Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Got a Question? Your very own CO EWR FA is here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got a Question? Your very own CO EWR FA is here!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by MBM3
Here is a fun question - what is your worst experience with a passenger in F? Or in general? Throughout the years I have seen some horrible treatment of F/As, most of which being the "waitress in the sky" attitude made popular by the Replacements.
I will have to say that most of the "odd" behavior has been a result of too much alcohol, IMO....

I had a passenger one time so mad at ME because of a mechanical, he was going to miss his connecting flight in IAH that was clear, even though I explained to him they would put him on the next flight to LAS. He was very close to being kicked off the plane while we were waiting for the plane to be fixed in MIA, the CA came out and had a few words with him and the guy assured him he would be fine during the flight.

Long story short, he held up the knife from his tray during flight and was trying to intimidate me with it, needless to say the authorities were waiting for him upon arrival in IAH. I have no clue as to whether he was arrested or not, I had to run to another flight and we are not privy to that information.

I have many other stories, but will have to do one at a time....
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Is there a certain city that you always try to bid for, or do you like a lot of variety in the cities you fly to?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:43 am

I like the variety...we have some great long layovers in great cities, that's usually what I go by...
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by skydiva44
even though I explained to him they would put him on the next flight to LAS.
This type of attempt to placate a customer can actually agitate them further.

You have no access to inventory or rebooking systems on the plane. And with load factors these days, for all you know, he won't be rebooked for 2 days. And for all you know, he has an important meeting or event to get to.

I'm not trying to justify his behavior, it was clearly inappropriate. But it's also worth noting that from a customer standpoint, blowing off a customer by telling him he'll be rebooked on the next flight when you have no access or ability to do this for him, is very frustrating.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:22 am

Why did you choose CO? (any FA can chime in)
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by OPFlyer
Is there a certain city that you always try to bid for, or do you like a lot of variety in the cities you fly to?
I am on reserve internationally, so I am limited to when I can pick a trip and when scheduling does the picking for me. :P I will say that sometimes the dice roles in your favor with scheduling. I have been to some amazing places I would not have been (DEL, HKG, GVA, TXL, etc.)

For the most part I fly UK trips, and I always try to be the isle F/A in BF. It does vary on a person to person basis though, some people prefer the main cabin over BF.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by OPFlyer
Why did you choose CO? (any FA can chime in)
I knew a few people who worked here and I was also a Silver Elite member before applying, so it only seemed natural that I worked for CO. The company was doing very well at the time, and seems to be doing the best out of the majors right now. Looking back I think that I made the right decision! (and who could pass up the great FF we have flying with us )
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: CO Plat, Hertz Gold, Hilton & Avis Gold, Starwood Gold
Overheads Bins

Welcome -- Good to have a thread for FA's. They can make a flight a great experience or ....

One quick question. I sometimes arrive late, and have trouble locating an overhead bin with space when FA's have jumped the gun and closed the bin doors. You have to dump your bag in the aisle and sometimes delay other passengers boarding while you hunt from closed bin to closed bin.
I have suggested to CO that they put small portholes in the bin doors so passengers can see if they are full already, or simply closed. But, no answer.
In the meantime, can y'all slow closing bins until everyone is on board?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by bartonhill
Welcome -- Good to have a thread for FA's. They can make a flight a great experience or ....

One quick question. I sometimes arrive late, and have trouble locating an overhead bin with space when FA's have jumped the gun and closed the bin doors. You have to dump your bag in the aisle and sometimes delay other passengers boarding while you hunt from closed bin to closed bin.
I have suggested to CO that they put small portholes in the bin doors so passengers can see if they are full already, or simply closed. But, no answer.
In the meantime, can y'all slow closing bins until everyone is on board?
I think the key here is that you were running late. Before we can close the door, all the overhead bins must be closed. Many times we assume that we are done boarding and start to close them. For the most part when I am closing bins I will make a mental note of a bin that has a lot of room in it, so if this happens again just ask one of us.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by MBM3
Here is a fun question - what is your worst experience with a passenger in F? Or in general? Throughout the years I have seen some horrible treatment of F/As, most of which being the "waitress in the sky" attitude made popular by the Replacements.
This doesn't top the guy with the knife, in fact, I only ever worked one flight where the authorities were called. But here's one (of many):

Being rather junior, I mainly worked the 757 trips to the UK/Ireland; however 9/10 times, I would work BF aisle. I loved it because of the service I could give and the (normally) calm atmosphere of the cabin. Y (especially to Ireland) was often filled with tourists going over to "find their heritage." That, in itself, is just fine and most were older people who were very excited and sweet. Many others were obnoxious and demanding, but that's another long story.

