Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Biz First vs Upper Class..CO better think twice before going to LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biz First vs Upper Class..CO better think twice before going to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by senatorgirth
Chicago has the Blue Line with regular frequencies from O'Hare into the heart of downtown. The ride is c. 45 min. due to many stops along the way, but at peak hours this is not much slower--and possibly even faster--than a car on the Kennedy. And at a fare under $2.00, the price of the L can't be beat.
BART from SFO isn't bad, the EWR & JFK AirTrains are not bad at all, ATL has a MARTA stop right in the terminal, the train to Cointrin-GVA is excellent, as is the the train to BRU Zaventem, not to mention the TGV right out of CDG...
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by kirker
If we're talking the most convenient US airport in terms of public transport, however, DCA gets my vote hands down.
I agree.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
BART from SFO isn't bad, the EWR & JFK AirTrains are not bad at all, ATL has a MARTA stop right in the terminal, the train to Cointrin-GVA is excellent, as is the the train to BRU Zaventem, not to mention the TGV right out of CDG...
BART is only convenient if you are staying somewhere in or near the financial district and/or Market Street. Otherwise, you have to alight and take a cab to whatever neighborhood in which you are staying. In fact, even if you are staying in the financial district, you may have to take a cab to the hotel due to distance and hills. Nob Hill is a good example.

With respect to other cities, CDG, BRU, GVA, FRA (to some extent), MXP (to some extent), ORD, and AMS all get high marks from me for convenient train connections.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO 1E
BART is only convenient if you are staying somewhere in or near the financial district and/or Market Street. Otherwise, you have to alight and take a cab to whatever neighborhood in which you are staying. In fact, even if you are staying in the financial district, you may have to take a cab to the hotel due to distance and hills. Nob Hill is a good example.

With respect to other cities, CDG, BRU, GVA, FRA (to some extent), MXP (to some extent), ORD, and AMS all get high marks from me for convenient train connections.
I use BART to go visit my brother in Berkeley and in-laws in Walnut Creek. They pick me up when I get to their respective stations.

But, yes, BART is really a regional railroad like Metro North, not a true subway service. Still, taking BART is a huge improvement over battling Hwy 101 or Bay Bridge traffic.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I use BART to go visit my brother in Berkeley and in-laws in Walnut Creek. They pick me up when I get to their respective stations.

But, yes, BART is really a regional railroad like Metro North, not a true subway service. Still, taking BART is a huge improvement over battling Hwy 101 or Bay Bridge traffic.
BART definitely is convenient for traveling from SFO-land to the Eastbay, especially during peak traffic times.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
BOS has both shuttle bus to the subway and the bus/tram Silver Line with direct terminal pickups. Not super convenient, but not awful. MSP also has light rail.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
You can do ITCI for CO flights now in Hong Kong. Started a few months ago, though I'm not sure exactly when.
^ Good news. For some reason I've only ever flown CO to HKG, I always seem to end up on CX back...

Originally Posted by pbarnette
The HEX is the biggest scam going. Unless you live/work near Paddington, it is pretty much a waste of money.
Agreed, it's not a good time-value option vs the Tube. But if I'm on business and not taking advantage of the VS chauffeur service, I'd probably do HEX to Taxi, it's certainly more comfortable than the Tube.

As for other cities with decent public transit links to downtown:

OSL, CPH, and AMS all have trains that leave directly from the terminal, with minimal walking and very good frequency.
I left OSL off my list because (1) I remember the express train being pretty expensive and (2) it isn't really a "major international airport" per kirker's post. But it was a nice and quick ride through the snow-covered countryside (in March)!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I left OSL off my list because (1) I remember the express train being pretty expensive and
Well, it is Oslo (recently ranked the most expensive city in the world according to one source), so while I empathize, I would consider it reasonable compared to overall costs in that city.

(2) it isn't really a "major international airport" per kirker's post. But it was a nice and quick ride through the snow-covered countryside (in March)!
Fair enough, I was just throwing out public transit links I had taken during the past month or so.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:28 am

back on the original topic, if you are just going NY-London-NY the number of VS flight options make it a no brainer for me. You can spend most of a full day in London before catching an evening flight back whereas CO jams their flights into a 2 hr window.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toby182
back on the original topic, if you are just going NY-London-NY the number of VS flight options make it a no brainer for me. You can spend most of a full day in London before catching an evening flight back whereas CO jams their flights into a 2 hr window.
Agreed -- but VS has a big hole in their schedule ex-LHR -- I don't think there's anything between 9am and 2pm, IIRC. And the 9am flight requires a 6am limo pickup! The hole is filled in with the CO codeshares out of LGW. Which doesn't help me since my corporate fare is for VS metal only.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed -- but VS has a big hole in their schedule ex-LHR -- I don't think there's anything between 9am and 2pm, IIRC. And the 9am flight requires a 6am limo pickup! The hole is filled in with the CO codeshares out of LGW. Which doesn't help me since my corporate fare is for VS metal only.
That is correct; there are no VS flights to JFK/EWR between 9:30 and 2:00 p.m. It would be nice if there were a 12:00 or 12:30 flight to fill the gap.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat Elite, Continental Gold, bmi Silver, SPG Plat, HiltonDiamond
I think the Virgin staff are underpaid and/or poorly managed. The food is better on CO and I really like the 777 BizFirst seat.[/QUOTE]

You must be joking! There is no comparison between Upper Class and Biz First in terms of seat, service or anything else. I'll take Virgin any day.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Houston Cowboy
You must be joking! There is no comparison between Upper Class and Biz First in terms of seat, service or anything else. I'll take Virgin any day.
No, sir. You must be joking. There is plenty of comparison between the two. Have you read any of this thread?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, sir. You must be joking. There is plenty of comparison between the two. Have you read any of this thread?
De gustibus non disputatum est...in matters of taste there is no dispute...

You like it and he doesn't...let's just be happy we have a choice.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 12:33 pm

Just a few points.
I have flown Continental BF and Virgins Upper class. Both have pros and cons going for them.
the big one for me is the Clubhouses compared to the truly awful Presidents Clubs.

I am 6ft 1in and have nver had a problem with either seats in seat mode. I wish that Virgin had continued with the ottoman being able to move just that little bit more so my feet don't sit on the end.
However, on flights from the USA back to blighty, VS wins hands down as I can actually get some sleep compared to the fitful uncomfortable BF seat. As I have a four hour drive back home that really makes a difference.

If Cont and BA had decent clubhouses, then the choice would be a lot harder.

On my trips to florida, I can actually get the best of both worlds, as the flights are VS Continental code shares and for some reason Continentals Z class equivalent fares always come out cheaper than Virgins on the same plane (BA always match VS prices, but not the Clubhouse)
Our child flies with us and the individual seats in UC are not a problem as we choose the closest together. With Continentla you still can disturb the passenger beside tyyou when trying to get to the lavs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.