Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Feedback Received: 500-Mile Minimum Restored for Elite Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback Received: 500-Mile Minimum Restored for Elite Members

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Delta SkyMiles Platinum Medallion, SPG Corporate Preferred
Go Scott! One of the best reasons to fly CO. Although most of my flying is international, connecting through hubs is always a <500 mile journey and this will help keep my CO account at a healthy level.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Elites on NW will have no incentive to fly SPN-GUM, since the 120 flown miles on Continental Connection (Cape Air) cannot earn 500 NW miles. Cape Air is not a NW partner. So only CO elite status will apply for that route.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DUKEswoosh
Go Scott! One of the best reasons to fly CO. Although most of my flying is international, connecting through hubs is always a <500 mile journey and this will help keep my CO account at a healthy level.
You mostly fly international yet you think the 500 mile min is going to keep your account healthy? Unless your international flights are to Canada or Mexico, I'd like to see the math and your definition of "healthy". My quick math tells me that it takes 50 500 mile segments to get the lowest reward....
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: CO Silver, Miles and More Silver
While I am glad to see CO is listening to the consumer and trying. I do not see what all the fuss is about. As stated by others on this thread and in other threads. This is not that big of a deal. I mean it is nice, but I do not count on these 500 mile runs or status or banking miles.

What caught my eye is the increase in the charge for reward travel, as an elite (all be it a lowly silver) I pay as much as a non-elite or gold elite! This does not seem fair to the golds or silvers at all.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by BigFly
You mostly fly international yet you think the 500 mile min is going to keep your account healthy? Unless your international flights are to Canada or Mexico, I'd like to see the math and your definition of "healthy". My quick math tells me that it takes 50 500 mile segments to get the lowest reward....
True but to those of us flying PIT-EWR or CLE-ORD or PIT-CLE on a regular basis, this is/was a big deal and I appreciate CO changing their policy. It was the #1 issue I had with the new policies.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
CO still hasn't updated their website to reflect this change.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 5:11 pm

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
Thumbs up RASM and CASM

This is a big deal. CO has made a TON of $$ off me flying EWR-BOS, or EWR-DCA/BWI. We're talking >100 cents per BIS mile under the formerly proposed rule. RASM and CASM are in the 6 - 12 cent range on most flights, yes?

500 min. is appropriate. Thanks Scott.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Am I the only 1 that thinks had AA jumped aboard and joined CO that CO wouldnt have restored anything?

CO didnt hear Us it heard AA!

so with not wanting to lose the people to WN & AA, CO restored the 500 mile min
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
Originally Posted by craz
Am I the only 1 that thinks had AA jumped aboard and joined CO that CO wouldnt have restored anything?

CO didnt hear Us it heard AA!

so with not wanting to lose the people to WN & AA, CO restored the 500 mile min
Typical airline test balloon, like fare increases made on Friday and rescinded on Monday when the other carriers don't bite. Texas is a three carrier market, AA, WN and CO. If AA ever drops 500 min eqm, CO will be following it in a Newark minute.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Delta SkyMiles Platinum Medallion, SPG Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by BigFly
Since I'm a Gold Elite, the magic number is 25. That's roughly 12 round trips through a hub. Or 6 roundtrips to Canada/Mexico via a hub. Not really a big stretch for some people. And you neglected other types of rewards such as magazine subscriptions, etc.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: Continential Platinum, WPerks Platinum,Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum , Avis Chairman's Circle
Well done CO

This is wonderful news.... This is indicative of folks listening to their Core business (us the Business Traveler). I am so proud of these guys and I really enjoy hearing about this.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
In this gloomy market I'll take anything. Well done CO!!!^
Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:32 am

I am a little confused on one point. Is it that the bonus miles (i.e. the 50% bonus for me a CO Silver) are calculated off the actual miles (if less than 500)or the 500 miles. I mean if I am taking a flight from EWR-RDU which is total of 416 miles, I have been receiving 708 miles in all. Is that correct? or should I have been receiving 750 miles? Its been over 30 flights and its been 708 miles for each of them for me.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:11 am

The bonus miles are calculated based on the actual distance, not the 500 mile min. So you're getting the right miles.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA-Plat, SAS Gold, Marriott-Gold, Hilton-DIA,SPG-Gold
nice work scott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.