Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC-Africa---Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by saccoNY
With *A there is no shot of this changing...

I looked into *A to East Africa and it is really bad.....barely any service at all.

Either I need to go to South Africa on SA, then up....or fly Swiss (LX)....
I recently flew JFK-DXB-EBB on Emirates. You don't earn EQMs, but you can earn regular miles. Alternatively, you can fly IAD-DXB on United and switch to Emirates for the DXB-EBB portion.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by devik
I've only flown KLM on one itinerary which took me on both the 747 and 777 (I think) last year, and it was the worst flying experience I've had in terms of being royally cramped (OK, yes, bad pun intended).

The 777 in particular had a really uncomfortable coach seat - and I thought CO's Y product was bad. I was especially surprised, given that KLM's lounge in AMS is the best I've ever seen. I also thought that airlines try to make long-hauls more bearable, but some combination of seat design and pitch made for a particular gruelling experience.

It sounds like consensus is for option 3, so hope your experience is better!!
I dont mean to question the accurate opinions of KL's experience, however, the OP is flying in J and not Y. I simply cant believe that KL J is really as bad as it sounds. maybe it is, but at least its not Y.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by saccoNY
Thank you....I am trying....I have tried CO, DL, NW, other VS gateways, etc.....to no avail.

I can do this with 225,000 and $800. the way I want.....I guess my big question is how bad is KLM?....is it worth an additional 65,000 miles and $450. to fly VS over KLM one way???

I'm just not sure.
I completely forgot about EK. that's definetely an option porvided they get you to a desirable point in africa.

I did EK JNB-DBX-stopover-LGW-EWR on EK/CO all with standard level OP miles. so i know its doable.

i belive EK J may also fall at the lower level (ala KL) as they have 3 class service.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by dlen111
I completely forgot about EK. that's definetely an option porvided they get you to a desirable point in africa.

I did EK JNB-DBX-stopover-LGW-EWR on EK/CO all with standard level OP miles. so i know its doable.

i belive EK J may also fall at the lower level (ala KL) as they have 3 class service.
Thanks...no availability on any segment, though I did look into...also the NYC-DBX flight arrives at 8AM and the DBX-EBB flight leaves at 820AM making a 24 hour layover in Dubai.

The UAL/EK option is interesting, though maybe a very convoluted
itinerary. I can look at a mid east-Africa OnePass reward, though I dont know if it exists.

I have selected option 3 with the hope that KLM isnt that bad...though my friend who I am going to visit in Uganda just today just confirmed my fears. I got a text this morning...yesterday, he took KLM JFK/AMS/EBB (in Y).... his flights were on time, but his bags are in AMS for the night!

On an interesting, and not so good note. I am unable to waitlist the outbound CO flight (CO28 EWR-LHR) because the KL Biz reward is different (120k RT) vs the CO BF/ VS UC reward at 180k RT....thus making it impossible to waitlist for a seat when I am confirmed on a lower reward...

so it looks like I am probably KL bound without checking everyday....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.