Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Financial Times: Continental Paid Record $209 million for LHR Slots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC

Edit: Thread title should read $209 Million

Apologies is this has already been posted, ran a search but came up with nothing.

"Continental pays record for Heathrow slots
By Kevin Done, Aerospace Correspondent
Monday Mar 3 2008 14:55

Continental Airlines (NYSE:CAL) of the US has paid a record $209m for four pairs of take off and landing slots at London Heathrow airport.

The airline disclosed the price paid for its entry ticket to Heathrow in a filing to the US Securities and Exchange Commission and said it was seeking more slots at the airport...

...Continental Airlines said in its filing to the SEC that it had paid $116m for summer season slots at Heathrow and would pay a further $93m this year for slots in the next winter season..."

Seems like an awful lot of money for four Heathrow flights. I'd be curious to know what some of the other airlines (DL, NW, US...) have been paying for slots.

Last edited by coolbeans202; Mar 3, 2008 at 3:35 pm Reason: title
Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Was it worth it? With everyone going in Id expect fares to stay low. and with BA having a better Biz product and EOS and SilverJet still flying, I would think CO wasted their $$$
Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
That's a huge pile of money! WOW!
Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:52 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Seems like an awful lot of money for four Heathrow flights. I'd be curious to know what some of the other airlines (DL, NW, US...) have been paying for slots.
More interesting would be how much BA et al. paid for their slots.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
its a lot of money, and quite frankly I don't see the real value of Heathrow.
now that everyone can play in that pond, the price premium will seriously weaken.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 3:56 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 1:50 pm
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:00 pm
Suspended

that's a lot of passengers just to hit break-even.

having said that, they must have discounted cash flow (DCF) financial models that show that it was a worthy investment.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
It's a prestige thing, methinks. I have heard people ay that CO wants LHR, but I really can't justify ever going in there, IMHO. I don't see the value of the slots if there isn't a feeder airline to connect with -- especially with this price tag!
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son
At least it's refreshing to know that passengers aren't the only ones getting totally robbed by heathrow...
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Zeffer
At least it's refreshing to know that passengers aren't the only ones getting totally robbed by heathrow...
ROTFL

The only advantage I can see to LHR service is that there are onward connections on Skyteam carriers available. Since LHR isn't a hub for any Skyteam carriers I can't see that as being terribly valuable. Nonstop flights are available from the US to true Skyteam hubs, and onward flights from LHR to other cities will require transiting LHR and a hub.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by ralfp
More interesting would be how much BA et al. paid for their slots.
If they are part of the grandfathered slots, likely very little. If they resold some BMI slots, BA still did nicely. Back in '07, BA paid BMI 30M pounds for 51 slots per week. Although whether these were "prime time" ones is another question.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
After having read "Dirty Tricks", I would be surprised if BA were even utilizing the slots. If there's a way to not physically take off or land an aircraft and hold on to the slot, BA is likely using it.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:40 pm

But it's not just the connection possibilities: London is one of the, if not *the*, largest premium O&D markets in the world. There's plenty of money to be made, and fairly or not, LHR attracts a fare premium that LGW does not.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
After having read "Dirty Tricks", I would be surprised if BA were even utilizing the slots. If there's a way to not physically take off or land an aircraft and hold on to the slot, BA is likely using it.
You mean like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6441103.stm !!

March 07

The British Mediterranean Airways (BMed) round-trip flights between London's Heathrow and Cardiff International have been taking off six days a week since October.

They have not appeared on departure or arrival boards, none of the 124 tickets were sold and all passenger seats remained empty.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 5:58 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Jalinth
If they are part of the grandfathered slots, likely very little. If they resold some BMI slots, BA still did nicely. Back in '07, BA paid BMI 30M pounds for 51 slots per week. Although whether these were "prime time" ones is another question.
That's my point. BA gets the slots for free because they got them for free in the past. That's some fine logic there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.