NYC - Sydney (CO Codeshare)

Old Feb 25, 08, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO OnePass
NYC - Sydney (CO Codeshare)

Has anyone been able to grab a NYC-Sydney codeshare flight using points? I read that it is now 290,000 miles roundtrip but I can never find an open flight.
Old Feb 25, 08, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Welcome to FT
Its not really a codeshare. Its just a partner rewards. Many people here have
been able to get the QF reward via CO prior to the increase in miles.
You have to call when the partner desk opens and they will tell you what future date they are booking for. Its like 300 days in advance ( not sure exactly) Thats how i got my JFK-LAX-SYD.
other people get lucky and can get a ticket with less advance booking. It changes all the time.
also
I don't know if the inventory has been increased with the new level for redemption.
I do know that they will let you book your outbound and hold it for some time until you can call and boook the return segment .
Old Feb 25, 08, 4:59 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
Also, you need to be aware that you are competing with other US carriers FF programs for the same seat (AA, US, etc. etc.) as well as QF elites who can book at 365 days.
Old Feb 25, 08, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The easiest way to find availability is to sign up for the Qantas FF program. Once you have an account you can log in and search online for availability. Once you find it you can call in to book it. Also, search from the gateways (LAX/SFO) and worry about getting from NYC there later.
Old Feb 25, 08, 5:46 pm

Programs: CO Silver, Miles and More Silver
I tried to find dates via the QF website however, they would not be available when I called CO. I think most of those dates are for QF FF only.

The way I got my 2 J-Class txts were just to call early and then before closing and search every month to see if any reservations had cancelled, or if QF had opened up any new inventory.
Old Feb 26, 08, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Also, you need to be aware that you are competing with other US carriers FF programs for the same seat (AA, US, etc. etc.) as well as QF elites who can book at 365 days.
Qantas Frequent Flyers can see flights 355 days out. The rest of the world gets them at 330 days.

Originally Posted by COFan View Post
I tried to find dates via the QF website however, they would not be available when I called CO. I think most of those dates are for QF FF only.

The way I got my 2 J-Class txts were just to call early and then before closing and search every month to see if any reservations had cancelled, or if QF had opened up any new inventory.
This is strange. Where they in that window between 330 and 355 days? If yes, than this is your reason. If no, then they should be available though CO. In fact, I am almost certain that there are some seats on QF metal which you can only get with OnePass. Not even a QF Platinum will be able to grab them.
Old Feb 26, 08, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
Qantas Frequent Flyers can see flights 355 days out. The rest of the world gets them at 330 days.
For CO it's more like 340 days. For AA, yes, 330. It depends on the rules and the booking system of the program that is issuing the award.
Old Feb 27, 08, 2:53 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Actually QF is not 355 days, it is now 353 days. I am surprised that CO gets QF seats 340 days out. QF normally does not make them available to anyone else before 330 days.
Old Feb 27, 08, 7:56 am

Programs: CO Silver, Miles and More Silver
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
This is strange. Where they in that window between 330 and 355 days? If yes, than this is your reason. If no, then they should be available though CO. In fact, I am almost certain that there are some seats on QF metal which you can only get with OnePass. Not even a QF Platinum will be able to grab them.
The seats that I saw on QF were below 330 days out, but when I call the CO she could not find them, even though I was talking to her while loged in on the QF website.

But I still was able to eventually get seats so all is well that ends well.

Search this Thread