Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Great commentary on DL's F service, Otter. I had my first DL domestic F experience last Sunday, ATL-MCO on the 764. Since it was a short flight, it was hard to really come to a more conclusive opinion about domestic F on DL, but overall, it was quite an enjoyable flight. My biggest complaint was the 2-2-2 seating, which on 767s results in F/J seats that are only slightly wider than the 2-3-2 Y seats on those planes. Other than the width, seat comfort was fine, about equal to CO's domestic F seats. I didn't use the IFE since the flight was so short, but it looked about equal to what CO has on the 767s and non-AVOD 777s. The snack basket on a flight of that length (one hour) does beat CO's two bags of peanuts or pretzels. And I do like DL's signature cocktail program -- the Big Apple gets a ^^^. I wish they'd bring back the Mile High Mojito though.

Having flown domestic F on CO, NW, DL, and UA in the last six months, I'd be thrilled if someone offered the following domestic F product:
  • A seat that combines CO's basic design, with the softer padding of the better DL domestic F seats.
  • For full meal service, CO's entrées and soups with dessert selected from the best of the bunch (NW's chocolate cake and Ben and Jerry's, CO's sundaes, etc.). For hot sandwiches, use UA's bread, which doesn't get soggy in the ovens like CO's. Offer a salad instead of soup with dinner, like NW does.
  • The abundance of in-seat power one finds on much of the DL and UA fleets. I'll even live with EmPower, since I have the adapter. But CO's standard 110 outlet would be even better.
  • The attentiveness of the FAs I've generally had on CO, UA, and my one F experience on DL.
  • CO's selection of alcohol, minus the wines. Not sure which of these has the best wine choices, but I've only seen Bombay Sapphire on CO.
  • For non-alcoholic beverages, forget NW's Pepsi and go with Coke products, but also add Dr. Pepper back to the selection.
  • CO's consistency with pre-departure drinks, and offering full selection of pre-departure drinks (UA tends to walk around with water and orange juice; NW can be highly inconsistent as to whether you get offered anything or not). DL's small water bottles at the seat, in addition to a pre-departure beverage, are also a nice touch.
  • NW and DL's legrests, for those who want them (my legs are really too long for them to be comfortable).
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ssullivan
And I do like DL's signature cocktail program -- the Big Apple gets a ^^^. I wish they'd bring back the Mile High Mojito though.
If you have an old copy of a DL Sky Magazine, it should have the ingredients listed. If they still offer whatever mixer(s) went into it, the FA should still be able to make it (or provide you with the raw ingredients).

Originally Posted by ssullivan
Having flown domestic F on CO, NW, DL, and UA in the last six months, I'd be thrilled if someone offered the following domestic F product: ...
  • CO's selection of alcohol, minus the wines. Not sure which of these has the best wine choices, but I've only seen Bombay Sapphire on CO.
  • NW and DL's legrests, for those who want them (my legs are really too long for them to be comfortable).
Ah, my specialty. Yes, CO gets a definite ^ for Bombay Sapphire. In Europe, AFAIK, even BA stocks only regular Bombay (at least back in steerage). I would appreciate a semi-premium Bourbon selection though. DL definitely gets a ^^^ for stocking Woodford Reserve

As to the footrests, amen.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
If you have an old copy of a DL Sky Magazine, it should have the ingredients listed. If they still offer whatever mixer(s) went into it, the FA should still be able to make it (or provide you with the raw ingredients).
It used a special mix, which DL is no longer stocking. Word is it may return, as they are cycling the signature cocktails seasonally.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA MM
I was on an IAH-OAK flight the other day and the FA came around to take preflight drink orders. Some guy, apparently thinking he was on Delta, actually asked for a "Mile High Passion Fruit Mojito". Several other people immediately wanted one too. It took a few seconds before it was established that we were on CO, not DL.

(Actually, the FA said something to the effect of "I don't know what airline serves that.")
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:23 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
I acutally mentioned FT in an interview.

Note a new low point in the life of J.Edward!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J.Edward
^ But, no details?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
We talking a job interview or a "tell us about yourself" interview for an off the wall column? If it was the former, I hope you didn't give them a time allotment or bandwidth need requirement
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:28 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by sdm1130
^ But, no details?
Yeah...and no offer either! (but then again it's only been two days!).

Originally Posted by hartmann
We talking a job interview or a "tell us about yourself" interview for an off the wall column? If it was the former, I hope you didn't give them a time allotment or bandwidth need requirement
T'was the former!

Seriously though the question was something along the lines of "prove to us that you know how to communicate with people" to which I sighted (briefly!) what we've don at FT.

...and that of course is work together to talk to decision makers at a fortune 500 company, and arguably one of the best run legacies, to bring about change.

The catch is of course 1) not looking insane 2) not boring the people with an abridged history of FT and 3) explaining how the change was meaningful.

I think it worked as they two people doing the interview (from a major Houston based energy company) seemed to react positively and asked quite a few follow up questions.

Last edited by J.Edward; Oct 22, 2007 at 9:34 pm
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Patience is good in the job search. Actually the worst jobs I've had were ones where an offer came very quickly. The best (current job) took over two months and three interviews before an offer came.

Good luck on the exams and job search!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary

T'was the former!

Seriously though the question was something along the lines of "prove to us that you know how to communicate with people" to which I sighted (briefly!) what we've don at FT.

...and that of course is work together to talk to decision makers at a fortune 500 company, and arguably one of the best run legacies, to bring about change.

The catch is of course 1) not looking insane 2) not boring the people with an abridged history of FT and 3) explaining how the change was meaningful.

I think it worked as they two people doing the interview (from a major Houston based energy company) seemed to react positively and asked quite a few follow up questions.
Buck up mate, I have been looking for a job for over a year now and I haven't suitably impressed the interviewers yet.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Dear God, domestic mileage runs are brutal. I'm in a state this morning, likely from sleep deprivation over the weekend. A quick weekend in AMS is less trying than zig-zagging across the country and having to wake up repeatedly at 4-5a.m. over the course of a weekend to catch the first flight of the day.

The thought of keeping a half-empty bottle of Bourbon on my desk whilst methodically sharpening a Bowie knife has a certain bent appeal to it at the moment - best to send out a clear signal that I'm engaged in very important business, and not to be disturbed this week
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Dear God, domestic mileage runs are brutal. I'm in a state this morning, likely from sleep deprivation over the weekend. A quick weekend in AMS is less trying than zig-zagging across the country and having to wake up repeatedly at 4-5a.m. over the course of a weekend to catch the first flight of the day.

The thought of keeping a half-empty bottle of Bourbon on my desk whilst methodically sharpening a Bowie knife has a certain bent appeal to it at the moment - best to send out a clear signal that I'm engaged in very important business, and not to be disturbed this week
ALCO, the head of my school's career services department was just sacked, I think I'll join you in the bourbon swilling.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by colpuck
ALCO, the head of my school's career services department was just sacked, I think I'll join you in the bourbon swilling.
Is there anything better to do at 9:00a.m. on a Tuesday? I think not...
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold

I have trouble waking up when it is still dark outside. Even if I to go to bed at 8:30 pm to get up at 4:30 am in order to catch a first flight of the day, I never feel completely awake until after sunrise, even though I got eight hours of sleep. I noticed today that in DC, it is still fairly dark at 7:00 am, and it is hard to get up before then, even if I've had more than eight hours sleep. In the summer, I find it much easier to get up earlier due to earlier sunrises.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
T'was the former!

That's actually pretty good quick thinking IMO. ^

Good luck with the interviews!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.