http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080701/latu555.html?.v=4
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by entropy
All segments down for load factor... not a good sign
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080701/latu555.html?.v=4
Ouch.

Those Pacific routes look like they're taking a hit...
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Ouch.

Those Pacific routes look like they're taking a hit...
I can't help but wonder if that's due to the frequencies (or lack thereof).

When I flew to ICN from IAH, I wouldn't have minded doing the IAH - NRT - ICN route, with the bulk of my travel done on CO metal. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything within my travel schedule, so I ended up flying IAH - LAX on CO, and LAX - ICN on KE.

My return trip, however, was ICN - NRT - IAH, with NRT-IAH leg operated on CO metal.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Pacific route didn't do worse than Atlantic.

Capacity (in terms of ASM) was down 6.6% because they've cut the daily 764 HNL-NGO. By next spring there will be EWR-PVG, and that'll add a lot of capacity.

Load factor was down 3.1 percentage point, same as Europe.

The question is yield. Fuel prices are higher, fares are higher, fewer people flying. LF has to go down. Only question is if the higher fares charged per passenger is enough to offset the higher fuel cost.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not as worried about LFs when I see numbers like these:
Code:
    May 2008 year-over-year consolidated RASM change             7.2 Percent
    May 2008 year-over-year mainline RASM change                 6.4 Percent
    June 2008 estimated year-over-year consolidated
     RASM change                                           4.0 - 5.0 Percent
    June 2008 estimated year-over-year mainline
     RASM change                                           3.5 - 4.5 Percent
RASM continues to go up. That is good for the carrier. And the empty seat next to you (or not getting stuck in a middle) makes the folks paying those higher fares a little less crazy about that. Of course, the CASM probably went up more than that because of the fuel costs, so it still isn't necessarily profitable, but seeing the RASM going higher is a good sign overall.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
My observation - there is definitely a reduction in IAH-DCA traffic (with better upgrade chances).

Europe is weak, with the weak dollar.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by cova
My observation - there is definitely a reduction in IAH-DCA traffic (with better upgrade chances).

Europe is weak, with the weak dollar.
Does make US cheaper for europeans though.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: Il Postino della PWP, CO, TrueBlue, Priority Club
Originally Posted by otralot
But how many of them would use a US carrier? I'm not familiar with passenger patterns, but I suspect most would default to their local carrier, except maybe in some of the smaller destinations that CO serves.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I am traveling to Europe later this month. The bookings going East bound in late July are weak, but coming west bound in late July - they appear strong.

Most European's take their vacation late July and August - so flights are fuller coming to the USA at that time.

European's big into FF programs like us here are likely traveling on their own national carrier. But those most sensitive to cost may be traveling on US airlines with likley bigger discounts.

Fares are definitely higher for RT flights from Europe than from the USA.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
>>>>I can't help but wonder if that's due to the frequencies>>>>

For me, personally, it's their fares. Delta and American have my last 5 trips for the year because of an average $160 fare difference.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by otralot
Yep, so true. While the weak dollar usually means Americans don't travel abroad, many international travelers will come to the US. I'm in NYC almost weekly and I have never seen it this full of international travelers before. This almost seems like the first really big year for foreign travelers to come to the City after 2001. I personally think it's awesome to see.

CO might have gone down on RASM to the Pacific but they went up across the Atlantic. Overall, the numbers didn't look too bad to me considering the slow down in the economy and travel.

-RM
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
CO might have gone down on RASM to the Pacific but they went up across the Atlantic. Overall, the numbers didn't look too bad to me considering the slow down in the economy and travel.
Good point. June 2007 was a very good month with a very aggressive schedule from CO already. While June 08's LF dropped 3.1 percentage point, they still get a 6.5% increase in RPM for Atlantic. Tha't pretty impressive.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chasbondy
For me, personally, it's their fares. Delta and American have my last 5 trips for the year because of an average $160 fare difference.
Ditto. I switched to DL for my weekly commute flights from July 11th onward based solely on fare differences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.