Wiki Posts
Search

Open Skies to Oz - Will CO bite?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2008, 4:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Open Skies to Oz - Will CO bite?

An open skies treaty was signed yesterday, allowing unlimited flights between the two countries. I guess now the grumblings from the last DO have a chance to come true.

Sure, CO needs the planes to make it happen which are 2-3 years away, but at least the regulators aren't going to get in the way once the planes show up.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 4:48 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Getting routed

Does this depend somewhat on the future of the UA/CO merger talks? Since UA already fly between the US and Australia, why would CO join in? As well, there's still a residual element of bad feeling in Australia - CO went bankrupt in the early nineties and they had a strong FF following at the time. Many people lost a lot of points, and they won't be supporting a return of CO. There's an element of anti-Star Alliance there too; when the domestic carrier Ansett, a *A partner, went bankrupt a few years ago there were many who lost huge numbers of points and who have vowed never to fly a *A carrier
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:01 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
CO already has rights to fly to Australia. CO used to fly about 5-6 flights a day to Australia from HNL. CO does not have the aircraft nor do they consider it a profitable route - too many vacationers and FF reward redemptions. CO as indicated that it takes a 744 class aircraft to complete in the US - Australia market and CO isn't buying any large aircraft of that size.

CO used to have a major hub at HNL and was the major US carrier to Australia. I agree bad memories - I do not see CO returning with any large presence, if at all.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure, CO needs the planes to make it happen which are 2-3 years away, but at least the regulators aren't going to get in the way once the planes show up.
I would think the planes are further than 2-3 years away, as the initial 787s seem already committed to supporting announced services. My guess is that we will see Oz when (and if) CO merges with UA. Otherwise, I think it will be pretty low on the list, behind much of Asia.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:26 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Wouldn't it be possible with a smaller Aircraft out of GUM?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Wouldn't it be possible with a smaller Aircraft out of GUM?
Its is possible out out GUM if CO wanted to do it. Right now they already serve one northern Australian city out of GUM with a 737.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:45 am
Original Poster

CO already flies GUM-CNS 2x weekly on a 738. And they do have the HNL authorities, but very few people want to stop in HNL on the way to Oz anymore.

At the same time, either Larry or Jeff mentioned it once or twice at the DO III back in September, so who knows.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Right now they don't have the aircraft. When the 787-9 comes along I think there is a decent shot at seeing this. Until then the chance is pretty close to zero. Of course, a lot of other things can happen in that timeframe.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Even a 787 might be load-restricted...I recall another thread where this came up, and I got interested to the point that I looked up 787 range (from Wikipedia) and the Great Circle IAH-SYD. The posted difference is 96 miles from the max of the 787. Granted, the mapper isn't official and range is subjective unless you're the one on the aircraft, but there it is to be seen.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Even a 787 might be load-restricted...I recall another thread where this came up, and I got interested to the point that I looked up 787 range (from Wikipedia) and the Great Circle IAH-SYD. The posted difference is 96 miles from the max of the 787. Granted, the mapper isn't official and range is subjective unless you're the one on the aircraft, but there it is to be seen.
That option also cuts through a dead zone in ETOPS 180, which is what all the other CO ETOPS planes are rated at. That means CO would either need a higher ETOPS rating, which often comes at the expense of range IIRC, or they would have to deviate from the GC route, making that 96 miles indespensible.

I guess we do need CO to buy AS and then use the SEA hub for that flight, as it is well within range and also avoids the dead zone
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Unfortunately, I don't see any additional service happening on CO...ever.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Short term, only if they painted the United 744s in the CO livery. Long Term, maybe 787-9 service but that is a long way off.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
There was a blurb in today's Houston Chronicle about the new agreement and it said that CO said that they have no immediate plans to go to Australia.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sbm12
That option also cuts through a dead zone in ETOPS 180, which is what all the other CO ETOPS planes are rated at. That means CO would either need a higher ETOPS rating, which often comes at the expense of range IIRC, or they would have to deviate from the GC route, making that 96 miles indespensible.
The 787-9 is listed as having a range of 8,000 – 8,500 NM. If you go back to the Great Circle Mapper and use nautical miles instead of statute miles you'll see that the distance of an IAH-SYD flight is 7470 nm. The path does cut through the corner of one of the Pacific ETOPS180 holes, but the aircraft range has a lot more than 96 miles of leeway.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 4:03 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by cova
CO already has rights to fly to Australia. CO used to fly about 5-6 flights a day to Australia from HNL.
5-6 A DAY? Wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.