Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Lost 2 Paid F Class Seats Because Cabin Overbooked?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA

4 of us flying in PAID first class (A) tickets Sunday from MHT-EWR-IAH. When I booked the tickets, there were only seats available to assign 2 of them, but this was on a 757-200, so 2 seats were blocked (1A & 1F). I assumed there would be no problem and they would be released at the gate.

Get to Manchester, and they say "Sir, we cannot assign the remaining two seats - they can only do that in Newark." Fine. Get to the gate in Newark, present boarding passes, GA says: "There are no first class seats left. The two of you without seat assignments will have to sit in economy."

Me: "We have 4 PAID full-fare first class seats. If you upgraded someone in error to our seats, please remove them as we PAID for these seats."

GA: "Sorry sir, we didn't upgrade anyone - we oversold the cabin."

It was clear at this point that nothing was going to be done, so the two of us with seat assignments boarded and flew in first, and the other two went to the back. Before boarding, I asked the GA what they were going to do about this, and he said: "I have your boarding passes and will make sure you're taken care of."

2 Questions:

1) I am obviously due some compensation. What should that be?

2) I have never encountered a situation on any airline where the premium cabin has been oversold, thereby forcing a downgrade (have seen business oversold and folks upgraded to first). Does CO do this regularly?

FWIW, I'm Platinum Elite on CO.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, our bags didn't show up until 24 later.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
1. Yes, you should PM CO Insider with the details. He outlined in another thread the new policy regarding involuntary downgrade but I cannot find the thread.
2. CO rarely, if ever, over sells their premium cabins so I doubt that is what happened in this situation (especially by 2 seats).
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
1. Yes, you should PM CO Insider with the details. He outlined in another thread the new policy regarding involuntary downgrade but I cannot find the thread.
2. CO rarely, if ever, over sells their premium cabins so I doubt that is what happened in this situation (especially by 2 seats).
Completely forgot about CO Insider! Thanks for the tip - PM sent.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
they could've been bumped for FAMs.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by entropy
they could've been bumped for FAMs.
The blocked seats were 1A & 1F, both windows. IIRC, FAMs have to sit on the aisle.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Essentially, you were involuntarily denied boarding. I would have refused to fly in coach and would have insisted on being placed on the next flight to IAH in F, plus involuntary denied boarding compensation.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I would make sure any compensation they offer you in fare difference is between what you paid and the lowest available coach fare at the time you booked. Don't let them try to refund only to full Y.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:57 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
I would make sure any compensation they offer you in fare difference is between what you paid and the lowest available coach fare at the time you booked. Don't let them try to refund only to full Y.
x2
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Too bad this wasn't posted yesterday...we could have used the PDA site to see if anyone was upgraded.

Any chance that it was an equipment change (e.g., from an 18-FC-seat 738)?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:22 pm

Was this flight 211 on Sunday morning??
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Too bad this wasn't posted yesterday...we could have used the PDA site to see if anyone was upgraded.

Any chance that it was an equipment change (e.g., from an 18-FC-seat 738)?
Nope, it was originally scheduled as a 752, and that's what we flew.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Sorry to hear about this experience ... at least it wasn't the TATL segment that got screwed up.

Depending on one's flexibility, I might have tried to get rebooked in F on the next flight out, but since there were 4 of you, I think that would have not been practical.

You should (and I presume will) get fair compensation and, more importantly, an apology.

I, too, am puzzled that the F cabin would have been overbooked. Perhaps there were irrops on some earlier flights or delayed inbound connections for other F passengers, but that might be an explanation, not an excuse.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello FTers,

A couple of friends on independent flights on CO with PAID F seats were bumped to coach because F was oversold. It amazes me any airline would overbook business or first.

One friend made CO put him in first on UA from LHR to SFO.

David
Old Jul 22, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver - 1MM, UA Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
FT Colleagues:

Now that I read this thread.. I wonder how unusual this is.

On Tues/08 Jul...CO47... AMS-IAH... my traveling partner and I were asked by the Concierge in AMS to give up our two award BF seats and to take coach seats because.. and I quote.. "BF was oversold." To be honest, I was so surprised by the request that I chuckled and simply said she must be kidding and then said no. She then informed us that the back end of the plane arrived at the same time as the front end. I didn't really bother to respond.

tk
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Perhaps CO is beginning to oversell to increase revenue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.