Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 6:12 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fozz
Yeah, Vegas is bad. I was there last week and was surprised as to how light it was.
We were supposed to be in Vegas right now - as SPG had a special deal at Planet Hollywood for Platinum members... but the cost of flights from CLE-LAS was just stupid, so we pulled out.

It looks like there are some great deals out in Vegas, you just can't get there for a reasonable price.

Instead, we used that money and installed a new floor in the kitchen ourselves. Now quite as fun as Vegas... but it certainly was a crap-shoot as to whethere we had any idea as to what we were doing Luckily, it all turned out very, very well!
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
I used to think Vegas was a good idea, but I found myself thinking of one of Hartmann's posts as everything was going down yesterday. He was saying that his current job if anything made him dumber, and we got some laughs out of that given how it was written. I'm in total agreement w/r/t my own situation.

Honda dealers are fairly easy when it comes to new keys...but if he has a Civic, there should also be a valet key laying around someplace. It doesn't have the chip and it won't open the glovebox or trunk, but it will open the doors and turn the ignition. It's a pale shade of gray. At least with my 2003, I got two black keys and one gray.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by fozz
As the person flying with him, I really hope there are no audacious and unmitigated stories!
Since I couldn't get the PTY trip to work, I thought I'd send my regards this way instead.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The trees outside my windows have almost lost all of their leaves. I'm not ready for the winter...
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Scott6067
If you go to a dealer which is the only way to get a new key at this point I believe. You will need the registration information for the car. The process takes about an hour or so depending on the dealership. At least that is what i experienced after my SEA trip.
Yep, we're headed to a Honda dealer this afternoon.

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Honda dealers are fairly easy when it comes to new keys...but if he has a Civic, there should also be a valet key laying around someplace. It doesn't have the chip and it won't open the glovebox or trunk, but it will open the doors and turn the ignition. It's a pale shade of gray. At least with my 2003, I got two black keys and one gray.
Unfortunately I don't think he has a valet key. He has a 2006 Civic but he's never mentioned having a valet key and I've never seen one. I have a 2006 Accord and have a valet key, so fortunately we still have an extra key to my car with that one, although I do use it for valets and would feel safer if we eventually get a replacement "real" key for the one to my car that was lost. And I think while we're at it today we're going to get two keys for his car.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
I used to think Vegas was a good idea, but I found myself thinking of one of Hartmann's posts as everything was going down yesterday. He was saying that his current job if anything made him dumber, and we got some laughs out of that given how it was written. I'm in total agreement w/r/t my own situation.
Very sorry to hear about the job loss. I can't imagine the weight of the stress.

I do think that if we are not challenged or our brains are not fully engaged during our work, we slowly lose interest and become less inclined to learn. During my review I mentioned this and sadly, my boss did not see it as a big deal.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm. So be it. I thought gray keys were standard-issue. But then again, it could be in the car. Purpose defeated.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Very sorry to hear about the job loss. I can't imagine the weight of the stress.

I do think that if we are not challenged or our brains are not fully engaged during our work, we slowly lose interest and become less inclined to learn. During my review I mentioned this and sadly, my boss did not see it as a big deal.
Thanks, and I'm with you totally on this. It was challenging to be there, but for the wrong reasons. The system was set up to not permit any leeway in anything. We also had to sell gift cards (ugh) and administrate the old people electric scooter program...and woe betide us if we were sold out of scooters for the day. It was not what a real concierge should be, actually quite far from it. I'm sad to be looking for work, but I'm thrilled to be gone.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Very well put - I could not agree more. What a shame that your boss did you see it as a big deal.

This is something that I have, unfortunately, started to feel in my job recently as well. My responsibilities and focus will be changing drastically in the new year and I'll be working in a new area of the business. Maybe that will give me a fresh outlook on things and I will be presented with some more challenges - I'm not optimistic.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
What is up YYC next week? I know there is a holiday but the only availability on CO is D and no one else is showing any (DL through SLC is full).
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: UA and HH
Mike, any chance of you going back to the Trop?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
CM, sorry I'm a bit late on this, but just wanted to send my regards in the face of the lay off. I saw on the ticker on WNBC this morning that the Borgata had done a mass layoff and I'm sorry to see that you were caught up in it.

As others have said, I too have gone through layoffs and although it's never easy, you generally end up in a better spot. Knowing you were itching to get out anyway, I have no doubt you'll land on your feet in a few months and will be happier.

It's never easy (especially with the upcoming wedding, and this wonderful economy of ours) but stay positive, keep posting in the box, and know you have friends out there that are always willing to help.

If there's anything I can do, you have my email.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by sdm1130
Wow - I missed a busy day in The Box.

Thank you to those who gave input on KE redemptions - I'm still a bit worried. I'd like to do [JFK|ORD|ATL|IAD|DFW|LAX|SFO|SEA]-ICN (stopover)-BKK on KE but flying NW or CO to NRT or HKG could also be possibilities. I know DL also does ATL-ICN, but I'd have to make sure they use their lie-flat BE seats on that route...

We'd also like to get down to SYD or AKL, but that would likely be a separate ticket that I'll just purchase.

Oh the fun...
You cannot mix CO and DL on the TPAC segments with onward flights on KE at the 120k level. If you are going onward from NRT or another gateway city on KE, you can only use KE or NW on the TPAC segments. If you were to use NW all the way to BKK, however, you could use CO, NW, or DL on the TPAC segments.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CM, maybe you can get a job at CO as a concierge?

I think the general job requirements are evading customers and doing nothing.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WHOA. Just checked the price of flights between NYC and DCA - DL (Y) fares on the shuttle r/t are in the 300's for next month.

CO is still selling H fares on the whirley birds for 600+. Who in their right mind would buy that?

Looks like I'll be mad dogging it. Yet again. (Which I'm fine with)

Edited to add: even better. For the flight times I need it's $149 round-trip including taxes (!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.