Anyway, back to my story: I was working the ice cream service with a Y F/A assiting me on the back side of the cart. We ran out of chocolate in row 2, so I had to run to the galley for more (after nicely letting the next person to be served that I would be right back with more chocolate as he wanted some on his ice cream). A "gentleman" in 3A (I'll never forget this) starts snapping his fingers and screaming, "Hey, I want ice cream. You can't skip me!" Mr. 3A starting screaming and calling us very crass names. I'm terrible with confrontation. All I could say was, "Mr. XXX, there is no need for the name calling. I simply needed to refill some items on the cart so that you and the other passengers here could have their choice of everything." He continued his ranting and then I said, "Mr. XXX, I will be happy to serve you once you calm down. We do not derserve to be treated this way and I will return to you in a moment." The gal on the other side of me didn't know what more to say, either. She just stood there, wide-eyed looking at me.

Thinking back, it was probably a dumb thing to say/do because I didn't know what this man could really be capable of (all over ICE CREAM!). Afterward, I was even beating myself up because I felt rude and that just wasn't me. Normally, I would've taken it with a "yes sir, I'm sorry sir" and moved on, but, for some reason, I had a gut feeling that I couldn't let this man have so much angry power over us. He had been giving me the creeps since boarding.

It doesn't sound that bad here, but he was out of control. I'd had people cuss at me before, but never to the line of verbal abuse. I don't know if his seat mate had calmed him or if he realized how out of line he was, but when I went back to serve him, he quietly asked for what he wanted and wouldn't give anyone of us eye contact or another word the remainder of the flight. I hadn't served him a lick of alchol, either.

The "good side" of it, was that the remainder of the cabin was overly nice to me after the incident. I'm sure I was visibly shaken. The back row actually quietly commended me later on. 99.8% of BF travelers are great. I do miss that job.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:21 pm

Do you prefer working INTL or DOM?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:39 pm
ecq

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I think we should stick with the COInsider if we have any questions..hes been good..
Well if that isn't just rude? This flight attendant came on to help and you flat out said "No, thanks!"

Welcome to the board COEWRFA!
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
How many people fall down the air stairs? No number needed.... just an idea: plenty, hardly any, rarely.... you know... an idea.

Last edited by spleenstomper; Oct 5, 2008 at 1:48 pm
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Non-TypiCAL F/A
IBefore we can close the door, all the overhead bins must be closed.

Does this include slamming them like Shaq driving to the basket in game 7 of the playoffs?

NOT to say you personally do...but I have been on a ton of flights where f/a's SLAM the doors...HARD! Do you ever think that some of your pax may be trying to sleep??

Thanks for the (quiet) shutting! ^
Old Oct 5, 2008, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by channa
This type of attempt to placate a customer can actually agitate them further.

You have no access to inventory or rebooking systems on the plane. And with load factors these days, for all you know, he won't be rebooked for 2 days. And for all you know, he has an important meeting or event to get to.

I'm not trying to justify his behavior, it was clearly inappropriate. But it's also worth noting that from a customer standpoint, blowing off a customer by telling him he'll be rebooked on the next flight when you have no access or ability to do this for him, is very frustrating.
I actually gave you the condensed version of that story, in fact, I did check with the Gate Agent BEFORE I gave him that info and they had already taken care of it for him. He shared with us that he had tickets to a show that night, not an important meeting to attend....I know the frustration of being late and/or missing a flight, trust me. He had a couple of drinks that I believe agitated his behavior....and before you ask....the Captain told him he would not be served anymore alcohol during flight. This also took place some years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.