Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Questions about flights to Hawaii on the 767-400

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Greetings,

I have flown AA several times to Hawaii on their 767-300ER up in first. Most recently was last week and the aircraft had the new lie flat (at an angle) seat in first. Not too shabby but if you are in a window seat it is very difficult to get out. We flew through DFW and back through ORD. Here is what we got. As a first class passenger we boarded the plane first. Followed by coach passengers who went to coach through first class because entry was through the front door not midship (no door). Yes, they bumped everyone as they walked by and some made stupid comments out loud (ex: I guess we have to go to the back of the airplane). Received champagne or orange juice prior to departure.

Once airborne, received warm nuts and choice of beverage. Warm cloth to wipe hands prior to lunch and dinner. Salad, roll, choice of two entree's, sundae or fruit for dessert with optional cordial and the pre arrival snack of three crackers and some cheese (return flight was a muffin and juice). No amenity kit and no lounge access.

Don't get me wrong it was great being up front but I was wondering how does CO compare up front on the Hawaiian bound 767-400's? (i.e. entry onto plane, food, seats, etc) Also, if you purchase the F class ticket do you get lounge access and Newark, Houston or Honolulu? Just curious in case of more AA cutbacks.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
CO usually always boards with door 2L so you should not have to deal with coach pax. At IAH, BF customers have their own entrance into the foward door whereas coach utilizes door 2L. On this route, you will have BF seats with a modified BF service. You can view the menus for this month on the CO website. In my opinion, CO has the best service to HNL.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
CO usually always boards with door 2L so you should not have to deal with coach pax. At IAH, BF customers have their own entrance into the foward door whereas coach utilizes door 2L. On this route, you will have BF seats with a modified BF service. You can view the menus for this month on the CO website. In my opinion, CO has the best service to HNL.
....and you get lounge access in EWR or IAH and HNL.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
CO's BF service to HNL is essentially the same as its international BF service, except there are is no cheese/port cart after the meal, there is only one appetizer choice instead of the demitasse of soup + appetizer, there are no amenity kits, the pre-arrival snack is smaller, and on the later HNL-IAH/LAX departures, the only food served is a soup and sandwhich plus a pre-arrival snack.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CO 1E
CO's BF service to HNL
continental's service to HNL (businessfirst and/or coach) is one of the most discussed topics in this forum...right up there with EAUs, food, bad service at newark (EWR), president's club service/food/amenities, why is this aircraft on this route or at this particular airport, etc.

notwithstanding all the enjoyment that is derived by participants in this forum from the act of typing the same things over and over and over, perhaps a search would be the most effective* way to research service, seating, food, etc. to HNL.

*-when i say "effective," i mean that there is a wealth of information already listed which could be used immediately. there isn't the time lag waiting for people to reply.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, US Silver
I flew CO 1 last week to HNL. I really enjoyed the service and found all of the food to be pretty good, with the exception of the salmon canapé; I never eat fish on an airplane. The Ice Cream sundaes are a fun touch as well.

I like CO's 2-1-2 arrangement, although I wish they would have made it 2-2-1 for more aisle access. The 767-400ERs are great airplanes with the 5 abreast J cabin, you get the big 777 windows and overhead bins. Having lounge access should be mandatory for a premium ticket on an 8+ hour flight, and CO of course provides this. The seat itself was easy for me to sleep in because the leg rest actually raised pretty high. IFE is basic looped video, so nothing special.

One of the important things to remember is that CO 1 uses the Micronesia config, so there are only 4 rows of J, so you might need to book early. Also deplaning was a bit of a pain having to deal with the econ pax at 2L.

I'd say it's worth trying. You might have some things about it you don't like about it, but I think it's a solid service.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by IronDuke08
One of the important things to remember is that CO 1 uses the Micronesia config, so there are only 4 rows of J, so you might need to book early. Also deplaning was a bit of a pain having to deal with the econ pax at 2L.
CO1/2 currently has the 35/200 version twice a week, and will be reduced to once a week starting ~3/29.

CO72/73 currently has 35/200 version once a week, and will be going to all 20/236.

CO15/16 from EWR currently has 35/200 6 days a week, and will be going to daily.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by IronDuke08
I flew CO 1 last week to HNL. I really enjoyed the service and found all of the food to be pretty good, with the exception of the salmon canapé; I never eat fish on an airplane. The Ice Cream sundaes are a fun touch as well.

