Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BusinessFirst to Bombay super special?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
that's a good one?

can't really say as i haven't been to bombay. when i travel to europe, there are pretty good rations in the airport. i haven't been to india.....
Hah! For that to be true in Bombay, or any other airport in India, is wishful thinking ... you're lucky if there is a roof on the airport, paint on the walls, semi-orderly security, and anything less than total chaos inside the airport. BOM is one of the few to have a handful of jetways. Most Indian airports have little to no duty-free shopping or restaurants, and what few shops and restaurants there are (and lounges) are of Fifth World quality.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Would love to find a sub 3000 dollar fare in business class to fly india.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Even if your IAH-EWR upgrade doesn't clear, you can still use the PC at IAH. And of course at EWR.
The upgrade just cleared! OMG I am dancing a little jig at the prospect of flying F the whole way through! Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
Hah! For that to be true in Bombay, or any other airport in India, is wishful thinking ... you're lucky if there is a roof on the airport, paint on the walls, semi-orderly security, and anything less than total chaos inside the airport. BOM is one of the few to have a handful of jetways. Most Indian airports have little to no duty-free shopping or restaurants, and what few shops and restaurants there are (and lounges) are of Fifth World quality.
I have to spend the night at the BOM airport as I land at 8:40 p.m. and my next flight to Goa does not leave until 5:20 a.m. I would get a hotel but I don't think it would be worth the time and energy to haul all my stuff in and out of the airport and hotel just for a few hours (after I clear customs). Also, I can't sleep when there is the pressure of having to get up in a couple of hours to catch a flight. I am already freaked about having to spend those hours at the BOM airport because from what I recall, when I went there in the mid 90's, it was terrible. Any experience with hanging out at BOM airports? Thanks!!
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by LightUponLight
The upgrade just cleared! OMG I am dancing a little jig at the prospect of flying F the whole way through! Thanks!
Very good news!

And not to be too pedantic, but the EWR-BOM flight is in J, not F. Trust me, there is no comparison between genuine international F (like you get on BA or and many other foreign carriers) and CO's BF product. This isn't to say that F is worth the premium it usually commands over J (I don't think it is), but the difference is substantial to some.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by LightUponLight
I have to spend the night at the BOM airport as I land at 8:40 p.m. and my next flight to Goa does not leave until 5:20 a.m. I would get a hotel but I don't think it would be worth the time and energy to haul all my stuff in and out of the airport and hotel just for a few hours (after I clear customs). Also, I can't sleep when there is the pressure of having to get up in a couple of hours to catch a flight. I am already freaked about having to spend those hours at the BOM airport because from what I recall, when I went there in the mid 90's, it was terrible. Any experience with hanging out at BOM airports? Thanks!!
Your experience here will depend upon which airline you are connecting to.
Note that the "domestic" terminal and the "international" terminal are, for all practical purposes, two separate airports that share common runways and are a 20 minute drive from each other!! Then, to add to the confusion, various domestic airlines operate out of two separate unconnected terminals (unconnected - last I checked - that said, the airports are under new management now and things might have changed in the last 6 months....anyone else with more/better info????)

If you are connecting to Jet Airways or Kingfisher, they have a pretty good courtesey shuttle, with baggage check in immediately after you get out of customs at the international terminal. If it is Indian Airlines, service ranges from spotty to horrible.

However, the domestic airports are dumps - although in this case, the Indian airlines one is better than the Jet Airways one (don't know if Kingfisher is still in the Indian Airlines terminal or Jet terminal - when I flew it 3 months ago it was operating "temporarily" out of the Indian airlines terminal, nor do I know where other airlines in India operate out of amongst the two domestic terminals)- no decent food (there might be one restaurant inside that MIGHT be open) and nothing else is open. Seats are usually overfull - with other people who are connecting from international to domestic flights.

I would go get a room in one of the airport hotels........but the better ones tend to be expensive........
Old Oct 12, 2007, 8:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
two separate airports that share common runways and are a 20 minute drive from each other!!

but the better ones tend to be expensive........
1) that must be one heck of a taxi to the runway if the airports are 20 minutes apart.

2) isn't that always the case?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
1) that must be one heck of a taxi to the runway if the airports are 20 minutes apart.

2) isn't that always the case?
Taxiing to the far end of the runway is always taxing - but that said, the shuttles in BOM actually go out through the city streets from international to domestic (and vice versa) - and hence need to drive a much longer distance than the taxiing length (add to it traffic, traffic lights, etc......)

Cost of the hotel: Thanks, I should have said "decent ones are expensive"
Old Oct 12, 2007, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
need to drive a much longer distance than the taxiing length (add to it traffic, traffic lights, etc......)
true, but planes taxi at very slow speeds. shuttles/cabs/cars drive much faster.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
true, but planes taxi at very slow speeds. shuttles/cabs/cars drive much faster.
Not in India and on Indian streets.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:08 am
Suspended

Malpensa is an utter disaster as well. Probably the worst airport i've been to.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by boxinbull
Malpensa is an utter disaster as well. Probably the worst airport i've been to.
Then you haven't traveled much in South America.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Then you haven't traveled much in South America.
Agreed. BOG is one of the most crowded airports in the world at its peak times. MEX can be pretty overwhelming...

How about CDG Terminal 1? When crowded, LGB is pretty awful. I'm not a big fan of ATL either...
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
SVO domestic and international are the same. It's just a circuituous trip around the runway.

Another example of a similar syndrome is taking a cab to the Mandalay Bay Hotel from LAS. The Mandalay Bay is by the edge of runway 1L-19R, but it's a 15 minute cab ride from the terminal that will easily set you back $15...
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
SVO
starwood vacation ownership?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.