Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW Charges CO Plats for seat assignments

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Platinum (8 years), Continental OnePass Platinum (6 years), Northwest WorldPerks Gold
NW Charges CO Plats for seat assignments

Maybe this has been discussed already, but I fly out of DTW and I just called NW to get seat assignment for upcoming flights and they want to CHARGE for coach seating.

Is this new? I called CO Plat desk and they confirmed that it's the new policy.

Come on now, this has to be a joke. Charging Sky Team Plus members to get a seat assignment in coach????
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
This doesn't sound right to me. I have an NW flight that I booked this past week, and have been able to select Elite seating, without a problem.

And this is what the NW website says about Coach Choice seats and Elites:

Q: Are there any benefits for WorldPerks Elite members?
A: Yes. WorldPerks Elite and SkyTeam Elite members can select Coach Choice seats free of charge on nwa.com or through a Northwest Self-service Check-in Kiosk 24 hours prior to departure.

Q: Are there still Premium Select Seats for Elite members?
A: Yes. Select Seats remain available to Elite members up to 90 days prior to departure, free of charge.

Q: Will passengers traveling in the same record as an Elite member be free of charge?
A: No. Only Elite members can select Coach Choice seats free of charge.
link

I would just cut out the folks on the phone. Go to nwa.com and look up your reservation. You should be able to add your OP number and it should recognize your status.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Platinum (8 years), Continental OnePass Platinum (6 years), Northwest WorldPerks Gold
I got it from NWA and CO directly.

Perhaps some of it is that the flights are 90 days out (although I have 5 reservations, 3 international booked with NW).

It's been clearly stated to me multiple times now. If I want a seat assignment, I have to pay for it.

The CO rep said this is a very recent change so I assume it's across the board. She also couldn't get a grip on it but did confirm it.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by krautsalad
Maybe this has been discussed already, but I fly out of DTW and I just called NW to get seat assignment for upcoming flights and they want to CHARGE for coach seating.

Is this new? I called CO Plat desk and they confirmed that it's the new policy.

Come on now, this has to be a joke. Charging Sky Team Plus members to get a seat assignment in coach????
This makes no sense. The only seats NW charges for are its 'Coach Choice' seats, and it won't let anyone select them until 24 hours before flight time. Even if the passenger is willing to pay. So unless you're within that 24 hour window, NW has no mechanism to charge you for them anyway.

If the only seats still unassigned in Y are Coach Choice seats, you simply can't get a seat assignment right now. Make sure your CO FF number is in your NW record. You'll probably get upgraded and all of this will become irrelevant. If not, you should be able to assign yourself the Coach Choice seats during OLCI at no charge.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Well, I agree it doesn't make sense, but I'm telling you what is being directly told to me by NWA and CO.

Best,

Marc
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Incidently, I've been flying at Plat for 8+ years and over 1,000 flights...so, I'm familiar with all the rules. But, this is legit albeit incredibly stupid.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Despite what the agents told you, have you tried pulling up the reservation on the NW website with your confirmation number, and assigning the seats there? I do this whenever I fly NW as a CO Platinum and it always has worked. I've flown NW a lot in the last 3 years and I have never called them about seats or adding my OnePass number to the reservation.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krautsalad
Perhaps some of it is that the flights are 90 days out (although I have 5 reservations, 3 international booked with NW).
Well, I would imagine that that is the reason for the charge. NW assigns seats for free at 90 days out. Maybe they are letting people pay for seat assignments before the 90 day window?

Like many others, I have never had problems getting seat assignments (within the 90 day window) as a CO Plat flying NW. I just confirmed this with an existing reservation.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
NW doesn't even load seatmaps until 90 days out, so couldn't assign the seat even if you did pay for it.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Based upon the NW 2008 Gold elite package they are starting to start a Call Center Agent Assistance fee for non-Golds/Plats (not sure if they will charge CO Elite's or not)

http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/elite/benefits.shtml

I believe this is an effort to push people to use nwa.com
Old Mar 2, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by socrates
Based upon the NW 2008 Gold elite package they are starting to start a Call Center Agent Assistance fee for non-Golds/Plats (not sure if they will charge CO Elite's or not)

http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/elite/benefits.shtml

I believe this is an effort to push people to use nwa.com
This sounds more likely than charging everyone to assign seats in general. Most likely if you go online with the reservation number you can assign anything except coach choice between 90 days and 24 hours out.

Even when I make reservations online with CO status I can't assign the premium seats until after I buy it because the NW system doesn't recognize my CO status until after I buy the ticket. If I go back in a few minutes later I can select any seat except the coach choice seats (which if I really wanted one I could get at OLCI for free)... needing a Coach choice seat has never been an issue since I'm always upgraded by then.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
It's the new Call Center fee for lower-than-NW-Golds who call to make seat assignments.

Note that you can do seat assignments for any NW-operated segments online at nwa.com. However the seat maps on nwa don't exist until 90 days out from the flight.

Also - NW and CO recognize each other's locator numbers, unlike most airline partners. So although your NW locator is not the same as your CO locator, entering your CO locator at nwa.com will bring up your NW locator.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
There might be a better page (this one is about award travel) but it describes the $15 Call Center Assistance Fee.

http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/travel...html#Ticketing

NW Plats and Golds are exempt, but, alas, this does not appear to be a reciprocal benefit to CO elites. Probably because CO does not have such a charge to be exempt from.

I'm not sure why anyone would call for seat assignments anyway, when they are so easily done on nwa.com.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:51 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
perhaps i'm missing something, but i flound the whole elite choice .... to be a real hassle. I used to fly NW SFO-DTW all the time (about 10-12 times per year), and then they stopped (dispite my CO Plat number) allowing me to get an isle seat. Given that I found ungrades hard to get, and that Isle seats (in fact anything before isle 89 ) to be not bookable unless I paid extra, I just said F--K this ...., and started flying UA via ORD. If NW wonders where I went, thats where. They wanted another $15 bucks, and lost my $1200 tickets.

All I can say is that NW makes UA look good.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by spin88
perhaps i'm missing something, but i flound the whole elite choice .... to be a real hassle. I used to fly NW SFO-DTW all the time (about 10-12 times per year), and then they stopped (dispite my CO Plat number) allowing me to get an isle seat. Given that I found ungrades hard to get, and that Isle seats (in fact anything before isle 89 ) to be not bookable unless I paid extra, I just said F--K this ...., and started flying UA via ORD. If NW wonders where I went, thats where. They wanted another $15 bucks, and lost my $1200 tickets.

All I can say is that NW makes UA look good.
You do realize both CO & NW Elites are excempt from Coach Choice fees right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.