Wiki Posts
Search

Voucher extention?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Voucher extention?

Hello,

I have a certificate with Pin # for approx $600 expiring this month. I guess I can use it to travel on any CO flight but it has to be ticketed before it expires in a few days.

All is good, except I do not have definite travel plans as yet.

So can I purchase a fully refundable ticket with that voucher for say a travel date 6 months from now. And in the meantime, when my travel plans firm up, cancel the fully refundable ticket and use that credit for my travels.

Will that work? Is that legit?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by zoonil
Hello,

I have a certificate with Pin # for approx $600 expiring this month. I guess I can use it to travel on any CO flight but it has to be ticketed before it expires in a few days.

All is good, except I do not have definite travel plans as yet.

So can I purchase a fully refundable ticket with that voucher for say a travel date 6 months from now. And in the meantime, when my travel plans firm up, cancel the fully refundable ticket and use that credit for my travels.

Will that work? Is that legit?
I'm trying to do the same thing with my UA voucher that expires at the end of the month.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I had an ECV, I booked a trip on co.com with the help of tech support, then cancelled within 24 hours, also with tech support since it wouldnt cancel online, voila, the ECV was in my mailbox 2 weeks later with a new PIN number
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:06 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
I think this belongs here.

I have 2 vouchers, which are partial credits for non-refundable fares that were changed. The expiration date is next week but I do not have any plans for next year for which I am prepared to use the vouchers.

1. Can I do as described above: buy a refundable fare for the future, then call and ask for a refund to the voucher, thus extending the date of the voucher? If so is this legal/above ground/guaranteed to work?

2. Can an individual voucher be used only for the named individual? The terms say that positive ID may be required, but it does not say that it is non-transferable or that it is only usable by the named individual. I only want to do what is legal.

thanks ^
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by psychtobe
I think this belongs here.

I have 2 vouchers, which are partial credits for non-refundable fares that were changed. The expiration date is next week but I do not have any plans for next year for which I am prepared to use the vouchers.

1. Can I do as described above: buy a refundable fare for the future, then call and ask for a refund to the voucher, thus extending the date of the voucher? If so is this legal/above ground/guaranteed to work?

2. Can an individual voucher be used only for the named individual? The terms say that positive ID may be required, but it does not say that it is non-transferable or that it is only usable by the named individual. I only want to do what is legal.

thanks ^
bump for a little help...
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:50 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Vouchers can be used for anyone, as long as you have the PIN.
They do have residual value but can not be combined (unlike Delta).

So if you will need to book as many tickets/itins as you have vouchers.

Try Coupon Connection if you don't want to mess with the voucher(s)
However, with a short maturity date, you'll likely not get much in the way of offers.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:46 am

Billiken, thanks, and you have PM.

So I could use my 2 vouchers, buy a refundable fare, then refund it and have 'extended life' on the vouchers? It's not that I don't wan to/can't use them; I'm just not quite ready to commit to a trip before 12/31.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.