Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Intl Economy plus being looked at; CRJs phasing out, juicy Q4 conf call

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intl Economy plus being looked at; CRJs phasing out, juicy Q4 conf call

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I would regularly shell out $1,000 for TATL Y+ travel on CO, if the bar were set at least as high as BA/VS. I'd shell out $1,250, without thinking twice, if the bar were set as high as BD's new Y+ product.
I think $1,000 is about right, provided that it is not the West Coast. I will not pay a premium if it includes a 6-hour flight in regular domestic economy as part of the deal. I would just fly BA or VS to the West Coast. Can't comment on the $1,250, as I haven't personally tried BD's product.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Did you miss the last bit of the Q4 earnings conference call? Even if CO introduces PE and/or increases Y pitch, they will retain one seat on each long-haul aircraft having 31" of pitch, located behind the stink shield. Now, they didn't specifically say who they were keeping that one for, but methinks they may have made a notation in your file
Excellent!

Silly me! How could I have possibly have missed that bit?

As I have never actually flown in seat 29D in a 738 and since I heard from our friend rkkwan that they are removing this row of seats, this would be my one chance to partake of this time-honored CO tradition...
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
As I have never actually flown in seat 29D in a 738 and since I heard from our friend rkkwan that they are removing this row of seats, this would be my one chance to partake of this time-honored CO tradition...
I thought that they were moving the lav and adding 29ABC in its place, not removing row 29. They're adding seats to the 738 not removing them, I thought.

Also, for everyone debating the fares for PE, remember that the numbers are all one way, not round trip. At least they were when I posted them
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
I thought that they were moving the lav and adding 29ABC in its place, not removing row 29. They're adding seats to the 738 not removing them, I thought.

Also, for everyone debating the fares for PE, remember that the numbers are all one way, not round trip. At least they were when I posted them
You are, of course, right about the lav being moved, not the row, but the net effect is still no stink shield required...
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
You were talking averages - I was talking about a range of prices. As an example you're talking about an average coach cost of $520 one way, ie $1040 round trip, but how many of us expect off-season fares IAH-LGW to be closer to $600 round trip with a decent advance purchase?

Based on this you're looking to price PE on this route in the $2,000 range. If CO really believes a PE seat is worth anything close to 50% of the BF fare on this route for the same restrictions, I suspect they'll end up with a lot of empty seats. IMO the cost has to be closer to Y than J.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
If you want to sit in PE, you pay the associated co-pay as if you were trying to upgrade to BF.

If you also want to sit in BF, you can part with the extra miles.
Have you ever tried to upgrade on CO with miles... without being waitlisted? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bernardd
You were talking averages - I was talking about a range of prices. As an example you're talking about an average coach cost of $520 one way, ie $1040 round trip, but how many of us expect off-season fares IAH-LGW to be closer to $600 round trip with a decent advance purchase?

Based on this you're looking to price PE on this route in the $2,000 range. If CO really believes a PE seat is worth anything close to 50% of the BF fare on this route for the same restrictions, I suspect they'll end up with a lot of empty seats. IMO the cost has to be closer to Y than J.
Sure, averages. Still, someone has to pay the "full" price if you are going to get to pay the discount price. And there are seasonal variations as well. Still, based on the CASM and the reduced number of seats there has to be a certain amount of extra revenue that the PE section drives, and the number is not insignificant. For everyone on here to say that they'd pay $1000 for the PE and think that they are getting a R/T fare doesn't help the discussion of whether this is actually viable or not.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Gold, Avis First, HH Silver
Also to keep in mind: This strategy for BF and Y+ by definition means for CO to be profitable, there will still be further reduced possibility of getting seats with miles, and may force CO to follow DL's lead and reduce your ability to get seats even at the SaverPass level. CO's RM is very effective, and having to derive more profit from fewer seats means RM will pull the strings even tighter. That means further diluting OP, which means they'll have to be creative in returning non-flight benefits to customers.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:11 pm

Still, based on the CASM and the reduced number of seats there has to be a certain amount of extra revenue that the PE section drives, and the number is not insignificant.
Sure. As I pointed out the average price has to come out 40-50% higher to break even.

Lets put some number on it though. At present both BA & CO will seel you a round trip IAH-LGW-IAH in Feb/Mar for $448 + $144 tax = $592.

