened the bar cart and helped herself to sodas for her whole family and had them stuffed inside her sweater, obviously she had a large family as she had 6 cans of sodas! I explained to her that she slept through all of our services and all she had to do was ring the call button or come let us know she needed a drink.....
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
Hello FA’s.

I am a very fussy eater and rarely eat the food offered on board. When I am in first class, would you or could you re-heat my meal if I bring something from home?

Thanks, Shawn
You might find some that will, but we're not supposed to.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by pptp
Several excellent F/As that care very much about customer service would be willing to bend the rules for you.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:21 pm

There's no requirement or policy for bags to go under the seat so no announcements should state such. I'll grant that as a courtesy to fellow PAX, one should place a smaller bag under the seat, but for those that are tall and have to shoehorn themselves into the seat, the under-seat space is precious room for their feet.

OH stowage is on a space available basis, only seats are assigned, not bin space. CO could enforce very strict size rules which would alienate those that push the envelope, or they could keep the rules lenient thus maddening those who travel light. It's a no-win scenario.
Allow me to clarify- I state that it's a requirement to only have two carry-ons, and then suggest how each passenger can best ensure everyone's bag is brought on board. If someone choose to place both in the OH, no big deal. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:34 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Gold Hilton HHonors, SPG
It is quite rare for someone to fall down the steps off the aircraft. In the 3-4 years of operating out of BRS we have had some close ones but no-one falling down them.

Falling over on the ramp is another story though.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter
Several excellent F/As that care very much about customer service would be willing to bend the rules for you.
Thank you for your replies. I just did not want to be out of line with the request and have the FA’s think, “Can you believe this guy, he brought his own food, and he wants us to heat it up”. I guess I feel it’s almost like bringing your own steak to a restaurant. Well maybe not exactly, but you get the picture.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
Thank you for your replies. I just did not want to be out of line with the request and have the FA’s think, “Can you believe this guy, he brought his own food, and he wants us to heat it up”. I guess I feel it’s almost like bringing your own steak to a restaurant. Well maybe not exactly, but you get the picture.
The request would not be out of line at all. While there are many excellent F/As who are strictly by the book in all instances who may politely decline your (not out of line) request, there are also several who are willing to bend the rules on non-safety related policies to ensure the satisfaction of our loyal customers such as yourself!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.