Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What in the H E double L and I supposed to do now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle

Boy, did I make a mistake. I just bought a Presidents Club Pass. I just made PLAT on CO two weeks ago. I have almost a million miles in the bank. Now, CO is leaving CHA for good.

I'd like someone at Continental to give me advice. I did everything I could.

Seriously, I'd like to get some advice from someone at Continental

randidliyo
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1) Fly partners
2) Move

Hopefully you only bought a single year PC membership so at least you're not out a ton of cash there. And it seems like now would be a good time to consider redeeming some miles for a trip.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
>>1) Fly partners

Yeah, and nobody can say who those partners are going to be in the future

>>2) Move

Yeah, the housing and employment markets are booming so moving should be a snap.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by randidliyo
Yeah, the housing and employment markets are booming so moving should be a snap.
There's always Houston.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:15 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Boy, did I make a mistake. I just bought a Presidents Club Pass. I just made PLAT on CO two weeks ago. I have almost a million miles in the bank. Now, CO is leaving CHA for good.

I'd like someone at Continental to give me advice. I did everything I could.

Seriously, I'd like to get some advice from someone at Continental

randidliyo
Can't really expect any concrete advice until Continental decides who they are going to dance with.

You could request a refund on your PC membership due to the market exit. Not likely to happen, but maybe they will throw you a bone of some sort.

In the meantime, use your miles on Delta and Northwest and enjoy visiting CRCs and WCs. Maybe go fly Delta for a while since you show being a Delta plat.
  • If CO stays in Skyteam you are good.
  • If CO partners with AA, then go for a status challenge with AA and use your miles there.
  • If CO partners with UA, that is problematic as UA does not serve CHA. If the US/UA partnership survives CO joining the party, US is an option, but an increasingly bad one since they are eliminating elite mileage bonuses.
I'm surprised that HSV survived the purge, but we maintained our 3x daily to IAH.

At least you guys kept Allegiant. We had them briefly in HSV, but they didn't get the loads they wanted. My family is in Tampa, so I'd love to have your flights to PIE.

David
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:17 am
Suspended

>>1) Fly partners

Yeah, and nobody can say who those partners are going to be in the future
How is this any different then when a Carrier leaves 1 Alliance and moves to another, which happens.

Id say buying CO tkts is out for you and you'll simply have to fly DL or NW to their Hubs and switch from there, till you use up your stash of miles.

Now if CO leaves ST then you got a problem. Then it looks like you'll be spending alot of your time on Coupon Connection trading your worthless CO miles for DL or NW miles.

All isnt lost , except the PC membership, but blowing thru your CO miles will aloow you to use it also isnt good for entrance to both DL and NW Clubs. So as long as CO is with ST you should get your $$ worth out of it
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:36 am
JMR

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
PC refund is a no-brainer

You certainly are entitled to refund on the PC. The only debate is whether it is a full debate or a partial debate. (or, perhaps, if some other club there will honor it with CO picking up the tab.)

This akin to a national health club selling you a membership and then shuttering the doors at its local gym. CO has taken action denying you the foreseeable use and enjoyment of its contract with you. It doens't get to do that and keep your money.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:40 am

I think I'd at least ask for PC club refund. Hey, it can't hurt and who knows. Also, it will sned a message about the impact changes. As for miles, I think now would be an opportune time to book some BF tarvels to europe and asia and burn some miles.

In tyhe meantime, spend some time researching which alliance will work best for you.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Third option drive the 2hrs to BNA or ATL.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I'm surprised that HSV survived the purge, but we maintained our 3x daily to IAH.
I think the NASA and NASA-contractor traffic helps that route out a lot. I used to fly that route quite often in 2005-2006 for work and the fares were never cheap during the week, and the loads were usually pretty decent.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JMR
You certainly are entitled to refund on the PC. The only debate is whether it is a full debate or a partial debate. (or, perhaps, if some other club there will honor it with CO picking up the tab.)

This akin to a national health club selling you a membership and then shuttering the doors at its local gym. CO has taken action denying you the foreseeable use and enjoyment of its contract with you. It doens't get to do that and keep your money.
You'd like to think that, but the contract is written that there are no refunds. There never was a club in CHA; it was only going to be used for connections, and there is no reason it cannot still be used for connections, even if the OP is flying on DL or NW, so there is still potential to realize value out of it. Maybe not as much as the OP would like to realize, but it is there.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Maybe I'm wearing my naive outfit today, but I'd think that CO will take the high road on this case and refund a pro-rated amount of the PC membership if you ask.

Yes, the T+C's say no refunds, but this is an event caused by them, not you.

Good luck.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by belynch
Maybe I'm wearing my naive outfit today, but I'd think that CO will take the high road on this case and refund a pro-rated amount of the PC membership if you ask.

Yes, the T+C's say no refunds, but this is an event caused by them, not you.

Good luck.
I think CO would be DUMB to give any type of a refund. Besides that it states No Refunds. Especially as CHA never had a PC, if it had a PC then maybe the OP can make a case. But since CHA never had 1, the OP was basically willing from get go to pay for something that they would only be able to use during long connections or if the destination Airport had 1.

Now if CO leaves ST and the OP then cant use it at DL or NW that would be another case, but I can see CO simply saying the use at DL & NW clubs were only a side benefit and thusly no refund even then.

If I was the OP I too wouldnt be singing praises to CO, but the membership still has alot of value to them no different then if CO was still continuing o fly into CHA. And doesnt CO stop service in Sept
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by JMR

Your statement isn't accurate; among other things, the ability to cancel depends on what's in the contract.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by craz
I think CO would be DUMB to give any type of a refund.
Fair enough. But I feel like CO is trying to separate itself from the pack by earning customer loyalty and therefore able to extract a price premium from their customers.

If they spurn the OP then they'll most likely lose out on that person's future revenue. What's it worth in the long run? I have no idea what their individual travel habits are, but actions like this, with little financial repercussions for CO could make a customer for life.

There's two models at play. The US model of screw the customer and shake them for all their nickels and the treat the customer well and have them give us dollars.

I tend to think the dollars model is more sustainable if executed properly. But what do I know...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.