Wiki Posts
Search

LGW Restrictions on carry on Bag size

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAAdvantage, Delta
LGW Restrictions on carry on Bag size

Am flying to LGW from IAH next month in BF. I notice that carry on size for Continental is 51" except for UK when it is 45". Has anyone had problems with size of carry on's? Do they have size restrictors on the Xray machines at security, and do BF/Elite lines have a better chance of a larger bag. Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Unless you're very lucky and you get a security agent who's in an unusually good mood, you have zero chance of getting away with anything larger. This is not policed by CO but by the BAA staff manning the security checkpoint, so they don't care what class / airline you're flying on. Plus you can have exactly ONE bag at the most - not one bag plus personal item like you would in the US. Everything has to fit into the single bag, and the single bag has to be within the published size limits.

Details are available on this page:

http://www.gatwickairport.com/portal...0357e120a____/

There are rumours that the one-bag limit may be phased out soon, and there's a pilot going on in one of the LHR terminals at the moment, but for now it still stands.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It may be helpful to read the actual LGW regulations, because the current BAA rule is 22 + 17.7 + 10 = 49.7 inches.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/portal...0357e120a____/
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by star_world
Plus you can have exactly ONE bag at the most
From multiple personal experiences, this is strictly adhered too. Even a lady's purse counts as a bag, so my wife has learned to keep space in her backpack to stuff the purse in. In January we were even forced to return to the CO checkin desk as my 1 year old's stroller was considered to be a bag and we had to make a decision on what to bring on board - her diaper bag or the stroller. With all 4 of us in BF, it looks like being in BF makes no difference at all. We didn't see any bag size restrictors on the X ray machines.

Last edited by familyflier; Jul 23, 2007 at 11:41 am Reason: spell check
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If your bag doesn't fit completely into the wooden sizer you will be checking it. That includes even small things like not fitting because a zipper pull is sticking out too far. Continental has no say in any of this.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by familyflier
looks like being in BF makes no difference at all..
Correct. The rationaile for the rule is to control the workload at the security screening points, there is no distinction based on class of service. (I am not expressing any opinion on whether the rule accomplishes this purpose, merely explaining the original context.)
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:25 am

Even aircrew have to comply with this rule. We generally have our one piece of personal luggage, plus our flight publications kit bag. They considered that to be two items, so we were required to check our luggage as well. They've since eased that a bit, and we can now carry one bag + our flight publications.

Last week I had two bags of liquids/lotions..... She told me I could only have one. Stuffed one bag inside the other and off I went.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.