I like CO's 2-1-2 arrangement, although I wish they would have made it 2-2-1 for more aisle access. The 767-400ERs are great airplanes with the 5 abreast J cabin, you get the big 777 windows and overhead bins. Having lounge access should be mandatory for a premium ticket on an 8+ hour flight, and CO of course provides this. The seat itself was easy for me to sleep in because the leg rest actually raised pretty high. IFE is basic looped video, so nothing special.

I'd say it's worth trying. You might have some things about it you don't like about it, but I think it's a solid service.

I also think CO would benefit from a 1-2-2 or 2-2-1 arrangement on this particular aircraft type. With it, 4 passengers have easier access to the aisle vs. the current 3. Anyone know if CO has considered this type of configuration? On another note, CS F/A's always hold the coach passengers from row 16 onwards from deplaning UNTIL all passengers in the mini J/Y cabin have exited when using 2L. It's a nice touch and I wish CO F/A's would adopt it (I've yet to see it so pls share if it's been your experience).
Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:02 am
RNE

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
when i say "effective," i mean that there is a wealth of information already listed which could be used immediately. there isn't the time lag waiting for people to reply.
Yes, and in an ever-changing industry like this one, that wealth of information is quickly outdated. So, OP, you are right to ask us your question and get a fresh take on things. This is a forum, after all; it's not a library. Some folks don't know the difference.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
Yes, and in an ever-changing industry like this one, that wealth of information is quickly outdated. So, OP, you are right to ask us your question and get a fresh take on things. This is a forum, after all; it's not a library. Some folks don't know the difference.
Great Point! In fact it's such a good idea I think we should delete all threads older than 30 days from the archives, eliminate the FAQ and remove the search function. Then everyone can ask the same question over and over and over and over. And everyone can post the same replies over and over and over. but this way we will know it's the most current information possible.

If 30 days is too long, maybe we could reduce it to three hours. What fun! Then every piece of information will be the most cureent possible.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan
CO15/16 from EWR currently has 35/200 6 days a week, and will be going to daily.
Do you know what the rate of equipment swap from 35/200 to 20/236 has been on the the EWR flights recently?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you know what the rate of equipment swap from 35/200 to 20/236 has been on the the EWR flights recently?
I don't think they do many last minute swaps. It's been 35/200 for 6 days and then 20/236 for Sunday eastbound and Monday westbound for many many months.

I see that as a way for them to rotate the orphaned 20/236 that does EWR-MAD 6x weekly back to HNL. But with MAD ending 764, that's no longer necessarily. Having said that, my theory might be wrong, as it seems they'll have one 20/236 doing MXP daily soon.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I don't think they do many last minute swaps. It's been 35/200 for 6 days and then 20/236 for Sunday eastbound and Monday westbound for many many months.

I see that as a way for them to rotate the orphaned 20/236 that does EWR-MAD 6x weekly back to HNL. But with MAD ending 764, that's no longer necessarily. Having said that, my theory might be wrong, as it seems they'll have one 20/236 doing MXP daily soon.
Where does the 35/200 764 that does EWR-HNL come from? HNL?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:53 am
RNE

Originally Posted by gawhite411
Great Point! In fact it's such a good idea I think we should delete all threads older than 30 days from the archives, eliminate the FAQ...
Duh! Of course what I said is great. I said it.

There's no need to kill threads. Uninteresting ones die on their own. As for the FAQs, they are useful because they are updated and current. (Thank you, J.Edward, et al.) You're making my point, gawhite411, not refuting it.

The slurry of posts dredged up by the infamous search function is another matter. Results are often well past your sarcastic 30-day limit, or even years old and aren't worth the electrons they're written with, IMHO.

As for your attempt at sarcasm, please allow those of us with some talent to handle that. You have about 100 posts in 2 years. When you get to 1000, Grasshopper, then try some wit.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where does the 35/200 764 that does EWR-HNL come from? HNL?
Not 100% sure what you're asking, but...

In the current schedule, the Sunday night CO14 HNL-EWR is operated by the 20/236. [All other days, it's 35/200.] It arrives Monday morning at EWR, and then another 20/236 will return to HNL on CO15 at 1:20p.

As I mentioned, EWR-MAD is 6 days on the 20/236. During the week, this aircraft just goes back and forth between EWR and MAD. After it returns to EWR on CO63 Sunday afternoon, it does not operate the Sunday night CO62 to MAD. [Sunday night, they use a 35/200 for CO62 to MAD.] So, on Monday morning, there will be two 20/236s at EWR, which they can opt to switch the two, or they don't have to switch.

---

For the 35/200 versions, they have lots of planes in and out of EWR each day anyways, so each aircraft can rotate between HNL, AMS, BRU, GVA, etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.