BA will sell you a WT+ (ie PE) fare at $798 + $227 tax = $1025, ie about a 60% hike over coach. If they tried to price that at $2,000 round trip I'd almost certainly take coach, or I'd think about a CO R fare or a BA I fare and try to work round the long purchase requirement. PE isn't worth much more of a premium than they're getting, though it's actually a good deal for them since $798/$448 is a 78% premium which is quite a bit higher than the break even requirement.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lemurs
Also to keep in mind: This strategy for BF and Y+ by definition means for CO to be profitable, there will still be further reduced possibility of getting seats with miles, and may force CO to follow DL's lead and reduce your ability to get seats even at the SaverPass level. CO's RM is very effective, and having to derive more profit from fewer seats means RM will pull the strings even tighter. That means further diluting OP, which means they'll have to be creative in returning non-flight benefits to customers.

I can't speak for CO but my experience with BA compared to AA is I was always waitlisted for upgrades on AA, and scored way less then 100%. On BA I've got every one I asked for at the time of asking. Maybe I've just been lucky and there's a nasty surprise around the corner....

Another interesting thing is a one way upgrade DFW-LON on AA is 25,000 + co-pay, while the round trip earned me ~21,000 miles.

On BA the one-way upgrade is 12,500 miles with no co-pay and I earn over 14,000.

If CO go for a PE cabin they may well structure this differently.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA MM
A 40% premium is, I suspect, too high. At least it would be for me. In order for Y+ to be worth 40% more $, it would have to be pretty damn nice.

But if it was that really really nice at 40% over coach, then I imagine it would cannibalize some of the thriftier-minded BusinessFirst passengers.

Although, I suppose, they could use a few tricks to induce you upgraders (I don't buy upgrades) to go for it, like manipulating the miles / $ upgrade path from Y+ to J, or even offering the odd space-available free plat upgrades from Y+ to J (buy a Y+ ticket and then pray BF doesn't sell out).

Anyway, I think that in order to be successful and not too posh to hurt BF sales, Y+ has got to be a bit more modest - the premium for Y+ needs to be something on the order of 15% - 25%.

On the plus side, a couple of TATL or transpac Y to Y+ upgrade certificates in the annual platinum requalification pack would make me very happy.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
If CO cannot get enough people to pay a 40% premium for PE over coach, then they will not introduce PE, period.

Like others have calculated, 8-abreast 38" takes up 40% more room than 9-abreast 31".

Clearly, the majority of passengers will not pay that premium, even though 100% of them complain about the lack of room in coach.

But that doesn't mean they can't do 2-3 rows of PE. Like QF on its A380, only about 3 rows of PE in that 400+ seat double decker.

I think a 40% premium is very reasonable. Plenty of people are willing to pay $1,300 on EVA's Evergreen Deluxe/Elite Class to Asia, compared to $900 in coach, for example. In fact, ED/EC often sells out before coach.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jan 18, 2008 at 3:04 pm
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by rkkwan

I think a 40% premium is very reasonable. Plenty of people are willing to pay $1,300 on EVA's Evergreen Deluxe/Elite Class to Asia, compared to $900 in coach, for example. In fact, ED/EC only sells out before coach.
i would pay the premium for anything scheduled for 6:30 hrs and over
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think a 40% premium is very reasonable. Plenty of people are willing to pay $1,300 on EVA's Evergreen Deluxe/Elite Class to Asia, compared to $900 in coach, for example. In fact, ED/EC only sells out before coach.
The metrics are a little different (less competition) but NZ charges a 100% premium for its PE.

On its 777, PE consists of only two rows and always sells out before Y, but this can be attributed to the scarcity of supply as much as the price point.

On its 744's, though, there are 39 seats of PE and they sell out consistently before Y as well.

The point is, there is demonstrably a demand for PE, especially so if your Y has 31" seat pitch.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:11 pm

If CO cannot get enough people to pay a 40% premium for PE over coach, then they will not introduce PE, period.

Like others have calculated, 8-abreast 38" takes up 40% more room than 9-abreast 31".
Minor quibble...

Keep in mind that it actually does cost something to fly a person and their luggage. Assume you replace 11x9 = 99 seats with 9x8 = 72 seats. Looking just at revenue, you need to charge 37.5% more from those 72 folks to break even. But if you look at profit, the breakeven point is somewhat less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.