Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Nation's 8 most-frequently delayed flights all involve New York area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Plat, NW - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Plat.

(Source: USA Today Jan 4, 08)
Of the nation's eight most-frequently delayed flights, all involved a New York City airport and half involved a flight flying under the Continental logo. Continental affiliate ExpressJet Flight 2979 was the most-frequently delayed flight in November, the latest month for which federal data is available. Flight 2979 from Hartford to Newark Liberty arrived on time just 11.54% of the time in November, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

Rounding out the month's most-frequently delayed flights were: Continental Flight 1532 from Houston Bush to New York LaGuardia (on-time 12.5% of the time); Continental affiliate ExpressJet Flight 2076 from Newark Liberty to Indianapolis (14.81%); United affiliate Mesa Flight 7462 from Washington Dulles to New York LaGuardia (14.81%); American Flight 350 from Chicago O'Hare to New York LaGuardia (16.67%); American Flight 1497 from Newark Liberty to Chicago O'Hare (16.67%); and Continental affiliate ExpressJet Flight 2717 from Newark Liberty to St. Louis (16.67%).

That all eight of the nation's most-frequently delayed flights involved a New York City-area airport should not come as a big surprise. Among the 32 biggest airports, New York LaGuardia ranked last for on-time arrivals (53.5% arrived on time). Newark Liberty ranked 31st out of the 32 with a 60.9% on-time rating. And New York JFK ranked 29th of the 32 biggest airports in November with a 73.4% on-time rating. At the other end of the spectrum, Salt Lake City led all airports with an 88.5% on-time rating. Tampa (86.2%), Orlando (85.6%) and Chicago Midway (85.3%) all also each had more than 85% of their flights arrive on time in November, according to USA TODAY.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
No surprise there.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:17 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
With an on-time rate below 20%, you'd think CO would rework the schedule to change the meaning of the word "on-time".

My opinion is that if a flight or route has been "delayed" more than some percentage of the time (say 50%) in the previous month, an airline should not be allowed to claim a "weather" delay until the on-time percentage improves.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ralfp
With an on-time rate below 20%, you'd think CO would rework the schedule to change the meaning of the word "on-time".

My opinion is that if a flight or route has been "delayed" more than some percentage of the time (say 50%) in the previous month, an airline should not be allowed to claim a "weather" delay until the on-time percentage improves.
On a couple of flights out of Boston that were delayed I watched the CO employees simply change the time that the flight was going to leave and keep the "On Time" text the same
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:00 pm

Programs: CO-Gold, various hotel
Originally Posted by ralfp

Boy, that would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath for it :-)

I know I won't take the afternoon ExpressJet MHT-EWR unless I have a long layover or its the weekend - it also has a terrible on-time rating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.