Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-SFO: Best time of day for EUA?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 5:19 am
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keisari
I don't think he was upgraded thanks to you. I think he was upgraded, therefore freeing one seat for you.
Well our seat assignments were the same so we had to give our boarding pass to the flight attendant. Someone who worked for Continental and was flying in the row behind told us that was impossible that computers couldn't make mistakes. I was only allowed on a min before it was scheduled to depart so I think he got "lucky" because of me.
Old May 16, 2008, 6:25 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by msv
On the return the following Wed I went standby for the earlier flight and got the exit row with no one next to me which was really nice.
Took a Wednesday night SFO-EWR red-eye about two weeks ago with an exit row window seat assignment. 18 months ago this would have been an automatic upgrade. 6-9 months ago, there would be nobody in exit row middle seat. This year, the plane had about 5 empty seats with all exit row seats occupied.

It's just not that much fun anymore
Old May 16, 2008, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Took a Wednesday night SFO-EWR red-eye about two weeks ago with an exit row window seat assignment. 18 months ago this would have been an automatic upgrade. 6-9 months ago, there would be nobody in exit row middle seat. This year, the plane had about 5 empty seats with all exit row seats occupied.

It's just not that much fun anymore
Not so much fun for the airlines either when they can fly full planes and still lose money.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 5:46 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
I was very shocked and surprised to get an EUA for my Sun nite redeye SFO-EWR!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The gods must be with us. I was able to score a Plat companion upgrade on my EWR-SFO flight a week ago.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:17 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
heh I was just on an EWR-SFO flight that went out with 13 empty seats in first (!).
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
That's not good at all.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by yad
heh I was just on an EWR-SFO flight that went out with 13 empty seats in first (!).
And then you woke up, right?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by msv
Someone who worked for Continental and was flying in the row behind told us that was impossible that computers couldn't make mistakes. I
and he would be right, the computers dont make mistakes HOWEVER the programmers that give the instructions to the computer DO. @:-)
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Got a EWR-SFO transcon to book in end of July on a Saturday, what is the best flight time of the day to maximize the chances for the rare EUA?
REDEYES and avoid Monday/Friday.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by NYC1K
REDEYES and avoid Monday/Friday.
A red-eye on EWR-SFO?

Anyway, I fly EWR-SFO ever Saturday before Memorial Day and Labor day on the first flight of the day and have been EUA'd every time. This past Memorial Day weekend, everyone was EUA's and there were still 3 seats empty in F.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Upgrade Trifecta

I hit the jackpot on my recent trip EWR-SFO and SFO-EWR-BOS. I flew out to SFO on the 8:45am flight on Friday, back on the 10:10pm redeye that night, connecting to the 8:30am flight to BOS from EWR. Obviously, it's not a big deal to be upgraded for a Saturday morning flight to BOS, but I was happily suprised to receive overnight EUAs on the RT on Friday EWR-SFO. I was traveling on an H fare purchase several weeks ahead of time.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: Continental
that won't happen much anymore

Originally Posted by n5177c
A red-eye on EWR-SFO?

Anyway, I fly EWR-SFO ever Saturday before Memorial Day and Labor day on the first flight of the day and have been EUA'd every time. This past Memorial Day weekend, everyone was EUA's and there were still 3 seats empty in F.
I fly EWR-SFO on Saturdays too. But now they have removed the 753's from that route starting in September, and they will mostly be using 16fc seat 738's the rest of the year.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by hockey7711
I fly EWR-SFO on Saturdays too. But now they have removed the 753's from that route starting in September, and they will mostly be using 16fc seat 738's the rest of the year.
Yeah.... my last trip was on a 16FC 738 and as I said, every elite in the back was upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.