Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental’s Million Miler Program – The Details

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental’s Million Miler Program – The Details

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Yes sbm12, if the Million Miler member is also an Infinite Platinum Elite (from our discontinued program), the companion Elite level will be Platinum as well. The companion Elite will always have the earned or minimum Elite status of the Million Miler member, whichever is greater.
Thanks for the clarification. I missed the minimum earned or MM in my initial read. That potentially means that Platinum status is 2-for-1 once you hit 1MM miles, as long as you keep hitting Platinum. Very cool.

Originally Posted by cova
The spouse/SO is a nice feature, what it basically does is bump up the SO in the upgrade list and puts them in the EUA process.<snip>
Generally, the SO does not travel as much as the main traveller and likely in most cases when the SO traveller travels it is with the main person. If the SO travelled all the time with the main traveller - then they would be Elite and a MM too.
True, but in my case my wife travels a fair amount on here own - generally on the cusp of Silver most years. If she gets the benefits of my Platinum once I hit 1MM I may get some more leeway in planning some MRs. Oh, and she'll get more benefits while still only traveling enough to make Silver.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Another business opportunity for ALCO & Partners. Besides quickie name change to use someone else's non-refunable ticket...
Shhhhhhh.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA
The spouse/SO is a nice feature, what it basically does is bump up the SO in the upgrade list and puts them in the EUA process.

Before, a SO travelling with a Plat would get on the upgrade list at checkin time.

NW has had for sometime - EUA processing of Plat companion - at the same time as the Plat member - if on the same record. CO is sort of doing the same thing now for 1MM SO'ers - but restricting advance companion EUA - only to SO'ers and only to Plat/Gold with 1MM status.

Originally, when companion upgrades for Gold (top tier) was announced about 20 years ago - the companion had to have the same last name or have the same address and you had to show both ID's to prove it, before the CO agent would process the companion upgrade.
Since CO has the capability to track significant other/partner/spouse status, I'd trade away being able to upgrade any ole' companion for restricting companion upgrades only to SOs, and allowing that to run as part of the EUA process instead of waiting until arriving at the gate. Fewer total companions upgraded by Plats means more upgrades for lower elites (only applies at the gate, but still...), and better chances of both getting upgraded when the SO is present.

Frankly, upgrading friends and business companions isn't all that big a deal to me, but knowing I have a much better chance of the Mrs. and I sitting together up front on vacation means a lot more.

So I'm glad to see CO has this IT capability.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
That potentially means that Platinum status is 2-for-1 once you hit 1MM miles, as long as you keep hitting Platinum. Very cool.
Did not get an answer from CO Insider yet, but what happens when the MM'ers dies. And EVERY MM'er will eventually die. Does the Spouse/SO keep the min. earned or achieved level for their life.

When the MM'er dies, their earned level will drop down to Silver/Gold/Plat based on having acheived the 1M/2M/4M mark and no longer flying. And their SO will get that level - but can they keep it? Having not earned it themselves - they would not be able to select a companion, but it would be nice if they could keep what that had received from their now deceased SO.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Did not get an answer from CO Insider yet, but what happens when the MM'ers dies. And EVERY MM'er will eventually die. Does the Spouse/SO keep the min. earned or achieved level for their life.
Does CO have to know? How would they know?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: United, HHonors Diamond, SPG, AvisFirst
This is great news indeed, even though I have long way to go.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:38 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

When the MM'er dies, their earned level will drop down to Silver/Gold/Plat based on having acheive the 1M/2M/4M mark and no longer flying. And their SO will get that level - but can they keep it? Having not earned it themselves - they would not be able to select a companion, but it would be nice if they could keep what that had received from their now deceased SO.
Hi cova, we have indeed accounted for this, and this is partly why we want to keep the companion Elite benefit limited to spouses and significant others. When a Million Miler member passes away, the companion Elite will continue to retain the minimum Elite status of the Million Miler. The one exception will be when the Million Miler is an Infinite Platinum (via our discontinued program), in which case the companion Elite will continue to retain Platinum Elite status.

Last edited by UA Insider; Jun 2, 2008 at 2:56 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:40 pm

4MM miles is going to be hard to achieve. But there are some on this board who fly 75K+ on CO, and 100K+ on AA to get top tier on both. This new program will likely have the effect of getting more of those miles over 75K back to CO. (Hint - Cigarman).
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Sound like a good program. Better than AA's.
^
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:54 pm

Hi cova, we have indeed accounted for this, and this is partly why we want to keep the companion Elite benefit limited to spouses and significant others. When a Million Miler member passes away, the companion Elite will continue to retain the minimum Elite status of the Million Miler. The one exception will be when the Million Miler is an Infinite Platinum (via our discontinued program), in which case the spouse will continue to retain Platinum Elite status.
This begs a few more questions.

1. For Infinite Plats - you mean the spouse will retain Plat status - but a SO will not? Please clarify.

2. If the SO is a registered domestic partner (M/F or same sex) - will that count as spouse?

3. If spouse is the result of legal same sex marriage - such as CA, MA does that count?

4. If SO is opposite sex, but not legally married, but legally considered a common law marriage - does that count as spouse?

Now you are getting into a lot of legal situations.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
4MM miles is going to be hard to achieve. But there are some on this board who fly 75K+ on CO, and 100K+ on AA to get top tier on both. This new program will likely have the effect of getting more of those miles over 75K back to CO. (Hint - Cigarman).
Agreed, even if I rethink about maintaining 1K on UA annually, that 4M threshold is very daunting.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Giddy as a school girl

That [edit, forgot to quote -- that spouse is at same level as you if your current level is above your minimum level] answers my question and gives me the answer I wanted to hear.

Oh boy I can't wait. Between this and the NCAA Baseball playoffs, there's pretty much no chance I'll get any work done the rest of the week. I just hope I'm not harboring grand delusions about where I might be.

"You're not just telling us what we want to hear?"
"No, sir, no way."
"'Cause we just want to hear the truth."
"Well, then I guess I am telling you what you want to hear."
"Boy, didn't we just tell you not to do that?"
""Yes, sir."
"Okay, then."

Last edited by texd; Jun 2, 2008 at 3:06 pm
Old Jun 2, 2008, 3:01 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

1. For Infinite Plats - you mean the spouse will retain Plat status - but a SO will not? Please clarify.
Hi cova, that was a typo. For Million Mile Infinite Platinum members, the companion Elite applies to spouses and significant others.

2. If the SO is a registered domestic partner (M/F or same sex) - will that count as spouse?

3. If spouse is the result of legal same sex marriage - such as CA, MA does that count?

4. If SO is opposite sex, but not legally married, but legally considered a common law marriage - does that count as spouse?

Now you are getting into a lot of legal situations.
We're not going to require any proof of companionship other than your word that the companion Elite is your spouse or significant other, so long as he/she resides at the same address. The same-address requirement is key and will be audited regularly.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Hi cova, that was a typo. For Million Mile Infinite Platinum members, the companion Elite applies to spouses and significant others.
So all infinite plat members are expected to have both a wife and a girlfriend?

Last edited by texd; Jun 2, 2008 at 3:15 pm
Old Jun 2, 2008, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
A Big ^ to Co and Co Insider for putting this together. Although I just started flying CO a little over 5 years ago; I should be able to hit 4 mm by retirement and we can enjoy our golden years as plats

I've also figured that Baglady Jr. will hit 1 mm by the time she enters college so that will be a nice graduation gift from CO!

Reading these posts, I also see a lot of future dating ads reading "comes complete with lifetime xxx status"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.