Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any method to ensure you have a competent reservation agent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Question Any method to ensure you have a competent reservation agent?

Trying to find out if anyone has a method to get to a knowledgable agent when calling in on the reservation line. Here's my reason for asking:

I was searching awards on CO.com and saw an award available on Skyteam partners. I immediately called reservations to ask them to swap out the return of my current award reservation for this available return (original return just grabbed to snag my outbound).

I called the Plat elite number, which seems to me to be nothing more then a separate number which routes you to 'regular' agents with maybe some type of priority flag in the queue. I told the agent the dates, flights, available on Co.com, etc, and after apparently trying whatever, he claimed that he couldn't book it because he couldn't get the itinerary "to price". He indicated that this meant that it wasn't available. When asked why the website showed available, he indicated that the website hadn't updated yet. (All this time on the phone I re-did the search several times from scratch and the itinerary continued to show available). He indicated more or less that the available inventory only updates at set intervals and is not real-time. I had no choice but to accept his explanation.

So, about eight hours later, after a day of meetings, I do my query again on Co.com. The desired intinerary is still there. I grab an available outbound with my desired return and purchase to see if it comes through. Bang - confirmed and, sometime within the next hour, I get the confirmed e-mail from CO re: the award.

So, there seems to be some incompetency on this agents part. And, what I need to know is does anyone have a way to get a competent agent when they call the Plat line? Is there a special desk I should ask for (for instance, when calling Hilton HHonors diamond desk, you may get routed to a 'regular' agent if no Diamond agents are available, but can always request to be sent to the Diamond desk ans it's the same with US Chairman's line).

Help!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Tits, HH Diamond, Hertz Plat
I have had the same issues...yesterday as a matter of fact.

When the elite line queue is "full" and you call in it will ring over to the regular agents so you don't wait as long. I've learned to make sure and ask them if this is the elite line or the regular res agents, and to transfer me to the elite desk if it's not.

This has resulted in better service, and more often than not, if you tell them how "wonderful" the service is on the elite line over the regular agents, they will waive the booking fees, etc.

Hope this helps!!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by littlejt1
... I've learned to make sure and ask them if this is the elite line or the regular res agents, and to transfer me to the elite desk if it's not....
Your experience is rare - the usual answer is 'yes' (a lie) or 'I can help you here' (I won't or don't know how to transfer the call). It's very rare I get a general agent who is willing to admit they're not the Elite desk or transfer the call if I request it.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:47 pm

there was a girl group that had a song that went something like this....

"if first you dont succeed..... pick yourself up and try again."

if you are not happy with the result, or feel you will get no where, just hang up and call back. it may take a few times, but it works. i once got the same agent two times in a row. hung up the second she started speaking.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 7:43 am

Location: Cleveland, Ohio. I answer any question about Cleveland
Programs: I'm nobody
Competent

If they agree with you they are competent and if they don't then they are incompetent. Everybody knows that.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Depends on what I'm doing.

For run of the mill stuff on CO flights, Elite desk is better. For things like booking awards to exotic places on less frequently-use dpartners, like Emirates, the non-Elite Reward Desk agents come out ahead.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
the non-Elite Reward Desk agents come out ahead.
The Partner Award Desk is fantastic. Probably the best-trained group in all of CO.

Downside is they're only open business hours (or a little better than business hours). If you can use them, you will not be disappointed. ^
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum
I have found that when I call and they say, "I have your itinerary in front of me now. How can I help you?" they are competent.

This must be a sytem where they recognize my phone number on file and see my record rtight away. If they start out by asking me what my confirmation number is, then I know it is usually going to be a call that requires more back and forth of what I need to happen.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:54 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Dial 1-800-I-FLY-SWA
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:45 pm

Programs: Premier 1K, 1 mm
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Your experience is rare - the usual answer is 'yes' (a lie) or 'I can help you here' (I won't or don't know how to transfer the call). It's very rare I get a general agent who is willing to admit they're not the Elite desk or transfer the call if I request it.
My experience has been different from yours. First, I rarely get an Elite agent on my initial call; however, when I ask if "this is the Elite desk", I have ALWAYS been transferred to the Elite desk without further question.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jsmcnabb
My experience has been different from yours. First, I rarely get an Elite agent on my initial call; however, when I ask if "this is the Elite desk", I have ALWAYS been transferred to the Elite desk without further question.
Does anyone know what they call the 'elite desk' internally?

We call it that, but it seems to me that a particular call center would have a set amount of agents who make up the 'elite desk' and that they probably call those agents something else.

Maybe if we used the insider terminology we would all have no issues (like you) when being asked to be transferred to the... "?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.